Just because your are half white does not mean.....

wow thats funny.. i'm not bi-racial.. many people think i am because my hair like 3b-3c(i think).. i'm told that too.. in my opinion its about how u take care of your hair.. but i always thought if coarse hair was treated right it would grow long because it wouldn't break like soft fine hair.. and can endure alot more heat. idk.. i say that because my friends and can rollerset as often as a week and touch up with flat iron.. and their hair is long they retain alot of length .. but i cant.. my hair breaks so easy even though i rollerset every 2weeks.. i am more successful growing my hair without using any heat.

Last edited:
I agree. My friend is white/black and her hair is just below her shoulders straightened. I've known her for years and when her hair is wet, she has TWA just like everybody else. :lachen:

I think if you have a non-black mother, you're really at a disadvantage because she won't have a CLUE what to do with your hair. :perplexed

Everyone's hair is different period. Just because you have white in yoou does not mean no hair problems. Also just because youu have 4a/b be hair does not mean it is not going to grow or is is going to be hard to style. Next!

Sh :Rose:

Race, hair type and skin color have nothing to do with hair growth and being able to reach long lengths, you have to know how to care for your particular hair type. You cant go getting perms and flat irons expecting your hair to be waist length just becuase you know other girls that use them, no:nono: everyone hair type is different, everyone cannot do the same hair practices and get the same results

hair growth is mostly gentics, I came across this vid on youtube of a darkskin 100% black female who has very long hair, and on her other vids it showed her mom and sis who have long hair also becuase of genetics, not becuase of race/or skin color
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYnLb4XHqDI&feature=related

Well I'm not mixed, but I have the same problem, people think I'm adopted, in grade school, I got asked if I was indian, or if I was mixed, and it bothered me because I thought that maybe I was adopted, my parents are brown skin......my hair was always long....and I didn't know much about hair.....and when I went into the Navy EVERYONE thought I was Hawaiian, or Samoan(sp?), I mean I had to fight with others to prove I'm black, I mean I'm not 100% black, I'm not African, but my parents are black(their ancestors might have other mixtures).....my hair just grew.....my hair can take a lot of abuse......I mean I actually called my mother when I was in Great Lakes, IL for bootcamp, and asked her if I had any pacific island in me or was there any in her family or my dad's family because someone asked me if I was hawaiian, and I mean being black didn't cross their mind, just recently(right after new years) I was in a hispanic club, and a guy asked me if I was hawaiian!!!!! I mean DANG, CAN A SISTA BE BLACK????.....and with my child, she's her father's skin tone, people look at her like I adopted her......and when my mom is with me, they asked "oh is this your child(to my mom) and then I say "this is my daughter" and they look at me funny.......so not just being mixed but being light skin people think you are mixed or have "a good grade of hair" I mean ANY woman can grow their hair to great lengths if they let it.....I mean I'm just picturing myself having waist length hair, I know then no one will believe I'm black.....girl try proving to people that your black, it's hard for me, especially when you have to sit back and think about why people don't think I'm black........it bothers me a lot.....and it hurts me a little.......but I feel you though...........sorry so long....had to get this off my chest..

I really really feel you on the part when you go somewhere with your mom!
Most people think we are friends they always look at us in shock we we tell them we are mother and daughter!

I really really feel you on the part when you go somewhere with your mom!
Most people think we are friends they always look at us in shock we we tell them we are mother and daughter!

Yep we get that all the time. My mom is white (but tanned) with reddish brown hair bone straight hair. And here comes me..with the head full of brown/red tinged curls.

Anyway, people are ignorant. Trust me i've had plently of 4a/b friends who would get their hair done together, and when i would ask to go with (just to keep them company) they would revolt and ask/tell me all kinds of things..here are a few of my favorites:

*why would you want to go with us, you wouldnt even know whats going on
*why, you have good hair!
*my momma aint white like yours, I have to get my hair PERMED
*you got that wet and go hair u just be wetting it and going!
*the only reason you got extra spending money is because you dont have to get your hair did once a week like us
*why are you trying to get a weave, your hair is already good!!
*The only reason guys like you is because you have good hair :wallbash:
*I dont even know why you have a hot comb you its not like your hair is relaxed
*You dont need that expensive CHI flatiron, you just need a blowdryer.. you should let ME HAVE your flat iron instead of you wasting it on your good hair :lachen:

I mean yes my hair is different than alot of peoples, but its difficult to manage as well. No one seems to understand :nono:

One time i even let one of them do my hair (while curly) .. and, she almost had a heartattack. She was like WOW how do you brush this? :look: After digging in my head for a few minutes, she gave up. :drunk:

Bottom line... the Grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side... most of us don't have 1, 2, or 3 type hair. SO we assume it's easier. Why do we assume this (I'm speaking universally), because THAT IS WHAT WE SEE! Whether we see it in real life around us, on TV, or in a magazine... that is what we see.

I'm not saying it's 100%, 50% or 0% accurate, but that's the way it really is... I'm not going to play it like LHCF has completely changed something I thought for the last 28 years of my life. I'd be lying to y'all if I sat here and said I don't see more Latina, Asian, and white women EVERYDAY that have long hair... I don't see that same percentage wise with Black women (regardless of mixture). Now, of course I have no clue what those women do or have done to get long hair, so I don't assume. Prime example... I work with an Asian lady that had a chin length bob when I first started working here in Oct. 07... The chick has BSL hair today! So, instead of assuming she just grows hair faster because she's Taiwanese, I asked her... "what have you been doing to grow your hair?". Guess what she told me... NOTHING! She said she just decided not to cut it anymore because her husband likes longer hair.

NOW, me being regular ole black girl; I didn't think "oh, LHCF has taught me that black women can have long hair the same way... yada yada yada". The first thing that REALLY came to my mind, was DANG, I wish I had it like that! :look: I ain't ashamed to tell y'all that, cuz it's really how I felt in that split second she said "nothing"! But I do understand logically how and why hair grows. I don't believe that just because someone has a specific ethnic background they are destined to have long flowing hair... All I know is that in the same time the Asian chick that works with me grew from CL to BSL, I was hustling with my "regimine" and "bunning" and I still barely have APL hair :( :look:

Y'all can throw stones at me now... LOL!

And for the record, I did not (nor am I trying to) say that all or any mixed chicks have any easier time growing their hair. I think people who typcially treat their hair well have an easier time. That's not to say there aren't some long haired folks that don't do ish and they STILL have long hair. Same as people who treat their bodies well have an easier time maintaining their weight. Tis all.... I just wish it was ME on both accords :)

Last edited:
I keep getting remarks from the women on my dad's side of the family especially my cousin......she keeps going on and on about how her hair can't grow like mine cuz she aint mixed and how I got good hair.....she insists on relaxing her hair as soon as there is NEW GROWTH( every three to four weeks) and does a corrective relaxer everytime:wallbash:.....If I try and tell her anything about her hair she tells me I would not know anyway cuz I have good hair and (OUR )hair is different to mine...

It is just a weak cop-out because it is easier to just believe you can't have healthy or long hair because of texture or race or genetics and to then do nothing about it than to actually learn something about hair and haircare and realize that most of what you're doing to your hair isn't healthy and that most so-called knowledge about "black" hair types is myth and misinformation.
Women who like excuses do this to anyone because they can always find something that they think makes the other woman the exception.
I don't bother with most folks because I've gotten the bs about having different hair because I'm "mixed" or because I'm "light", because my hair isn't really kinky/nappy only 'kinda kinky' so I have an easier time, because such and such family member has "good hair" and passed those "white" genes to me... all this in spite of the fact that I am brown and my hair is kinky and nothing about my appearance puts me outside of the norm and I was in the same boat as everyone else as a teen with my barely shoulder length relaxed hair that never seemed to grow. Instead of seeing my journey as proof of the potential different hair types have some women look for ways to undermine my blackness in order to prove that we're so different.
If you're dark it would still continue, someone would say you must be part Indian or got lucky with genetics or are in some way exceptional... all of that to really say they don't want your advice and don't want to change because they have convinced themselves that black hair is inferior (and because they are lazy)

This thread has really opened my eyes. I have a white friend with naturally bone straight hair, no color, no chemicals, and it keeps splitting at two inches!!!

Using advice from here, I got her off of sulfate shampoos, but now she's at 3 inches and it's breaking again! I don't know what to tell her... moisture/protein?

I am guilty of thinking biracial = easy hair. (although I would never try to make someone feel "different" because of it) You guys are clearing that up! THanks.

You can change the title to "just because you're white, or chinese, or indian or puerto rican" etc. None of that is a guarantee. If your cuz reads around the web, she will see white folks having the same hair issues. Those hollywood bimbettes aren't wearing fusion weaves for no reason.
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Okay can I say this....I don't think white people's hair is longer because of their racial background.

I think their hair is long because they are able to hold on to their growth unlike a large percentage of AA.

If AA is the weakest of all of the hair types AND we appy relaxers AND we apply harsh styling products AND harsh styling tools AND a variety of harsh hair styles, from what i have learned here, we don't have long hair because we can't keep it. IT BREAKS OFF!

Sorry for yelling but I've been natural off and on since 97 and my hair would not grow past neck length. The reason....dryness and breakage and bad hair styling and harsh products.

We can't say it doesn't grow OR we (AA Women) would not be puting on relaxers every 4-6 weeks. Growth is not the issue....retention is.

Once that idea is widespread enough, maybe some of this nonsense about race and length will go away...

Re: Just because your are half white does not mean.....

I have a co-worker who says stuff like this all the time when someone new comes around, particularly black men, just to inform everyone that she‘s biracial.. We could be talking about oranges

Yep we get that all the time. My mom is white (but tanned) with reddish brown hair bone straight hair. And here comes me..with the head full of brown/red tinged curls.

Anyway, people are ignorant. Trust me i've had plently of 4a/b friends who would get their hair done together, and when i would ask to go with (just to keep them company) they would revolt and ask/tell me all kinds of things..here are a few of my favorites:

*why would you want to go with us, you wouldnt even know whats going on
*why, you have good hair!
*my momma aint white like yours, I have to get my hair PERMED
*you got that wet and go hair u just be wetting it and going!
*the only reason you got extra spending money is because you dont have to get your hair did once a week like us
*why are you trying to get a weave, your hair is already good!!
*The only reason guys like you is because you have good hair :wallbash:
*I dont even know why you have a hot comb you its not like your hair is relaxed
*You dont need that expensive CHI flatiron, you just need a blowdryer.. you should let ME HAVE your flat iron instead of you wasting it on your good hair :lachen:

I mean yes my hair is different than alot of peoples, but its difficult to manage as well. No one seems to understand :nono:

One time i even let one of them do my hair (while curly) .. and, she almost had a heartattack. She was like WOW how do you brush this? :look: After digging in my head for a few minutes, she gave up. :drunk:

You are cracking me up!
Everything you said is so true lol:grin:

I have a co-worker who says stuff like this all the time when someone new comes around, particularly black men, just to inform everyone that she‘s biracial.. We could be talking about oranges
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I feel you! I am not mixed, I have two black parents. When my hair was just gracing shoulder length, no one said I had " good" hair.
Well, when I came across this forum and started taking care of my hair and retaining what I was growing and all of a sudden I hear comments like " yeah, you have that good hair that grows really fast because your light" WTF!
I realize its just IGNORANCE so now I dont even try to explain...

LIKE RUSSEL SIMMONS SAYS "JUST DO YOU"

I had a friend from Botswana who was pregnant by a half Belgian half Tunisian man, she came over to the house to get her hair done (braids) and was complaining about her 'no good hair'. Then she said: Well, at least my child won't have to go through this. The child is now three years old I think, and has Thandie Newton complexion with 4a/b coarse hair:rolleyes:

As long as you look good and feel good about the time you put into your hair, who cares what anyone else thinks; or who cares who thinks you look mixed, as long as you know who you are. I'm not mixed, I'm a caramel-brown complexion and I have been getting those dumb comments for so long. "You got that good hair, or "You got indian in your family" BS. Who cares. I just laugh and say, 'Oh well, I guess you don't want my help.' You can't help people who don't want to be helped. I have seen many of blonde fine-haired girls not grow their hair past neck length after knowing them for years!

Many white or non-black girls with fine hair or who abuse heat and hair dye have broken off, damaged hair and have the same problems we have--especially those with curly hair. I've also known many of mixed chick who can't grown their hair either because of heat and chemical abuse trying to make their hair live up to the image of mixed girls having "good hair."

Bottom line... the Grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side... most of us don't have 1, 2, or 3 type hair. SO we assume it's easier. Why do we assume this (I'm speaking universally), because THAT IS WHAT WE SEE! Whether we see it in real life around us, on TV, or in a magazine... that is what we see.

I'm not saying it's 100%, 50% or 0% accurate, but that's the way it really is... I'm not going to play it like LHCF has completely changed something I thought for the last 28 years of my life. I'd be lying to y'all if I sat here and said I don't see more Latina, Asian, and white women EVERYDAY that have long hair... I don't see that same percentage wise with Black women (regardless of mixture). Now, of course I have no clue what those women do or have done to get long hair, so I don't assume. Prime example... I work with an Asian lady that had a chin length bob when I first started working here in Oct. 07... The chick has BSL hair today! So, instead of assuming she just grows hair faster because she's Taiwanese, I asked her... "what have you been doing to grow your hair?". Guess what she told me... NOTHING! She said she just decided not to cut it anymore because her husband likes longer hair.

NOW, me being regular ole black girl; I didn't think "oh, LHCF has taught me that black women can have long hair the same way... yada yada yada". The first thing that REALLY came to my mind, was DANG, I wish I had it like that! :look: I ain't ashamed to tell y'all that, cuz it's really how I felt in that split second she said "nothing"! But I do understand logically how and why hair grows. I don't believe that just because someone has a specific ethnic background they are destined to have long flowing hair... All I know is that in the same time the Asian chick that works with me grew from CL to BSL, I was hustling with my "regimine" and "bunning" and I still barely have APL hair :( :look:

Y'all can throw stones at me now... LOL!

And for the record, I did not (nor am I trying to) say that all or any mixed chicks have any easier time growing their hair. I think people who typcially treat their hair well have an easier time. That's not to say there aren't some long haired folks that don't do ish and they STILL have long hair. Same as people who treat their bodies well have an easier time maintaining their weight. Tis all.... I just wish it was ME on both accords :)

Agreed.

Even though I don't think my race is the deciding factor in whether or not I am able to grow my hair out, I do understand that my hair is different. I need to cater to those needs. No one race has it made. While I would love to have nice tight smooth hair cuticles like a white chick with 2b hair, I wouldn't trade my "black don't crack" skin for it any day of the week.

I have my own theories as to why white women who regularly abuse their hair "seem" not to have the same problems as we do but I will keep those to myself.

1. Once you learn about good hair care you ill see that whites can have some of the unhealthiest hair on earth. Really...some times I have to keep from staring and making weird faces(:perplexed:ohwell::nono:). But since many blacks only see length the ignore the beauty and thickness of our hair

2. The funny thing is that if blacks took good care of their hair, it could behave very differently. It wouldn't be so hard or "bad" to have it you stopped trying to make it do things that it can't do or putting crazy things in it.

3. In terms of biracial hair. It can vary so much. there actually isn't such a thing as biracial hair, just like there is not one definition of black hair (it could be 3c to 4z to "c-napp"). I've seen some white chicks who have 4z hair. Then they get that Japanese straightening thing and things so south. I think this is a problem among whites. Just as we have been trained to think our hair is bad, they have been trained to think their hair is good and that they don't have to do certain care steps

Last edited:
My SO is bi-racial and he had the most dry scruffy hair...I mean scrubbing pad dry, could use his hair to exfoliate your skin and a dry flaky scalp to go with it...until i introduced him to co-washing and leave in conditioner. So like all the other ladies said, i think healthy hair comes with taking care of it, not with your race.

Here's my 2 cents on this subject....I have heard this over and over again my whole life. Oh you have good hair. I never thought much about it nor did I care. Yes my hair grows fast and I can retain length very easily. I didn't use protein, stretch, DC, wear protective styles or refrain from heat. Is it because I'm biracial or because I have "good" genes? Who's to say the good gene isn't the black one?? At the end of the day, does it really matter? Does it make me less of a black women?
OP be proud of who and what you are. IMO that's all that matters

I have a co-worker whom I just found out was bi-racial; her mom is white. I didn't even know that. This girl has very thin, short hair and she wears weaves 95% of the time.

I agree with other posters that so-called "racial" makeup doesn't always correlate with the hair type you have. There are mixed "c-napps" and straight-up African 3bs. The part that does matter to some extent is the hair type. Length retention, not growth rate is usually the culprit. I think that growth rate is more or less independent of hair type. (Race too, for that matter!)

Curly hair is harder to grow out than straight hair because every time the hair shaft bends or twists, there is a weak spot and a point of potential breakage. The more curl, the more weak spots. Especially, if your hair is fine, the kinkier the hair, the more work you will have to do or restrictions you will have to practice to keep it. I believe strongly, though it may be unpopular, that as a general rule a looser curl makes length retention less of an uphill battle. There are always exceptions but these only reinforce the rule.

Do I think the "c-napps" of the world can grow long hair? Of course! You have some on this board with hair down to their butts. When I read their reggies, though, it becomes clear that they must baby their hair to a degree that straighter types usually don't in order to maintain their length. There's no point in them getting mad and refusing to face facts. They just do what they need to do!

My own hair is a tight 3c with bit of 4a. I have no chems. I generally retain length a little better than my full 4a or 4b friends and relatives with no chems. Still, I get far more regular breakage than my type 1 and 2 friends or even my looser type 3 friends and relatives with similar hair habits. The only time they have issues with length retention the way I do is when they abuse chemicals or engage in severe neglect.

Everyone has to do some work maintain hair health but I am under no illusions. :look:

My type 1 friends who can run a fine tooth comb directly through dry hair don't have nearly as many hoops to jump through as someone like me who knows that if she wants to keep her hair, she needs to comb it sopping wet, loaded with conditioner and with a garden rake. :lachen: I don't have to like it or think its fair... that doesn't make it any less true.

I don't bother with most folks because I've gotten the bs about having different hair because I'm "mixed" or because I'm "light", because my hair isn't really kinky/nappy only 'kinda kinky' so I have an easier time, because such and such family member has "good hair" and passed those "white" genes to me... all this in spite of the fact that I am brown and my hair is kinky and nothing about my appearance puts me outside of the norm and I was in the same boat as everyone else as a teen with my barely shoulder length relaxed hair that never seemed to grow. Instead of seeing my journey as proof of the potential different hair types have some women look for ways to undermine my blackness in order to prove that we're so different.

This has been my experience although my hair is definitely 4a/b. Even some family that should know better say the same type of thing!

Back