I've Decided....

Blessed_Angel

1. That rollersetting every week is taking up too much of my time. I will have to do wet wraps and sit under the dryer. And airdry in the winter.

2. That protein is my #1 hair enemy: not even a relaxer is rated that high. :wallbash:

3. That protein will be used on my hair no more than once a month. :ohwell:

4. That I will not do anymore hair "experiments" until wintertime. In case I don't like how my hair comes out, I could just pony it up. :yep:

5. To accept that 70% of the hair advice or product recs that I recieve does not work for my hair. :nono:

6. To accept that I have yet another hair setback. And that I will eventually BC.

Your turn. :yep:

1. To develop, and stick to, a consistent regimen.
2. To be more adventurous in the products I purchase and use.
3. To make a final decision regarding whether I will continue being natural or will go ahead and texlax my hair (I've been going back and forth for the past 2 years, no joke. :nono:)
4. To stop being lazy and wear my hair in protective styles. For me, that will be twists.
5. To stop playing myself by wearing my hair in a wash and go. My hair type and texture won't allow me to do so without suffering the consequences (ends that knot up on themselves and even other strands).
6. To make more of an effort to stick to products I already know work for me and to resist those that don't work. :yep:

1. To develop, and stick to, a consistent regimen.
2. To be more adventurous in the products I purchase and use.
3. To make a final decision regarding whether I will continue being natural or will go ahead and texlax my hair (I've been going back and forth for the past 2 years, no joke. :nono:)
4. To stop being lazy and wear my hair in protective styles. For me, that will be twists.
5. To stop playing myself by wearing my hair in a wash and go. My hair type and texture won't allow me to do so without suffering the consequences (ends that knot up on themselves and even other strands).
6. To make more of an effort to stick to products I already know work for me and to resist those that don't work. :yep:

I know #2 has been killing you. This decision was driving my friend crazy. :spinning:

I feel you on #6.

1. to fully accept my growth rate if MT doesn't work out for me.
2. to move towards an even simpler regimen.
3. to spend less time on my hair. (goes hand-in-hand with #3)
4. that MT is my last product bandwagon.
5. to throw away some products from my PJ days.
6. to stop breaking off my knots.

1. That rollersetting every week is taking up too much of my time. I will have to do wet wraps and sit under the dryer. And airdry in the winter.

2. That protein is my #1 hair enemy: not even a relaxer is rated that high. :wallbash:

3. That protein will be used on my hair no more than once a month. :ohwell:

4. That I will not do anymore hair "experiments" until wintertime. In case I don't like how my hair comes out, I could just pony it up. :yep:

5. To accept that 70% of the hair advice or product recs that I recieve does not work for my hair. :nono:

6. To accept that I have yet another hair setback. And that I will eventually BC.

Your turn. :yep:

I'll borrow one of yours to start my list off:

1. To accept that 70% of the hair advice or product recs that I recieve does not work for my hair

2. To finally recognize that due to sensitive skin and various allergies I cannot jump on every new trend that comes along.

3. My hair grows much slower than many other lhcfers and not to get discouraged.

4. Not to get discouraged in finding my staples even though it's been two almost years since I joined LHCF. I'm just going to have to take my time.

1. That I am also tired of rollersetting and haven't done it for months.
2. That no matter how much I want to be I am NOT a PJ.
3. That being relaxed does feel like a prison sometimes.
4. That I will seriously consider going natural again and even getting sisterlocks.

1. to fully accept my growth rate if MT doesn't work out for me.
2. to move towards an even simpler regimen.
3. to spend less time on my hair. (goes hand-in-hand with #3)
4. that MT is my last product bandwagon.
5. to throw away some products from my PJ days.
6. to stop breaking off my knots.

Can you clarify #6? You're breaking off your hair?

1) to develop a simple and stable regimen that works for my hair(and another for dd's hair)
2) to spend more time on my hair than i have in the past - no more neglect!
3) to style my hair in styles that make me feel good for atlease 1/2 of the week(tired of buns - even though for me they were not meant to be protective they were just lazy styles - probably the only reason i have any hair left at all since i have been so neglectful
4) cant use too much protein - have to figure out how much is just enough
5) that when you are new to this forum, it's very easy to jump on bandwagons and/ or become a product junkie - is this a stage? to curb this early and save myself some trouble and money in advance.

Well, I've decided to:

1) Not jump on ANY bandwagons...what I'm doing is working so I'm leaving well-enough alone.
2) Do a "substantial" trim at year-end to thicken my ends.

...that

1.that heat is my friend.
2.I cannot follow a majority of what is popular on this board.It just doesn't work for my hair.
3.Doing too much causes setbacks for me.
4.Pre pooing,buttering up,scalp massages,sealing ends,growth aides,juices and berries,vitamins,co washing daily w/o breaks,and no combs/brushes does not,nor will it ever work me and I'm fine with that.

i've decided that i will only use these products.
1. paul mitchell tea tree shampoo/conditioner
paul mitchell moisture mist
paul mitchell heat seal
paul mitchell the detaingler
ojon rt
ojon mist
hairveda cocasta oil
hairveda whipped cream
hairveda green tea butter
keracare 1st lather
keracare foam wrap lotion
aphogee pro vitamine leave in
aphogee 2 minute reconstructor.
banana brulee conditioner
2. i will no longer jump on pj bandwagon
3. i will continue to baggy overnight
4. i will continue to deep condition my hair and do light protein every week
5. to always baby my ends
6. since the relaxer bug has been chirping in my hair latly and i have been undecided about if i should relax or not(its been 11 months) i will not relax for the rest of this year. and then next year we will see what happens.

I know #2 has been killing you. This decision was driving my friend crazy. :spinning:

I feel you on #6.

Yeah, it has been driving me crazy. Part of me is mad that it's taken so long to decide. :nono: Thank you for commiserating, lol! :D

...that

2.I cannot follow a majority of what is popular on this board.It just doesn't work for my hair.
4.Pre pooing,buttering up,scalp massages,sealing ends,growth aides,juices and berries,vitamins,co washing daily w/o breaks,and no combs/brushes does not,nor will it ever work me and I'm fine with that.

If I continue being natural, I am going to become BEST FRIENDS with heat. We will have sleepovers, tea parties, and spend time at the movies together. :yep: I can't say my ends are any better for avoiding it like the plague, the way I have for the past few years. :ohwell:

Unfortunately, if I hadn't been so flagrantly, shamelessly lazy, I would have retained more length. But because I had no regimen (and still kind of don't have one :nono:, and it's been three years since I've joined :nono:) my hair is not where I think it should be.

Yeah, it has been driving me crazy. Part of me is mad that it's taken so long to decide. :nono: Thank you for commiserating, lol! :D

If I continue being natural, I am going to become BEST FRIENDS with heat. We will have sleepovers, tea parties, and spend time at the movies together. :yep: I can't say my ends are any better for avoiding it like the plague, the way I have for the past few years. :ohwell:

Unfortunately, if I hadn't been so flagrantly, shamelessly lazy, I would have retained more length. But because I had no regimen (and still kind of don't have one :nono:, and it's been three years since I've joined :nono:) my hair is not where I think it should be.
:rofl: :rofl: Yeah girl I feel you.The no heat thing didn't do anything special for me and my hair didn't look any better.I had a nice day with heat today :look:

lol...you're welcome. I could only imagine the torment; cause you must like your hair both ways. I think this decision has been holding you back. But making a final decision will make it easier for you to decide on a regimen. I wish you the best in your hair journey. :bighug:

:rofl: :rofl: Yeah girl I feel you.The no heat thing didn't do anything special for me and my hair didn't look any better.I had a nice day with heat today :look:

Actually Elle, you are one of the people who has inspired me to add heat to my hair! I'm getting it flat-ironed this Thursday at an Aveda concept spa. I hope to post pictures of it - the pictures of my hair without heat, and with heat!! So I really must thank you for the pictures, techniques, etc. They're very helpful! :yep: And say "hi" to heat for me, lol :).

lol...you're welcome. I could only imagine the torment; cause you must like your hair both ways. I think this decision has been holding you back. But making a final decision will make it easier for you to decide on a regimen. I wish you the best in your hair journey. :bighug:

Thank you so much, Blessed! :love2: You're absolutely right, when I make the decision, it will make my life much easier. I think my trip to the salon will be an important part of my decision. :yep:

I've Decided That:

1. I have found my hair regimen. Period.
2. Wearing a headband is my protective style
3. I do not need to relax my hairline :nono:

1) to develop a simple and stable regimen that works for my hair(and another for dd's hair)
3) to style my hair in styles that make me feel good for atlease 1/2 of the week(tired of buns - even though for me they were not meant to be protective they were just lazy styles - probably the only reason i have any hair left at all since i have been so neglectful
4) cant use too much protein - have to figure out how much is just enough
5) that when you are new to this forum, it's very easy to jump on bandwagons and/ or become a product junkie - is this a stage? to curb this early and save myself some trouble and money in advance.

CR, be very careful of this. Not everything works for everyone. And there's nothing worse than a setback when you are trying to make progress.

I am not a PJ and I am too cheap to become one. :lachen:Don't let the "fads" turn you into a PJ; you won't like most of the products anyway. :lachen:

I'll borrow one of yours to start my list off:

1. To accept that 70% of the hair advice or product recs that I recieve does not work for my hair

2. To finally recognize that due to sensitive skin and various allergies I cannot jump on every new trend that comes along.

3. My hair grows much slower than many other lhcfers and not to get discouraged.

4. Not to get discouraged in finding my staples even though it's been two almost years since I joined LHCF. I'm just going to have to take my time.

Yeah, Mag, just be patient. Your will grow; just focus on retaining that growth.

You'll find your staples in time. Just keep trying till you find the right one. Success doesn't happen overnight.

1. That I am also tired of rollersetting and haven't done it for months.

2. That no matter how much I want to be I am NOT a PJ.

3. That being relaxed does feel like a prison sometimes.

4. That I will seriously consider going natural again and even getting sisterlocks.

So, how do you set your hair then? I've been trying to figure out the best, fastest and easiest ways. I want the rollersetting results without all the work.

I used to feel like I am in a relaxer prison, but not anymore.

...that

So true. Dag, you've learned all this in such a short amount of time; you tried everything! But atleast you know what does work.

Elle, how is heat your friend? I know I did some damage with my flat iron. What could I do to prevent this from happening if I decide to use heat again?

TIA

Last edited:
Thank you so much, Blessed! :love2: You're absolutely right, when I make the decision, it will make my life much easier. I think my trip to the salon will be an important part of my decision. :yep:

You're very welcome. I hope your salon visit goes well, and help you make a decision. I'd like to see pics too...:grin:

CR, be very careful of this. Not everything works for everyone. And there's nothing worse than a setback when you are trying to make progress.

i am beginning to see this - i think it was my 8yo dd that made me see it - because everytime i would read a thread praising some product the next day i went to the bss to try and find it - to try it. (must say though, that when i saw the price on some of this stuff, i left the store without it:perplexed) whew this is an expensive obsession!
than my dd said, last time we went, "mommy could you please just make a list of stuff you want to get and take ONE trip to the store?" as i was about to reply to her, i realized that i couldnt because i had no idea what it would be tomorrow. i coulnt tell her that, so i vowed to just read and not buy, atlease not right away! :lachen::grin:

1. to C H I L L and K I S S.

2. to take care of all my hair needs myself. I'm a total DIYer now and I'm totally sold on Phyto II.

3. the only reason my hair was "fine and thin" was Affirm relaxer and the stylist who applied it every 6 to 8 weeks....way back when.

4. that OCT and MegaTek are the answers to the prayers of many!

Updates to my fotki are coming up in September! Yaaaayyyy!:grin:

i am beginning to see this - i think it was my 8yo dd that made me see it - because everytime i would read a thread praising some product the next day i went to the bss to try and find it - to try it. (must say though, that when i saw the price on some of this stuff, i left the store without it:perplexed) whew this is an expensive obsession!
than my dd said, last time we went, "mommy could you please just make a list of stuff you want to get and take ONE trip to the store?" as i was about to reply to her, i realized that i couldnt because i had no idea what it would be tomorrow. i coulnt tell her that, so i vowed to just read and not buy, atlease not right away! :lachen::grin:

Looks like you have a smart little girl on your hands. Yeah, PJism is VERY expensive. I'm too cheap for it. And some products are so expensive and not even worth it. :nono:

* To be patient because it will take another 1.5 years for me to get to WSL!
* To not jump on the first product recommendation bandwagon EVERY TIME
* To finger comb my hair on non-wash days
* To support my sisters in their quest for healthy long hair.

So true. Dag, you've learned all this in such a short amount of time; you tried everything! But atleast you know what does work.

Elle, how is heat your friend? I know I did some damage with my flat iron. What could I do to prevent this from happening if I decide to use heat again?

TIA

Find your balance b efore you re-introduce heat.Getting my moisture balance up has been crucial.Deep condition before using heat and MOISTURIZE!Your hair should be hydrated before using heat.

Do something to stretch the hair fist.Make sure your hair is throughly dry before using heat.If its still even the slightest bit damp go back under the dryer!

Last,I would say proper tools and serum.Chi silk infusion is by far the best in my opinion.I don't feel watery spray on heat protection helps protect your hair from heat the way a good serum will nor does it help with the appearance of the hair(getting it straight on one swipe).After one swipe my hair is good to go because the serum helps my hair get straight on one pass therefore I'm not going over the same dull piece a million times trying to get it straight and shiny.Also,I find that even though redken heat glide is good,it wears off over a short amount of time.I mix a small pump of this into my chi silk infusion because it helps with the "hold" since its a bit heavier.If you are really concerned about heat damage,lightly mist your hair with a watery heat protector before going under the dryer AND use the chi silk infusion right before flat ironing.

I know I said a mouthful but in short I would say DC with heat,moisturize,stretch and smooth the hair before straightening, and use a great thermal protector....Pay attention to the way your hair feels and fix up your regimen as needed..

HTH:yep:

Last edited:
Actually Elle, you are one of the people who has inspired me to add heat to my hair! I'm getting it flat-ironed this Thursday at an Aveda concept spa. I hope to post pictures of it - the pictures of my hair without heat, and with heat!! So I really must thank you for the pictures, techniques, etc. They're very helpful! And say "hi" to heat for me, lol .

Wow!I'm happy to know that anything I posted helped you.Make sure your hair is hydrated before hand and you'll be fine.Watch them with the scissors,though .Heat said "come on over to the dark side,girl!" lol

I think a lot of us are deciding the same things.

1. To only try one thing at a time. If I change multiple things at once, I can't tell what's doing what.
2. To not buy any new "moisturizers" or "leave-ins". I know by now that there are no miracles, so I'll just choose what's best out of the ones I've tried. However, I do want to try new labels that I hadn't considered. :grin: Like "pomade", do you know I had never used anything called a "pomade" until a week ago.
3. To make an effort to wear more protective styles. For me, this is going to have to be twists.

1. continue to use the shampoos and conditioners that i already have in my cabinets *im gonna need some conditioner soon*
2. to be more consistent with my protective styles *twists*
3. not straighten more than once every couple of months
4. to be consistent with my vitamins
5. fall in love with giovanni direct leave-in *hopefully*
6. not trim for the rest of the year
7. find a regimen and stick to it

Great thread

I have decided that

1. I will be a self relaxer longer than I had planned to be
2. Fine hair, regardless of density needs consistent fortification
3. No trimming doesn't work for me
4. I will not be apl this year. I could probably make it but since health is my number one concern, I will keep trimming a little longer than I had expected
5. I will get my hair colored, I am not going to live in hair prison and not enjoy my hair
6. As much as I Don't like it, I need to airdry my rollersets more often
7. I need to go back to my 10mg Biotin, it made my hair thicker
8. Megatek/Ovation=strength, growth, happy hair days
9. My scalp CAN NOT do sulfates, Viva La Giovanni

Back