Is HENNA really worth it?

Is Henna Really Worth It?

• Yes, I am natural and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 117 15.5%
  • No, I am natural and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 16 2.1%
  • Yes, I am relaxed and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 131 17.4%
  • No, I am relaxed and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 24 3.2%
  • I dont know. I have never used henna.

Votes: 465 61.8%

• Total voters
Yes Columbia is nice. If we ever go down there, I should let you know. We are always travelling back and forth. Well at least my hubby is. We have some friends right in Columbia still. Last time I was through there was July, the beginning.
We used to live right off of Rt 216

InNeedofHairapy said:
The "Henna" that is clear that is sold at Sally's beauty supply to enhance the shine of your hair..that's not a chemical is it? I want to use it because it is already prepared and easy, but if it's a chemical, I'll just put in work...

Do you mean Hennalucent? I use that. I mix it with cassia and a tiny bit of henna and some plain yogurt. I use it because it has protein. That is my protein treament for the week and I just use no-protein moisturizing conditioners.

I have been doing this weekly for about a month and my hair is doing quite well. it is staying moisturized and strong.

One thing I noticed is that I am able to get past the 4 week post mark w/o feeling like I cannot handle my hair. Normally I get to 4 weeks and it gets harder for me to handle my hair and style it the way I want. I am just trucking along and I am able to handle my newgrowth. :D

I really want to try henna, however my hair was dyed in october and I was wondering if this will an effect my hair in any way? :eek:

No henna won't affect your cehmically dyed hair as long as you use body art quality henna, a pure henna powder that contains no metallic salts that would interfere with your hair.

Last edited:
Henna Sooq said:
No henna won't affect your cehmically dyed hair as long as you use body art quality henna, a pure henna body that contains no metallic salts that would interfere with your hair.

Thanks Henna Sooq, can you recommend any brands or whatever?

Sure ! A lot of the girls here go to their local Indian store, you can finD IT CHEAP THERE. I am not sure of the quality of other companies, but if you find Jamila henna then that is your best bet, and also Dulhan henna is trustworthy. It has to be pure henna nothing that says black or neutral as those are other plants that are not henna. Usually the black henna is indigo, and neutral is senna (cassia obovata). You have to be careful as those are probably blended mixes.

Other then that check out the internet for body art quality Jamila, Moroccan, Indian from Rajasthani region, and Yemeni. Those are the most popular body art hennas.

HoneyDew said:
Do you mean Hennalucent? I use that. I mix it with cassia and a tiny bit of henna and some plain yogurt. I use it because it has protein. That is my protein treament for the week and I just use no-protein moisturizing conditioners.

I have been doing this weekly for about a month and my hair is doing quite well. it is staying moisturized and strong.

One thing I noticed is that I am able to get past the 4 week post mark w/o feeling like I cannot handle my hair. Normally I get to 4 weeks and it gets harder for me to handle my hair and style it the way I want. I am just trucking along and I am able to handle my newgrowth. :D

I made a big mistake by using a lot of henna back t o back. My hair is bona fide HARD. I'm DC'ing everyday until I get my softness back. :( I luv the color.... but if I use it again it will be with a TINY bit of henna. maybe a henna gloss someone posted.

Henna Sooq said:
Sure ! A lot of the girls here go to their local Indian store, you can finD IT CHEAP THERE. I am not sure of the quality of other companies, but if you find Jamila henna then that is your best bet, and also Dulhan henna is trustworthy. It has to be pure henna nothing that says black or neutral as those are other plants that are not henna. Usually the black henna is indigo, and neutral is senna (cassia obovata). You have to be careful as those are probably blended mixes.

Other then that check out the internet for body art quality Jamila, Moroccan, Indian from Rajasthani region, and Yemeni. Those are the most popular body art hennas.

Thanks alot, I'm going to check out the indian stores tomorrow :)

I use the Rajasthani region henna and I love it. Gives that slightly burgundy color. The packs I buy from a local store sell for $2.99 for 200gms.

Hey Fran,

What did you use in the mixes? And when you say back to back do you mean two days in a row or weekly?

Try adding some castor oil and honey to the mix.

Speaking of weekly applications. I am soooooo spoiled by it, I just love the self pampering and the strong healthy hair to boot. I know I have said it before, but when I rinse most of the henna out, I apply a Shikakai paste to get adding benefits. I get even LESSER fall of hair strands.

Shikakai aids in stronger roots and good hair growth. Love it!

Ok I am done rubbing it in.

Henna Sooq said:

Which kind of henna gives the quickest dye release? Is it my imagination or does Jamila take a loooong time? I was using some Indian henna before that gave much quicker dye release. I think I'm going back to it.

It is not your imagination about Jamila henna, it has the LONGEST dye release time. That is why I don't usually make it my top recommendation for use on hair because most people, including myself, like to do henna on the spur of the moment and just mix and use. SO I usually recommend Moroccan (which has the fastest dye release of all hennas), and Indian henna. I have been testing the new crop of Oct/Nov 2006, and I found the color of the indian henna to be even brighter then the moroccan and even my hubby complimented me on that. But sometimes that happens when the crop is very fresh.
Indian has a very good dye release as well, not too long and I decided to mix and let mine sit for only 1 hour and apply. I usually leave it overnight as that is really the only time I have available to do henna. Wash it out and it was nice.

This was a henna herbal blend from our supplier to test out. It was nice.

Shikakai is one of the more popular hair conditioners and for growth along with cassia and amla.

For the dry hair I would recommend that you either do a henna gloss in between, or use amla oil right after an application. Because it can get too hard and dry for some people, everyone has a different scalp and texture of hair.

Or try the ghassoul as well in between applications, many customers with dry hair tend to prefer that. It is very softening and it comes from Morocco. Morocco is in Africa as well, so it does work very well. Moroccan friends of mine who have drier hair tell me that.
For ghassoul (also known as rhassoul) is also a great facial cleanser (mud masks).

I broke down and ordered some cassia (plus a sample of henna and amla) from Mehandi.com. I'm really excited to get it and try it out! My hair could use some strengthening.

Question about cassia:
Do any of you mix it with something other than water (like conditioner, yogurt, etc.)?

Henna Sooq said:
It is not your imagination about Jamila henna, it has the LONGEST dye release time. That is why I don't usually make it my top recommendation for use on hair because most people, including myself, like to do henna on the spur of the moment and just mix and use. SO I usually recommend Moroccan (which has the fastest dye release of all hennas), and Indian henna. I have been testing the new crop of Oct/Nov 2006, and I found the color of the indian henna to be even brighter then the moroccan and even my hubby complimented me on that. But sometimes that happens when the crop is very fresh.
Indian has a very good dye release as well, not too long and I decided to mix and let mine sit for only 1 hour and apply. I usually leave it overnight as that is really the only time I have available to do henna. Wash it out and it was nice.

Shikakai is one of the more popular hair conditioners and for growth along with cassia and amla.

For the dry hair I would recommend that you either do a henna gloss in between, or use amla oil right after an application. Because it can get too hard and dry for some people, everyone has a different scalp and texture of hair.

Or try the ghassoul as well in between applications, many customers with dry hair tend to prefer that. It is very softening and it comes from Morocco. Morocco is in Africa as well, so it does work very well. Moroccan friends of mine who have drier hair tell me that.
For ghassoul (also known as rhassoul) is also a great facial cleanser (mud masks).

I look forward to trying Shikakai and amla. I was going to wait until I finish the stuff I bought from you, but I don't think I can. :)

Hehehe ! I was thinking about adding Shikakai to the line, too.
One thing at a time as we grow.
At least wait until December because there is a fresh order coming from India about next week. We are just waiting for the final packaging to be done. What will be fresh in? The Indian henna crop for Oct/Nov. 2006, amla powder, indigo and cassia.

Also a sneak peek into December is that we are having a huge 10% off everything sale for the entire month ! If you and anyone else needs samples please don't be shy to ask. We consider it a gift to you.

Have you ever used Shikakai?

I was just thinking, has anyone ever considered writting a book about natural hair care?
How about magazines are there any out there that cater to natural hair care?

I still haven't taken action on getting any henna but I'm so thrilled just reading this thread!:lol:

Henna Sooq,

I LOVE shikakai. I can't say enuff about it. I use the brand by Hesh. Hesh seems to be a very popular company.

tsiporah said:
I use the Rajasthani region henna and I love it. Gives that slightly burgundy color. The packs I buy from a local store sell for $2.99 for 200gms.
I just used a henna from that region also, I got it from www.hennalounge.com it made my gray hairs exactly a color 33, which is like a deep aurburn. so it looks like a 1B / 33 color combo on my black and gray hair !! I love it, I wish I had more gray hair now :look: I have one tiny gray streak (now burgandy / aurburn) in the front and it's beautiful!! They say the color gets deeper with each application. Now I need go grow me some more grays, free highlights :lol:

Henna Sooq said:
I was just thinking, has anyone ever considered writting a book about natural hair care?
How about magazines are there any out there that cater to natural hair care?
This would be a definate and immediate hit! I know more women would go natural if they just knew how to care for their hair and their options. Since I've joined this site, in just two months, I am thinking about transitioning. I can't believe I'm saying that but I can see a way to manage my hair that I didn't know about before.

Fran said:
I made a big mistake by using a lot of henna back t o back. My hair is bona fide HARD. I'm DC'ing everyday until I get my softness back. :( I luv the color.... but if I use it again it will be with a TINY bit of henna. maybe a henna gloss someone posted.
If you mix your henna in yogurt, you don't need much at all. You can stretch the heck out of 100gms and you still get the color and conditioning...I've found that out by experimenting... straight henna is too much for my hair, makes it very dry and brittle. My last henna treatment was fabulous! I and I used a lot less henna:eek:, hence $$$ savings

tsiporah said:
Speaking of weekly applications. I am soooooo spoiled by it, I just love the self pampering and the strong healthy hair to boot. I know I have said it before, but when I rinse most of the henna out, I apply a Shikakai paste to get adding benefits. I get even LESSER fall of hair strands.

Shikakai aids in stronger roots and good hair growth. Love it!

Ok I am done rubbing it in.

oooh do tell! never heard of the Shikakai paste ....spill the beans missy! :lol:

Cichelle said:
Which kind of henna gives the quickest dye release? Is it my imagination or does Jamila take a loooong time? I was using some Indian henna before that gave much quicker dye release. I think I'm going back to it.
I read somewhere on one of the henna sites that Jamila has the slowest dye release. The last henna I tried released its color in about 4 - 5 hours, the mixture turned from green to brown which shows that the dye has released.

Henna Sooq said:

I think we have the beginings of our natural hair care book going right here :) this is all great information! Thank you!!

Atlanta, I am glad you got to try out the henna from Rajasthan. It is the best henna around and didn't you notice how fine the powder was? No fibers and stuff to wash out, that could get stuck in your hair. I am sure your color is amazing !! The henna you got had good dye release too, it's true.
Atlanta also did you notice if the yoghurt toned down the color of the henna at all, like how amla does?
They still won't let this be a sticky thread? Like a henna thread or natural hair care thread? Because you should or someone in charge should make a post at the top of this thread where people can click on certain links to posts, that contain certain needed information. Like let's say how to mix henna for hair, how to add yoghurt, how to get brown to black tones, how to cover grey, how to use amla or what is amla powder etc....

In the forum there is so much information. I agree that we have so much here. On my instructions I started putting a link to this site, so that more people can come here and get help. I like it when there are forums out there, that really cater to people and their needs, along with a welcoming warmth.
If people did know how to do this more they probably would try it out. We are so brainwashed to do all these other things to our hair, we really need to think about what women have been using for centuries before all of this (before us), and take from the good earth God gave us. I know I wouldn't want it any other way.

Henna Sooq said:

Thank you, because I was wondering what was going on. Yes, I like to mix up my henna and get it applied as soon as possible. I don't mind waiting some...but come on. That Jamila is too much. I am going back to the Indian henna and I will try Moroccan after that. I'll check out your site when I'm ready to try it. Thanks for answering!

My co-worker is from Rajhastan and he gave me some henna. I looooovvvveee it. It's so fine, not gritty at all. The color did release a quicker than the Jamila I'd used.

Another great brand is Reshma, export quality.

Back