I’ve been wearing a synthetic wig for a year now...

splendid10

Ladies,

I’ve been wearing a synthetic wig for a year now, which I absolutely love the look. I started wearing the wig after I did my BC 10/2006 to go natural for at least the next 5 years of my life. The problem I am having is the cost of this look. I spend $27 a week on a new wig because after a week the wig looks “busted”. For the ladies that wear wigs how do you maintain the hair? How do you keep the wig from matting up, losing it’s shine and curl so quickly. At this rate I am spending more money on the “wig look” than when I had a chemical in my hair.

Thanks,

30/per week? Why not just buy a nice-looking human hair wig that you can wash, condition and re-style? It would cut down on costs considerably. See if the company makes a human wig in the same style as your synthetic.

30/per week? Why not just buy a nice-looking human hair wig that you can wash, condition and re-style? It would cut down on costs considerably. See if the company makes a human wig in the same style as your synthetic.

Good advice...All that money she spent she could have bought a great HH wig and could wash and style it at whim.

LOL. :lachen: I have not learned how to maintain the synthetic hair on this wig. I thought about a “human” hair wig in this same style. I have to look around to see who has this wig I wear in a “human” hair version or look into having one made specifically in this style.

How do you keep the synthetic hair looking fresh and new ? I’m at a lost of how to maintain this synthetic wig. Thanks for all the synthetic hair wig maintenance tips. I'm decreasing my wealth :wallbash: tryin' 2 look fabulous on a daily baisis...

im not understanding why you are having to spend $27/week. All my wigs are synthetic and I dont have to spend $27/week on a new wig....

My wigs last for at least 4 months or more depending on how much im wearing them. I have different wigs that I switch between but right now i am loving to wear this one. I always wear Freetress wigs and dont have a problem. Are you taking the wig off after you get home or are you sleeping in it too?

yhst-2519492840586_1970_84349947
--this is the one that im rocking now...not the one in my avatar pic...thats something else.

yhst-2519492840586_1970_80630618

yhst-2519492840586_1972_51473395

yhst-2519492840586_1970_64309352

You buy a new wig every week? Wow... My wigs only cost 19.99 and I wish I would buy a new one every week. I might as well go get my hair done for all that. If I wear the same one everyday it doesn't get ratty until at least a month has gone by. If I don't wear it every day I can keep them for months. There's a mousse you can get called Wet N Wavy mousse that will make the curls bounce back. You can apply it to the wig dry and then scrunch it with your hands. Only do you this after you've detangled it (if it's a straight wig. Only fingercomb the curly ones) Also, take it off when you go to bed. Don't wear it in the shower. And brush through it with a paddle brush at least once a week. The only place mines really gets knotty is at the nape. But even my weaves do that. HTH...

My synthetic wigs only last 2 weeks and thats when I wear them daily.They cost me between 19.99-24.99 and get matted after 2 weeks. 4 months?!!?! WTF, I need to do what ya'll are doing, ASAP!

Splendid - Can you name the synthetic wig that you love the look of? I am new to wigs and wearing a Freetress - Dallas Girl. I am not crazy about it - it feels like a wig.

That said, I haven't had any problems w/ it in the month that I've haid it. I comb and brush the mess out of it, beause I wouldn't mind if it thinned a little.

I agree with BMore...Take it off when you get home and make sure you store it properly.

Do you put it back in the bag when you arent wearing it?

I wear my wig daily in a pony tail with bangs. I take it off as soon I get home. I think because it is long – 24 inches it rubs against my clothing and gets matted quickly. Monday it looks good by Sunday it is looking rough….

My synthetic wigs only last 2 weeks and thats when I wear them daily.They cost me between 19.99-24.99 and get matted after 2 weeks. 4 months?!!?! WTF, I need to do what ya'll are doing, ASAP!

Ditto. I'm thinking the same thing. I do synthetic and they last 2 weeks maybe 3 if its curly. But straight ones start to get matted/nappy looking at the ends on minds and its $19/week.

Luckily I am able to budget that allowance and still come out cheaper than if I went to the shop 2x a month. So it works for me. I also rotate between 2 of the same style wigs if the budget allows for that purchase upfront.

I snatch that thing off ASAP. But I do kind of leave them laying around. :look:

im with you on that...girl mine are all laying around in my closet :(

and then i only have like 2 wig heads and have wigs on there that im not wearing or using....

yea straight synthetic hair does get matted and nappy/kinky after awhile...

but i think that it should at least last you for at least a good month or so...

i love Freetress wigs....

maybe its just that make of wig and the type of hair that they are using...

im with you on that...girl mine are all laying around in my closet :(

and then i only have like 2 wig heads and have wigs on there that im not wearing or using....

yea straight synthetic hair does get matted and nappy/kinky after awhile...

but i think that it should at least last you for at least a good month or so...

i love Freetress wigs....

maybe its just that make of wig and the type of hair that they are using...

IDK, because I rarely throw mines out. I have some around here from 3 and 4 years ago that still look good.

I wear my wig daily in a pony tail with bangs. I take it off as soon I get home. I think because it is long – 24 inches it rubs against my clothing and gets matted quickly. Monday it looks good by Sunday it is looking rough….

Have you ever thogh about getting a shorter one? 24 inches is long and you are just putting it in a ponytail.

If your real hair was 24 inches long, you would be bunning it! Shame on you!:lachen::lachen:

Ladies,

I’ve been wearing a synthetic wig for a year now, which I absolutely love the look. I started wearing the wig after I did my BC 10/2006 to go natural for at least the next 5 years of my life. The problem I am having is the cost of this look. I spend $27 a week on a new wig because after a week the wig looks “busted”. For the ladies that wear wigs how do you maintain the hair? How do you keep the wig from matting up, losing it’s shine and curl so quickly. At this rate I am spending more money on the “wig look” than when I had a chemical in my hair.

Thanks,

Mine last for about a month but this new one I have, my second one in fact should last for about two or more. I don't tear through the hair with a wig brush or anything infact, which is what I did before. I am going to buy some Silicon mix to coat the strands and let it sit in over night to decrease tangling.

What in the world are yall doing to these wigs???

I use a wig sheen spray in a blue can. It's kept my wig looking brand new. As a matter of fact the shop owner couldn't believe I wore it every day for about a month. It looked like I just took it out of the wrapper. (It's da bomb and it's even good for my lil pony aka da phony pony):yep:

I wear the synthetic half wigs and they last pretty long, I mean at least a couple of months. I usually have a few in rotation. Maybe you need a couple of them to rotate. When I get home I take it off. I wear mostly curly styles so I just finger comb those. The really straight ones were harder to maintain because they have to be brushed more often. The less brushing the better. The hh half wigs are ok to me but there is a lot of work that goes into maintaining them and they cost more. I found that they did not even last as long as my synthetic ones.

HTH

That's probably why it gets tangled so much. The longer it is, the more tangles you'll get.

Just what was on my mind...I bought a new synthetic Sat and have been trying to figure out how to get rid of that baby doll shine. I will be baby powdering that thing tonight.

My synthetics have lasted a long time, and I am trash to them. I have all of them, including my one HH on the floor in the closet.

I promised myself I will take care of this one I just bought and put it back in the bag everyday. I don't like that matted stuff, especially in the back at the nape.

Is Oil Sheen good for a synthetic wig? Won't it make it more shiny?

I had a human hair wig that only cost me like $35.00 and it lasted me a long time. I think you could find reasonably priced HH wigs. Also, if you are spending that much/week, as others said, consider investing in a good lacefront wig. It will cost you a few hundred, but it will last you a lifetime!

Back