It Works So Well But It Smells So Gawd Awful!

Ms Kain

So Thursday night I went through my basic hair regimen - prepooed, co-washed, conditioned and rollerset. As I brushed my hair to blow out my roots and do a wrap I noticed some breakage. I've been noticing it all week and because of that I decided to try a new product that I'd just bought but never got around to trying. According to the hair boards and the hairdresser at the salon, this product was pretty good when it comes to minimizing breakage and since my hair is very protein sensitive, this would be good because it was supposed to hydrate more than it was supposed to deposit protein.:yep: The directions said it would take a few uses before I would see some improvement but a journey starts with one step so I found the jar, applied a small amount on my hands and massaged it through my hair and then continued with my wrap.

The next morning I went to get the mail, talked briefly to one of my neighbors (and older lady) and jumped in to my car to go to work. Before I even took off, I found myself sniffing the air. Why did my car smell like old lady? :huh:I looked around for evidence that a geriatric had been in my car but found nothing. Then I smelled my clothes. I knew that I was just talking to an old person but I KNOW I didn't get close to her because God knows, I don't want to scare her (she's one of those old white ladies that tries but still can't connect brown skin with nonthreatening behavior) so where was the smell coming from?:scratchch

Next, I stopped at Walgreens :driver:and on the way out I once again I smelled old lady. WTH!!??? I whipped around to look but there was no one behind me. I smelled it again when I was at work and it continued to happen several times that day until I finally figured out that it wasn't a ghost of an old lady following me all day but my hair!!! My hair was giving off an old lady smell! :ohwell: Of course by this time I was at work so all I could do was avoid everybody and deal with it but I couldn't wait to get home to rinse the stuff out of my hair!

When I got home I rinsed it out and once I did, I noticed that I didn't get as much breakage as before. Hmmm.....working already? But how did I miss the smell? I smelled the jar again. It smelled fine. So it smells bad when it's on my hair? Ok so maybe I need to mix it with something else to minimize the smell? :think:So off I went into my bathroom to transform into a bathroom chemist so that I could find something to mix it with.

Luckily this was Friday night when I decided to try it again. :crossfingers:That way If it smelled bad the next day then at least it would be Saturday. Sure enough, I woke up, unwrapped my hair, went outside and once again I felt like I was being followed by one of the Golden Girls! :perplexed

So, this made me wonder, have any of you experienced a situation where you tried a product that worked really well but it smelled so gawd awful that you had to let it go? Or maybe you were able to mix it with something that made it bearable? If so, what was the product and what did you mix it with?

Also, can anyone guess what product I was using?:rolleyes:

~Hera

Last edited:
Vatika and Amla oils are the same for me, they work really well but that smell is unbearable.

Last edited:
LMAOOOOOOO now ya'll know this should be posted in a magazine or some other sites because I was rolling the whole time especially the "it wasn't an old lady ghost" after all haha. But the only product I can think of like that is Aphogee which personally I don't think stinks but it has a horrible wrap for fonkalitis but that's a protein so I'm clueless.

Last edited:
did you read the entire thing? we're meant to guess (kinda like a game, i suppose).

OP, i assume the product is popular here? *gathering clues*

Thanks and you're right! A part of it is kind of a game and the other part is me wanting to see if anyone else feels this way about the product without having to mention it. I figure that if they know which product it is without me naming the product then I'll know its not just me! :spinning:

Oh and yes, it's pretty popular here....I read a posting starting as far back as 2007 on it. No mention of the smell or what I can mix with it though.....:nono:

~ Hera

is it Vatika oil? i know a few ladies reported that as stinky.

is it a moisturizer? sealant? can you buy it in any store?

is it Vatika oil? i know a few ladies reported that as stinky.

is it a moisturizer? sealant? can you buy it in any store?

No, it's not Vatika or Amla but a product that is made to sit on your hair overnight.

Also, I rarely see it in a typical BSS but you might see it in one that carries A class products that professionals typically use. I've also seen it sold in places like Beauty Brands, Ulta (rarely), JC Penney's or Walmart salons.

Last edited:
Love the post and the idea of the guessing game OP. I've never had this experience, but maybe you could try adding few drops of rosemary oil to try and curve the smell.

This may seem out there but...
Is it Mizani Rose H20 Nighttime treatment? I've never tried it but I know it's supposed to be moisturizing and supposed to help with breakage..

My guess was Mizani rose nighttime treatment. Funny thing is it was in my pj strash and I had a minor salon setback that made run(not walk) to get this again. It smells good but something about it is a little off,but it works:yep:

Is it AO HSR??? lol that stuff smells like old lady mixed with rancid milk :nono:

I'm probably wrong, idk...

But OP I would NEVER use anything smelly in my hair regardless if it works or not:look:...NEVER

I am going to go for the oils:

1. Coconut
2. Wheatgerm
3. Moroccan/ Argan oil

These are the things that I can think of which would hydrate but might smell off when applied to the hair. Esp if mixed with other products which could make them go rancid.

i'm the same way. i can't hang if i don't like the smell of a product. i don't care how good it's working. it's like the smell is following you everywhere. :lachen::spinning::grin: and not in a good way ... now i won't usually throw it away, especially if it's working -- i'll mix in some essential oils or something, but i won't buy it again once it's used up.

i love me some aubrey organics, but ao island naturals does this to me everytime. i love that it has shea butter & coconut juice, but the smell makes me want to :barf::barf::barf:

i'm also finding if a product has a strong lavander scent i get to feeling the same way. that's why ... although i love the product's effect on my hair ... i'm having to let avalon organics' lavender nourishing conditioner & beauty without cruelty's lavender highland conditioner go. thankfully i have plenty of other good-smellin' staples to choose from.

op, i need some more clues to guess your product. i love a good mystery:grin::grin::grin:

I am going to go for the oils:

1. Coconut
2. Wheatgerm
3. Moroccan/ Argan oil

These are the things that I can think of which would hydrate but might smell off when applied to the hair. Esp if mixed with other products which could make them go rancid.

I love the smell of coconut oil I've been tempted to cook a meal with it.

Back