is there a BOX OF HAIR COLOR that says "FOR ETHIOPIAN CHICKS" cause i swear

kurlybella

that our african sisters have the bomb hair color and highlights! :yep:

i have to say though, lots of them have the same type of color :look:

i know more than not go to a salon to get color but almost every single ethiopian chic i've seen with hair color makes me want to go shave her hair off to make a lace wig with it.

any ethophian ladies on the board?

give up the color goods! :lick: don't keep all those secrets to yourselves! :wallbash:

i know! i was on the train today and i saw this ethopian sister had the most beautiful blonde/brown highlights. i swear i was drooling lol, her hair was soo lush, she had a 3c BAA.

ITA! I have several Ethiopian friends and I have no idea what they are using. I'd also like to add that their hair is damaged and that they always wear weaves/wigs, etc. Many of the ones I see with the hair highlighting that you mention use lots of kibbeh (Ghee) on their hair after coloring their hair.

Then after they put the ghee on their hair, they get under the "vaposteam" a steamer. They also don't use too much regular conditioner on their hair because they said it makes the color fade.

"I'd also like to add that their hair is damaged and that they always wear weaves/wigs, etc. "

HUH?? So ALL Ethiopians hair is damaged and they all wear wigs/weaves. I'm sorry but I disagree completely. That is a very general statement that in no way can be used to describe an entire group of people.

"I'd also like to add that their hair is damaged and that they always wear weaves/wigs, etc. "

HUH?? So ALL Ethiopians hair is damaged and they all wear wigs/weaves. I'm sorry but I disagree completely. That is a very general statement that in no way can be used to describe an entire group of people.

I think she's talking about her friends.

I think she's talking about her friends.
lol, yes she is. Seemed clear to me.

Let me go check out some threads on ghee. I never really paid attention to those threads but now I'm interested.

ITA! I have several Ethiopian friends and I have no idea what they are using. I'd also like to add that their hair is damaged and that they always wear weaves/wigs, etc. Many of the ones I see with the hair highlighting that you mention use lots of kibbeh (Ghee) on their hair after coloring their hair.

Then after they put the ghee on their hair, they get under the "vaposteam" a steamer. They also don't use too much regular conditioner on their hair because they said it makes the color fade.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree. A lot of Ethiopians I thought had nice hair are actually wearing weaves. One girl at my school had on a wig & she got so many compliments on it that she finally told people it was a hairpiece (half wig).

Of course, not all of them do. But, it's just like white women wearing hairpieces. People will assume it is their hair before they assume it's a weave & for most AA women, its the opposite.

I don't know how useful this post was, :imsorry:

You're talking about the orange-ish reddish colour? I have an Ethiopian friend with that hair colour and I love it! Her hair is 3c BA. I think the secret is not doing it at home and going to an actual salon to do it. I know she went to one, I THINK she went to an Ethiopian salon to get the colour (I know she goes to one now for protein treatments and such).. I gotta go and get the number for her stylist :grin:

I'm sorry, but I have to agree. A lot of Ethiopians I thought had nice hair are actually wearing weaves. One girl at my school had on a wig & she got so many compliments on it that she finally told people it was a hairpiece (half wig).

Of course, not all of them do. But, it's just like white women wearing hairpieces. People will assume it is their hair before they assume it's a weave & for most AA women, its the opposite.

Hm.. :ohwell: not the ones I know. The ones I know just have really big beautiful full hair. And I KNOW its not a wig or weave.

ITA with the bolded:yep: I've been noticing lately that plenty of white women wear hair pieces (and you can see the tracks) and that they too struggle with growing out their hair.

all i know is when i go to the club all the ethiopian ladies have nice hair. most of them you can tell the hair is real because if its straight it has that dry bleached look, but its so thick and long like effortless. when they have it curly its so pretty to look at.
my brother was dating two different ethiopians and they both had nice hair. one girl told me she doesnt use anything on her hair. she said on wash day she just shampoo and conditions and thats it(she has straight hair, not the big curly hair) she said sometimes she uses oil but thats rare.
the other girl hair was shorter(maybe apl) but thick and nice and i remember she uses mayo and something else on her hair, i think it was honey but not sure. her hair always looked dry (it was colored a pretty honey brown/blonde) but stayed past the shoulders and thick. her sister's hair was a different texture. it was curly but not the big pretty bushy kind. it was more silky and naturaly shinny. and the brother had the same type of hair.
i dont think they do much to their hair and thats prbably why it stays on their heads lol.

all i know is when i go to the club all the ethiopian ladies have nice hair. most of them you can tell the hair is real because if its straight it has that dry bleached look, but its so thick and long like effortless. when they have it curly its so pretty to look at.
my brother was dating two different ethiopians and they both had nice hair. one girl told me she doesnt use anything on her hair. she said on wash day she just shampoo and conditions and thats it(she has straight hair, not the big curly hair) she said sometimes she uses oil but thats rare.
the other girl hair was shorter(maybe apl) but thick and nice and i remember she uses mayo and something else on her hair, i think it was honey but not sure. her hair always looked dry (it was colored a pretty honey brown/blonde) but stayed past the shoulders and thick. her sister's hair was a different texture. it was curly but not the big pretty bushy kind. it was more silky and naturaly shinny. and the brother had the same type of hair.
i dont think they do much to their hair and thats prbably why it stays on their heads lol.

:scratchch Was this at the same time lol?

:scratchch Was this at the same time lol?
:giggle: I noticed that too. But the ethiopian ladies i know at school all have nice beautiful thick hair. Gorgeous colors. I've seen some short haired ones as well that look just as nice. I've always wanted to ask them what they do to it but never have.

Depends on the person. Some people use henna on their hair. In fact, lots of women use henna in Ethiopia and Eritrea. Well, all over Africa, for that matter. Some people use honey blond color. Some people's natural hair color is that honey color and it's rather common in Eritrea...not all, but it's more common than not.

About using butter, I've known men to use that in EThiopia for balding. BTW, it's not the spicey kibbeh lolol...that's for cooking. Sometimes people refer to "butter" but they mean shea or some other nutseed butter. Cow butter is traditionally used but it STANKS in the hair so beware!!!

Yes, some people have started using relaxers and damaging their hair, esp. over here. Most Ethiopians do not use weaves or wigs. People have all the hair textures, from 1-4. I'd say the common texture is 2c-3a or wavy hair. My kids are 1/2 habesha.

Depends on the person. Some people use henna on their hair. In fact, lots of women use henna in Ethiopia and Eritrea. Well, all over Africa, for that matter.
This is very true. When I told my Ethiopian friends that I use henna on my hair, they got very excited because it's something you can't find in regular BSS. I told them that the Indians sell it and they've been going their for their coloring needs ever since. My friend's mom gave me money just to be her henna pusher.

I should have taught her how to use it because she mixed and applied it incorrectly.

Back