Is Luster Pink Lotion really that bad to you ladies?

Blue_Berry

I been hearing nothing, but negative reviews about Luster Pink Lotion. I like this product. This is one of the products that put my new grow in a silk ponytail. I don't use this as a moisturizer, but only on my side to brush and silk my hair edges. Some other products I tried haven't done that. They make my hair look real frizzy and dull. Am I the only one that really likes this product?

Last edited:
When i first started using it in my teens i didn't really know why i was using it i just used to put it on. I heard bad things about it when i arrived on this bored but back then i had stopped using it. I think i only bought it a couple of times then i tried the light one then i tried something new.
After i knew why it was bad i realised why. But one time i stayed at my friend's house and in the morning my hair felt dry and the only moisturiser in the house was luster's pink lotion. I put it on and my hair felt disgusting. I had to wash my hair later on that day.
If it works for you and you like what it's doing in the short and long term, then carry on using it.

I didn't think it was horrible, but it didn't do anything for my hair. If it works for you, then KIM.

I was never able to use it even when I relaxed as a kid....My sister did...back in the day I dont think she does now..

As a natural I used it for the same reason as you, it was thick enough to lay down my hair. It kept back the frizzies too. Why did I stop, I have not idea, would I use it now, not sure, no reason to, I am satisfied with what I currently use. I did/do like it though.

You can read a bad review on a product, but that is what that person found. If you like it and it works for you, that's fine.

As a natural I used it for the same reason as you, it was thick enough to lay down my hair. It kept back the frizzies too. Why did I stop, I have not idea, would I use it now, not sure, no reason to, I am satisfied with what I currently use. I did/do like it though.

You can read a bad review on a product, but that is what that person found. If you like it and it works for you, that's fine.

Mariofmagdal , What do you use in your hair now?

back in the day it was the truth--but i didnt know any better...

i understand they have tried to change their brand image--not sure what the results r from using their products

does anyone use it now?

The main reason alot of women on this board don't use pink oil is due to the ingredients: Mineral Oil, Lanolin, and Petrolatum are the main moisture blocking ingredients. If you want to use it for sealing then I guess it's okay, but I rather keep it far away from my hair at all cost.

Man I thought that Pink bottle was the cure all! *shame* I used it religiously and sad thing is I used so much sometimes my hair looked slightly pink and I would leave the greasy spots on windows, chairs, jackets, hands etc....so glad I don't use it. I just thought it was supposed to be the staple for black people. I know better now. There are better things to buy for your hair or do to it. It didn't destroy my hair because I was doing enough bad things to it and couldn't pinpoint one particular thing that killed it. Lol! I can say that life is okay without it too. :) My hair still grows and it's not all greasy. If it works for you then use it. Perfect28 is right, they might have changed up their formula...and also you can't always go by everyone's experience. It's just good to get a second opinion as often as you try new things or are curious about the meaning of the things you do now.

This was never something in our household when I was younger, but I tried it at friend's homes over the years. It really coated my hair and didnt leave it feeling good.
It was so popular among my friends growing up (along with lets JAM) but LHCF seems to really hate it due to the ingredients.

I used to use this all the time on my daughters head when she was a little girl. I always wondered why it seemed like her hair was extremely thirstly. It just seemed as if her hair absorbed this stuff instantly. Little did I know it wasn't really moisterizing her hair. Sadly I just kept right along adding it in. Eventually I started venturing out and trying new stuff that worked better. Haven't used the Pink stuff in about 10 years.

I think it's awful. How a product can make your hair greasy yet dry at the same time is a mystery to me.

I'm sticking with my Shescentit products.:yep:

This stuff is pink death to my hair:nono:

For those that it does work for, use it if it works. For me its a no no.

-A

I don't use it because the few times I tried Pink Lotion it just sat on my hair, made my hair greasy, and my hair was not moisturized. Pink Lotion was useless to me.

BUT, if it works for you and you like the results, then, go for it.

when i was really young all the kids i went to school with used this. i used it a lot but back then my mom kept my hair in braids so whether this stuff worked or not didnt matter, my hair was long and very thick and this along with blue magic and dax was really all we used.
a couple years ago, before i found this bored i walked in the bss and ourchased this and my hair was a greasy, yucky, filmy mess after using just a drop of this. it also made my relaxed hair seem to revert and curl a little bit, i guess because it was so wet.

If it works for you, use it! I saw a lady on Youtube using straight up vaseline on her hair. I would never do that, but her hair seemed long and healthy, so if it worked for her, fine. Me personally, I have fine thin hair, and I don't like heavy mineral oil products coz of the build up. I did use Pink oil though when I was younger.

I used to use it as the ads in the magazines promised me lovely moisturised hair :lol: but I found it a bit too greasy for my liking. When I found my beloved hairdresser (before she retired *sigh*), she put me straight and told me not to use that again. It didn't really do my hair any favours.

I been hearing nothing, but negative reviews about Luster Pink Lotion. I like this product. This is one of the products that put my new grow in a silk ponytail. I don't use this as a moisturizer, but only on my side to brush and silk my hair edges. Some other products I tried haven't done that. They make my hair look real frizzy and dull. Am I the only one that really likes this product?

I'm in with the other ladies who said that if it works 4 u then keep using it. I wasn't an ingredient reader when I was a kid, but I do know when I tried this stuff at other people's houses, my hair was dry and rough underneath an oily coating. Now that I am a grown up, and an LHCF member, I know why I got those results. If you find that over time it causes problems, then maybe you will want to find an alternative to that product.

This is kind of an aside: Someone else's review/advice/technique shouldn't necessarily make or break your techniques or products. For example, some people say detangle natural hair damp or wet with conditioner. I can't do that. I have to detangle with oil. I tried it the suggested way, it didn't work for me. So I do what works for me.

If it works for you, use it! I saw a lady on Youtube using straight up vaseline on her hair. I would never do that, but her hair seemed long and healthy, so if it worked for her, fine. Me personally, I have fine thin hair, and I don't like heavy mineral oil products coz of the build up. I did use Pink oil though when I was younger.

That girl had thigh length hair :yep: (if we are talking about the same person)

If it works for you, use it!

I think it's awful. How a product can make your hair greasy yet dry at the same time is a mystery to me.

I'm sticking with my Shescentit products.:yep:

Isn't that weird, I agree, I guess to some the immediated gratification is fine, but the long term effects of coating and not moisturizing will ultimately cause destruction.

It was terrible for me, even when I was young. It seemed to be breaking off my hair and contributing to dryness so I quit using it before I knew anything about bad ingredients

I wasn't real crazy about it when it was the rave for our hair. Too oily and I did not care for the smell.

boy i used to love me some pink oil back in the day lol i even kinda miss the smell (they changed the smell a few yrs back:( )

but for me, pink oil was a cover up. it gave me the appearance of healthy shinny hair. but my hair was actually quite dry and brittle.

Back