It Happened To Me: " A Stylist Added Relaxer To My Conditioning Treatment "

I'm sure we all know that[/I] alot of asian salons are not using OPI and have the lead filled knock off polish, right? They are also using a very cheap product to put on nails. If you go into a high end /resort/hotel you do not have that oder you smell in asian salons. That product has been banned by the FDA, yet the chairs are always filled for cheapie mani's and pedi's.
I hope this thread does not shut down the AA salons because everyone will now only go to the dominican or white salons :nono: and I really hope a dominican or white salon owner/stylist did not post that story:blush::blush::blush:

Well, this is actually well-known. This is why I don't get my nails done a "cheapie" salons. I actually rarely get my nails done at all, but I do have 2 or 3 shops I trust. I also go to the spa, where they charge enough to pay for quality products.

I like Dominican salons because they can do hair well and the "Dominican" techniques work well for my hair. I also know Af-Am stylists who do hair well. It doesn't matter the ethnicity/race/nationality of the stylist, as long as they have healthy hair care practices.

For those that are having doubts about the validity of these claims (and that's fully within your right) try to think of some of the things we KNOW are currently going on in salons just from posters on this board and gage whether they are any less deceitful or unconcerned about the final state of the consumer's hair:

We have women on these boards who have voiced that stylists they went to to apply weaves applied them constantly choosing not to tell their clients their hair was too damaged or if they had a bald spot.

We have women who went to stylist who even after requesting and reminding them they'd like to see their actual hair in the mirror were brushed off or the stylist 'forgot'

We have women who had stylists mix relaxers (two different brands), who've relaxed and dyed hair on the same day within minutes of each procedure, who've cut off inches of hair after their client requested just a small trim and even showed them how much hair specifically they wanted removed and who have expressed frustration and distaste at their clients hair (texture, length, what have you)

We have women who's stylists have ignored their instructions (I don't want any heat) or who have tried to push their own instructions on the client ("You REALLY need a relaxer").

All of these examples show a lack of concern for the health of the clients hair as well as a lack of integrity in their business practices. It is already incredibly unprofessional to express dislike of your client's hair and I (unfortunately) can easily see women who are more concerned about THEIR personal satisfaction than their clients.

Ever been rushed through the salon process because your stylist was heading to the club that night? Ever been blatantly mis-managed because your stylist knew better than your requests? Ever realized one of the girls working at the salon didn't even have credentials and was somebody's cousin?
These may not be horror stories but they are growing, troubling trends. So when it comes down to believing someone slipped a touch of relaxer into the conditioner for the sake of getting the job down in 15 minutes expecting she'd never see you again anyway...I can believe it.

Okay...seriously, think about it. It's easier for people to blame a stylist than to take personal responsibility for their hair care practices. I realize that, yes, my stylist did trim my hair often, but my ends were a dry, frizzy mess because I was always using heat at home and didn't moisturize regularly. While it's easy to say my hair stayed short because the stylist cut it, it also stayed short because I wasn't taking care of it.

I'll try to address each of your points individually:

1. Weaves - are people giving their hair a rest between weaves? taking care of their hair under the weaves in between installs? Plenty of people can see that their hair is dry/damaged/thinning but choose to be keep getting weaves. Many women are ADDICTED to weaves and will get them no matter what. These women would be offended if someone said, "You should stop getting weaves and take care of your hair." It's the same with women who are balding and getting braids. That's a problem they have personally, but it's not the stylists' fault.

2. Looking at Your Hair in the Mirror - the chairs swivel for a reason. A stylist isn't necessarily trying to hide something from you when she turns your back to the mirror.

3. Mixing relaxers - seriously? Are people seeing their stylist mix relaxers and not saying anything? That's probably not happening.

4. Ignoring instructions - this is pretty general, but the process is usually you come in the store and tell the stylist what you are going to pay for and they perform the service. If you come in and don't know what you want, then the stylist will suggest something. "You need a relaxer" is a common phrase. It generally means it's been about 8 weeks since you have had a relaxer and that is about the time many women get a touch-up. I actually have NEVER had a stylist tell me I need a relaxer, and I've been relaxed for over a decade.

5. Examples of unprofessionalism - unprofessionalism can be found in any industry, so I'm not following the point here. Generally, if you want high-end service, then you should go to a high end salon. I have had some of these things happen (stylist trying to go to the club), but it was usually a very cheap AA salon or a in-home stylist who, again, was very cheap and usually unlicensed.

Didn't something like this happen last year to a member??

Found it. Her old name was Miss Norway. But she posted about her dominican blow out and someone suggested that by how her hair looks it could be that they slipped relaxer in. She agreed that it felt relaxed. It didn't look heat damaged at all!
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=373787&highlight=dominican+blow+out

I have heard stories like this for ages ...I don't get the disbelief at all!

The disbelief is based on logic. This is people posting random stories on the internet, with nothing to back them up. It's fun to post a sensationalized story and get people all aggravated.

Why are all of y'all so quick to believe? Who is this person? Where was this salon? What were hair hair care practices? Was her hair damaged to begin with?

As for Miss Norway, she believed it was heat damage, but LHCF convinced her that it was some kind of relaxer damage...okay :rolleyes:...Dominican stylists know how to get hair straight without chemicals. They have no reason to sneak in a chemical.

I just went to a Dom salon yesterday for the first time in over a year. I'm 5 months post. Nobody suggested I get a relaxer. Nobody called my hair nappy or snuck a perm in my hair. Not aimed at you, but people are so gullible, believing ANYTHING, I swear.

Because it DOES HAPPEN.

Folks getting their hair cut by a sneaky stylist when they asked for a trim happens.
Hair stylists quick to tear through newgrowth with a rattail comb happens.
Hair stylists applying relaxer from root to TIP happens.

Why is it so far fetched to believe that some sneaky salons, when dealing with "unmanageable, kinky hair" would SLIP a relaxer in the conditioner to "run it through" to make it more manageable and feel the person would be none the wiser because they're getting their hair straightened ANYWAY just for a perfect end result?

And just a person is "Dominican" doesn't mean they "know" how to get hair straight. I have seen MANY a natural sit in a dominican's chair and end up with a mess. Did you bypass this thread?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=469502&highlight=dominican+salon

As I said before, I have heard stories like this for ages, this isn't a new bandwagon folks are jumping on. The fact that some are quick to be dismissive and not consider the potential damage that can be done is a LOT more ridiculous than folks considering the possibility and playing it safe.

Because it DOES HAPPEN.

Folks getting their hair cut by a sneaky stylist when they asked for a trim happens.

Why is it so far fetched to believe that some sneaky salons, when dealing with "unmanageable, kinky hair" would SLIP a relaxer in the conditioner to "run it through" to make it more manageable and feel the person would be none the wiser because they're getting their hair straightened ANYWAY just for a perfect end result?

And just a person is "Dominican" doesn't mean they "know" how to get hair straight. I have seen MANY a natural sit in a dominican's chair and end up with a mess. Did you bypass this thread?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=469502&highlight=dominican+salon

As I said before, I have heard stories like this for ages, this isn't a new bandwagon folks are jumping on. The fact that some are quick to be dismissive and not consider the potential damage that can be done is a LOT more ridiculous than folks considering the possibility and playing it safe.

I know for a FACT that happened because it happened to me

Well, this is actually well-known. This is why I don't get my nails done a "cheapie" salons. I actually rarely get my nails done at all, but I do have 2 or 3 shops I trust. I also go to the spa, where they charge enough to pay for quality products.

I like Dominican salons because they can do hair well and the "Dominican" techniques work well for my hair. I also know Af-Am stylists who do hair well. It doesn't matter the ethnicity/race/nationality of the stylist, as long as they have healthy hair care practices.

Okay...seriously, think about it. It's easier for people to blame a stylist than to take personal responsibility for their hair care practices. I realize that, yes, my stylist did trim my hair often, but my ends were a dry, frizzy mess because I was always using heat at home and didn't moisturize regularly. While it's easy to say my hair stayed short because the stylist cut it, it also stayed short because I wasn't taking care of it.

I'll try to address each of your points individually:

1. Weaves - are people giving their hair a rest between weaves? taking care of their hair under the weaves in between installs? Plenty of people can see that their hair is dry/damaged/thinning but choose to be keep getting weaves. Many women are ADDICTED to weaves and will get them no matter what. These women would be offended if someone said, "You should stop getting weaves and take care of your hair." It's the same with women who are balding and getting braids. That's a problem they have personally, but it's not the stylists' fault.

2. Looking at Your Hair in the Mirror - the chairs swivel for a reason. A stylist isn't necessarily trying to hide something from you when she turns your back to the mirror.

3. Mixing relaxers - seriously? Are people seeing their stylist mix relaxers and not saying anything? That's probably not happening.

4. Ignoring instructions - this is pretty general, but the process is usually you come in the store and tell the stylist what you are going to pay for and they perform the service. If you come in and don't know what you want, then the stylist will suggest something. "You need a relaxer" is a common phrase. It generally means it's been about 8 weeks since you have had a relaxer and that is about the time many women get a touch-up. I actually have NEVER had a stylist tell me I need a relaxer, and I've been relaxed for over a decade.

5. Examples of unprofessionalism - unprofessionalism can be found in any industry, so I'm not following the point here. Generally, if you want high-end service, then you should go to a high end salon. I have had some of these things happen (stylist trying to go to the club), but it was usually a very cheap AA salon or a in-home stylist who, again, was very cheap and usually unlicensed.

The disbelief is based on logic. This is people posting random stories on the internet, with nothing to back them up. It's fun to post a sensationalized story and get people all aggravated.

Why are all of y'all so quick to believe? Who is this person? Where was this salon? What were hair hair care practices? Was her hair damaged to begin with?

As for Miss Norway, she believed it was heat damage, but LHCF convinced her that it was some kind of relaxer damage...okay :rolleyes:...Dominican stylists know how to get hair straight without chemicals. They have no reason to sneak in a chemical.

I just went to a Dom salon yesterday for the first time in over a year. I'm 5 months post. Nobody suggested I get a relaxer. Nobody called my hair nappy or snuck a perm in my hair. Not aimed at you, but people are so gullible, believing ANYTHING, I swear.
You have to consider the fact that most of the women on LHCF are here not because they had these incredible experiences with hairstylists but because their hair wasn't growing and they were paying somebody to do it who was supposed to be able to help them grow it out.

Should we just believe everything that's posted on here? Hell no

But just because you never had a real bad experience with a stylists, doesn't mean that people are making stories.

Otherwise, this hair board wouldn't even exist! The only stylist i trust is my aunt and she has been doing my hair all my life with no problems. So no and i mean hell no i don't trust hair stylist because if the majority were really that honest in their profession, the majority of women who dish out tons of money to hair salons, hair would be down their backs and LHCF and all these other hair boards would be obsolete.

Last edited:

You mentioned other professions so I will go with your example. As far as I know most doctors, lawyers, and even bank tellers will tell you what you may not want to hear, why? Because it is their job to inform the consumer. By them telling the truth and informing the consumer they earn trust and more importantly respect. After a lifetime of going to a NUMBER of different AA salons I don't trust any stylist, in fact sadly I've lost a lot of respect for them. Per the weave example I went in for a simple install for my prom, the woman doing my hair actually discouraged against healthy hair practices because she said 'Oh it'll mess up your weave faster', she recommended just the basic minimum. When I went to get it removed I gave myself the break you mentioned, which is right about when I discovered my bald spot. Funny thing is...while I was at the salon she didn't mention it. She even recommended I come in soon for another install pressuring me slightly. It was only when I was home running my fingers through my hair did I see it. Suffice to say yes, it's her fault.

Except many stylists don't have you facing the mirror while they're doing your hair, only when they've finished the job.

Well considering the woman in question had a blog and pictures of the before and after to go with it, as well as recalling what happened step-by-step during her salon visit...I believe it. If I can recall the link I will post it here.

To be honest, I'm going on women's words here and there are many women who have gone to stylists who were unhappy with their new growth, likely because it would make their job harder. It hasn't been my personal experience but I won't call others liars.

Well for me both stylist were licensed, came highly recommended and we're expensive enough to be considered high-end, not to mention their sign-in book looked like it was devoted just to them (many clients preferring them). It happened twice, one with a man in the downtown district in a modern salon and another with a woman who was in the suburbs but in a full salon/spa that was beautifully elegant.

Sorry but there's a difference between gullible and experienced. Your experiences have been good and persuaded you that nothing bad or dishonest ever happens in salons. That makes you lucky. But I am realistic enough to realize based on my own experiences and a common pattern in these stories that there is a trend of bad techniques and practices. As MisLiz posted LHCF wasn't created because there were thousands of women SO happy with what had happened to them in salons. It was created because there was a lot of mis-management happening and from my own experiences not to mention the heartbreaking pictures posted (that would be documented evidence wouldn't it?) it hasn't been all candy-canes and puppies. Heat damage has a different appearance and nature than hair damaged from a chemical service. Considering many women here once they started DIY-ing figured out the signs and symptoms of what happens when they didn't neutralize their hair properly I can also believe they know exactly what happens when a natural woman's hair suddenly randomly changes after going to a salon, never recovers a curl, and starts breaking off.

Honestly I don't mind disbelief, I think total doubt however suggests gullibility more than anything else. It would be like me believing crime never happens because it doesn't occur in my neighborhood.

Because it DOES HAPPEN.

Agreed. Like I said if someone has NEVER had a bad experience then I applaud them but I've gone to many a salon and can pick many excellent and great things about them and many bad practices I saw. Furthermore this board isn't devoted to bashing salons, we have so many ladies praising certain salons, stylists, practices, and etc. and spreading the word on LHCF. Another poster even said the LHCF-approved code word which means not only is this personal professional but they are in the business of caring for YOUR hair, not just it's style but it's health.

In fact many of these ladies are going INTO cosmetology school and are working to repair the system. I applaud them and I hope at some point in my life to have the freedom to pursue the same goal because I think the bad stylist are really doing a dis-service to the good stylists. Just as bad experiences at AA salons pushed many women into Dominican Salons. Unfortunately as Dominican Salons also see a rush of business and become overwhelmed they too will start cutting corners and gyping their customers for the sake of getting the job done.

I only went to a Dominican Salon once but that one experience was enough to give me pause. I do not claim all Dominican Salons are bad but I do know I felt it was time to find a better way to care for my hair.

So no and i mean hell no i don't trust hair stylist because if the majority were really that honest in their profession, the majority of women who dish out tons of money to hair salons, hair would be down their backs and LHCF and all these other hair boards would be obsolete.

And we wouldn't be labeled as the race that can't grow hair. I'll freely admit before LHCF I never thought black women could have hair to their waists without being mixed and NEVER saw growth in my entire life like I have in the last few months. While I don't expect stylists to know everything i'm also kind of impressed lately by how many aren't really making the effort to learn anything more than what they had been trained for. Basically their education ended the second they got the cosmetology degree.

So again. Not about being gullible, bashing salons, or believing everything you hear. But after a while seeing your own hair disasters, your friend's hair disasters, experiencing the worst and best of a salon and seeing how they treat individuals never informing them about the state of their hair (not to mention how trained we are not to question our stylists because our trust is supposed to be absolute) or even making a casual statement I have learned to hedge on the side of disaster more than 'nothing bad happens'.

This story breaks my heart...

See this is the reason why I no longer go to salons, to keep from catching a charge ...

I know a guy they call Bay Bay, I mention on here a couple times, sometimes I let him do my hair, he do a great job, other then that "I'm My Own Beautician".

:nono::nono::nono:
Most salons now and days only looking to give you styles, they don't care rather or not your hair is heathy and grows.

I remember back in the day I would go to salons, I would walk in with SL hair and walk out with NL hair... They was giving me hair cuts instead of a trim.

It's really hard for me to respond to these posts, because I've been taken out of context and mis-quoted, but I'll try. Bottom line, it comes down to PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. I'd love to blame my mechanic for my broke-down car, but he didn't build it and he can't maintain it 24/7. If there's damage done to it, it's mostly likely me not taking care of it and keeping up the maintenance, versus a one-time glitch at the mechanic. But, of course, it's going to be easier for me to blame "my bad mechanic."

1. Here we go with the "kinky, unmanageable hair." It seems like every single thread I go in, naturals are being hyper-sensitive. Not all kinky hair is unmanageable,but it seems like it's a lot of you guys are the ones that are yet to shake that mindset. There are stylists who don't mind doing "kinky" hair. Thus, I don't believe that all of them would need to slip in a chemical just to do someone's hair who is natural. It's like, whenever natural hair comes up, its naturals who jump to the worst conclusions.

2. You COMPLETELY missed the part when I said IT DOES NOT MATTER THE ETHNICITY OF THE STYLIST; WHAT MATTER IS HEALTHY HAIR CARE. I've had great African-American stylist here in Houston who have helped "grow" my hair, I've had good Dominican stylists, and I've been to great white stylists at Supercuts, who gave me nice neat trims. There's probably no "hot" thread in the last two years that you can link to that I haven't read. You can look at my stats and see I've read and posted in thousands of threads since I joined. Thanks.

If you read Whitedaisez TWO threads on the issue, a lot of ladies were having a hard time believing/understanding her story. Initially, she said "these stylist may have damaged my hair," because she didn't like the results. Did she NOT know that heat was going to be used on her hair? How did she expect to get a blowout? Her hair came out like it didn't because she didn't let them flat iron it. Later, after getting pumped up by LHCF, she started another thread claiming her hair was damaged. I'm not saying she is lying (since you could see a difference in her shrinkage), but I'm saying that she KNEW heat would be used on her hair at a Dominican stylist. That's why I said, it comes down to personal responsibility. If you're going to sit there and let somebody talk to you crazy, not listen to your instructions, turn you away from the mirror, and tell you your hair is too nappy, then pay them, WTH?

You have to consider the fact that most of the women on LHCF are here not because they had these incredible experiences with hairstylists but because their hair wasn't growing and they were paying somebody to do it who was supposed to be able to help them grow it out.

Should we just believe everything that's posted on here? Hell no

But just because you never had a real bad experience with a stylists, doesn't mean that people are making stories.

Otherwise, this hair board wouldn't even exist! The only stylist i trust is my aunt and she has been doing my hair all my life with no problems. So no and i mean hell no i don't trust hair stylist because if the majority were really that honest in their profession, the majority of women who dish out tons of money to hair salons, hair would be down their backs and LHCF and all these other hair boards would be obsolete.

First off, people's hair was "growing" before they joined LHCF, but I know what you meant. "Stylists" style hair; they don't grow it. Unless you're going to a person who claims to specialize in hair growth, they are going to style your hair and that's it.

People are here on LHCF for all different reasons. I came here because I was looking for information on Dominican stylists, and then I decided to grow my hair. I didn't come here because of a bad salon experience or because of frustration/anger with my hair. I just came for information, I was inspired, and I decided to grow my hair out.

Saying the website wouldn't exist is saying a lot. I mean, there are makeup boards, fitness boards, skin care boards. So, are are all makeup artists, trainers, and estheticians terrible?

After a lifetime of going to a NUMBER of different AA salons I don't trust any stylist, in fact sadly I've lost a lot of respect for them.

Your experiences have been good and persuaded you that nothing bad or dishonest ever happens in salons. That makes you lucky. But I am realistic enough to realize based on my own experiences and a common pattern in these stories that there is a trend of bad techniques and practices.
Honestly I don't mind disbelief, I think total doubt however suggests gullibility more than anything else. It would be like me believing crime never happens because it doesn't occur in my neighborhood.

Okay, there was a lot in your post and I edited it down. Honey, if you don't want to trust salons, that's fine. I'm not making any money by you going to the salon. What I don't understand is believing whatever you read. These types of random postings without corroboration mislead and misinform people looking for hair care information. I don't believe in scare tactics. I believe in reliable information. Someone said that this woman had a blog/pictures, and that would be great to get a link. But her hair could have been damaged before she went to the salon, or the breakage could be a result of heat damage versus relaxer damage. @ the ladies saying that they've seen this with their own eyes, I have no reason not to believe that. But, second and third-hand stories? Nah, son. Whole high-grossing websites have been grown out of fairy tales.

@ the bolded, WHEN did I say nothing bad ever happens in salon? You're mis-quoting me. I said I believe that a lot of these stories are made up, not that nothing bad ever happens in the salon.

Last edited:
That's just disgusting.

I can hardly believe it honestly. There's so many questions that come to mind as well as shock and a deep sense of betrayel.

What in the world is happening in black salons that we can't even go in for simple procedures without being manipulated, used, abused and left in a state of disarray while PROFESSIONALS hold their hands out smiling and expecting a tip.

My stomach honestly feels sick. I don't think it was crazy at all for her to pitch a fit about her hair, I wouldn't think it would be crazy to pitch a fit if someone muffs up a manicure by doing something illegitimate and unlawful.

If I come to you for my hair I am putting my TRUST in you. I am expecting you for only 30 minutes to an hour to care about ME. I am expecting that somehow you'll try to do what's best for my hair for the sake of your professional integtriy as well as your own PRIDE. Apparently not.

It scares you because you can't help but wonder where they'll draw the line, what else they'll do. Will they start slipping other toxic materials into conditioners? shampoos? hairspray? for the sake of making it 'easier'

Ugh. Disgusting. I don't advocate violence but I'd love it if the so-called stylists saw repercussions for their actions which resulted in THEIR hair being removed from their heads in the most UNPLEASANT way.

I think that if more people in the black communities that these sorts of salons service better understood their rights as consumers and had more means to pursue prosecution upon violation of those rights that it would happen a lot less.

First off, people's hair was "growing" before they joined LHCF, but I know what you meant. "Stylists" style hair; they don't grow it. Unless you're going to a person who claims to specialize in hair growth, they are going to style your hair and that's it.

People are here on LHCF for all different reasons. I came here because I was looking for information on Dominican stylists, and then I decided to grow my hair. I didn't come here because of a bad salon experience or because of frustration/anger with my hair. I just came for information, I was inspired, and I decided to grow my hair out.

Saying the website wouldn't exist is saying a lot. I mean, there are makeup boards, fitness boards, skin care boards. So, are are all makeup artists, trainers, and estheticians terrible?

To address the first bolded statement, if you ask majority of the women on this board they same here because their hair wasn't growing. Did everybody have this problem? No i'm not going to say that but based on the post, talking to a lot of the women on here, and looking at tons of pics of the ladies' hair history.... yea they had some growing out issues.

2. You are looking at it from a perspective of someone who isn't in the majority. You probably didn't have issues growing your hair out, but clearly a lot of women did. I'm not saying that everybody on LHCF is here because stylists jacked their hair up cuz i know that's not true. What I am saying though is that a very big percentage of women on here have not had the type of positive experience with stylists that you have had.

^^^^^ I'm sorry, are you saying that some women's hair was not growing before they came to LHCF, as in it was not growing out of their heads? or that it was not "growing longer" as in it was not retaining length? Because all of our hair was growing, but many of us were doing something that was causing our ends to break, or we were cutting too often, etc.

and, MsLizzieA, I say "I" because I thought it was acceptable to speak about my own experience, versus generalizing. You are trying to speak for the majority, but you don't know why most women came here. Some were looking for information on products, weaves, natural hair care, transitioning, the best relaxer, etc.

ETA: I never had a conscious interest in growing my hair out. I have friends who see my hair getting longer, but they don't want long hair themselves. They don't have any growing out issues, actually and most of them have stylists they like. I have told them, "Your hair would be longer if you did it yourself, stopped getting trims, etc." They aren't interested. I don't have any problem losing weight - I just don't feel like dieting and exercising. I'm not going to blame McDonald's.

Last edited:
^^^^^ I'm sorry, are you saying that some women's hair was not growing before they came to LHCF, as in it was not growing out of their heads? or that it was not "growing longer" as in it was not retaining length? Because all of our hair was growing, but many of us were doing something that was causing our ends to break, or we were cutting too often, etc.

and, MsLizzieA, I say "I" because I thought it was acceptable to speak about my own experience, versus generalizing. You are trying to speak for the majority, but you don't know why most women came here. Some were looking for information on products, weaves, natural hair care, transitioning, the best relaxer, etc.
ETA: I never had a conscious interest in growing my hair out. I have friends who see my hair getting longer, but they don't want long hair themselves. They don't have any growing out issues, actually and most of them have stylists they like. I have told them, "Your hair would be longer if you did it yourself, stopped getting trims, etc." They aren't interested. I don't have any problem losing weight - I just don't feel like dieting and exercising. I'm not going to blame McDonald's.

:ohwell: really? You seriously thought that's what i meant? I am referring to retaining length.....

And i said based on my conversations with these women the majority of the ones that i have talked to, who's pictures i have looked at, and stories i have read, i have drawn my conclusions. I am just gonna go head and stick by what i said earlier cuz i really don't feel like retyping the same thing over and over again.

I don't think my stylist would do something so hateful but this makes me want to shampoo with neautralizing shampoo after every salon visit. Scary!
If these stylist don't want to work with course, curly, or kinky hair or they fell like its more work why don't they just charge more. Just like some salons will charge more for long hair. That way they are compensated for whatever extra work they feel they have to put in.
Putting relaxer in someone's hair without their consent is just mean and nasty. I'm assuming if there are liscensed stylists they know w/o a neutralizer they clients' hair is going to suffer. I guess they just don't care.

[BOkay, there was a lot in your post and I edited it down. Honey, if you don't want to trust salons, that's fine. I'm not making any money by you going to the salon. What I don't understand is believing whatever you read. These types of random postings without corroboration mislead and misinform people looking for hair care information. I don't believe in scare tactics. I believe in reliable information. Someone said that this woman had a blog/pictures, and that would be great to get a link. But her hair could have been damaged before she went to the salon, or the breakage could be a result of heat damage versus relaxer damage. @ the ladies saying that they've seen this with their own eyes, I have no reason not to believe that. But, second and third-hand stories? Nah, son. Whole high-grossing websites have been grown out of fairy tales.

@ the bolded, WHEN did I say nothing bad ever happens in salon? You're mis-quoting me. I said I believe that a lot of these stories are made up, not that nothing bad ever happens in the salon.

I understand where you're coming from, on the flip though I also think you're misunderstanding the purpose of this thread and why women are contributing to it. It's not about scare tactics. You used an example of other forums so I'll go with that. If you happen to go onto a medical forum which offers advice o discusses procedures you'll also see posts entitled "IT HAPPENED TO ME:" followed by an account of mis-management. That's not about scare tactics, it's about information. Including the information we may be stunned to hear, not want to hear, or never have happen to us. It's about hearing what may not be pleasing and choosing to be more informed than simply accepting that your or my personal experience is the only experience there is. To another poster you said that you had heard this 'kinky unmanageable hair' so much that you believed naturals had become hyper-sensitive. That seems a prime example of taking your personal encounters and letting that encompass millions of other black women going to thousands of different salons you've never been to. Realistically just by proportion alone that would be impossible.

Like I said I don't believe everything I read however I can look at my own experiences and go 'Do I doubt they would go a step further for profit or ease of comfort?' No, I don't. I also don't doubt the women on this board who have had their photos from their fotki's displaying their progress and the health of their hair only to go to a salon visit and come back with hair that has been damaged and is noticeably shorter or less healthy. That is my choice and I'm cool with it. Just as it is your choice not to believe. I only presented information that might make you re-consider but if you still do not feel that is convincing enough then there's certainly nothing wrong with choosing to keep your opinion. At the end of the day for myself even as a relaxed woman I'm thankful for these threads because they remind me to keep my eye open about practices at the salon and the way the staff behaves. Good enough for me.

And that's a wrap, the debate was fun but I'm moving on now :grin: Have a wonderful day/night.

Back