Just told this guy I like I have a weave/lf. . .now what

OK so this guy and I were having dinner and I like him a lot, it wasn't a date really, I do like him, and he probably knows that but it was just dinner between two friends. Anyway we were talking about hair, not sure how it happened, and I said something like yeah my own hair is curly, and he's like do you have a weave? and I was like well for now. Really its a lace front. I know I could have said no this is all my hair etc. but it kind of happened quickly. I then went into the whole explanation of why (which is basically), I'm lazy about it, don't feel like wearing a perm, don't want to deal with the nagging from my family about being natural..

Anyway long story short, I ask him, does that kind of stuff matter to guys ( I said I just wanted a guys perspective, and he was like yeah it does, so I said what's the preference, and he said well it depends it just matters what makes the woman look good overall.

Talked about how I wanted to change it, and he was curious how I would change my hair, (e.g. wear it curly, straight etc)Changed topic after that, but then of course I felt totally exposed I know because of my own big mouth. Now this may be a dumb question, but did I just ruin the possibility of anything happening with this guy because I was so honest about my hairstyle. The reason I was honest, was because, i think its so obvious when people have lacefronts, weaves, etc. Even if its a good job I can just tell. Also I know some people we both knew also knew about my hair, so rather than perpetuate the lie, I was just honest.
Ugg sometimes, my mouth is so big

I've had those moments where I think I said too much.
At least you were completely open and honest. This way if he has a problem with it, you will know right off.

I don't know how I feel about this. I tell folks upfront that I have a weave (if they ask). I don't really care about other folks' opinions because I'm the one paying for my hair. If he doesn't like it oh well. I believe that if a guy really likes you, he'll be able to look past it. He might encourage you to wear your own hair though.

Don't worry yourself about it. Its better to be honest now than for him to later try to run his finger thru your scalp and get caught in a web of weavaliousiness. :look:

If he's into and digs your personality, I think you are okay! And like he said, if it fits you and looks good, then work it! :yep:

OK so this guy and I were having dinner and I like him a lot, it wasn't a date really, I do like him, and he probably knows that but it was just dinner between two friends. Anyway we were talking about hair, not sure how it happened, and I said something like yeah my own hair is curly, and he's like do you have a weave? and I was like well for now. Really its a lace front. I know I could have said no this is all my hair etc. but it kind of happened quickly. I then went into the whole explanation of why (which is basically), I'm lazy about it, don't feel like wearing a perm, don't want to deal with the nagging from my family about being natural..

Anyway long story short, I ask him, does that kind of stuff matter to guys ( I said I just wanted a guys perspective, and he was like yeah it does, so I said what's the preference, and he said well it depends it just matters what makes the woman look good overall.

Talked about how I wanted to change it, and he was curious how I would change my hair, (e.g. wear it curly, straight etc)Changed topic after that, but then of course I felt totally exposed I know because of my own big mouth. Now this may be a dumb question, but did I just ruin the possibility of anything happening with this guy because I was so honest about my hairstyle. The reason I was honest, was because, i think its so obvious when people have lacefronts, weaves, etc. Even if its a good job I can just tell. Also I know some people we both knew also knew about my hair, so rather than perpetuate the lie, I was just honest.
Ugg sometimes, my mouth is so big

Yes, to most guys it matters. I know cause they've told me. To some, they absolutely can't date a girl with a weave. To others, they don't care. IT's good you were honest in the beginning. :yep:

Don't worry yourself about it. Its better to be honest now than for him to later try to run his finger thru your scalp and get caught in a web of weavaliousiness. :look:

Basically, LOL.

Don't even trip, girl.

If it's that big a deal to him, tell he is more than welcome to K.I.M.

Unless you're coming to my house every damn morning to do my hair, I don't wanna hear nada about my weave/braids/wig, whatever.

OP. You are so cute right now with your reaction. You told him that your hair isn't naturally yours big deal. You act like you told him you have herpes or something. Seriously girl, he has to like you for you. Regardless if you today is a lace front weave, and you tomorrow is an afro puff. I look at hair as an expression of who you are not what you are. I'm sure you were charming and you will have another date with him. Don't even trip

it is good that you were honest about that because you are natural and he might have a problem with that and he might want to wear a weave all of the time because of that.

right now, i think he's curious about what you look without the lacefront and i think that's acceptable. some people's look can change depending on hair, imo. if the state of your own hair isn't poor then i don't think this should be much of an issue; if it is then move on. this is what i would do if i were in your situation since my natural hair is well maintained yet i wear fake hair too much to be with someone who really hates it.

Last edited:
Well my natural hair is healthy,but it DEFINTIELY needs a cut and style right now. I haven't decided if I am going to to the texturizer thing, cut it down or just keep wearing the lace. I did my own hair yesterday and I was looking in the mirror I realized I missed seeing myself with th natural twists, and twist-outs. Not sure if I am ready to go back to that but I might. Anyways, I know if he likes me he's got to like me for me all of me. But I guess, its just weird. It wasn't really a date anyway, just dinner, still no formal date yet, I guess I'll see if this changes things now. . .

Back