Is HENNA really worth it?

Is Henna Really Worth It?

• Yes, I am natural and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 117 15.5%
  • No, I am natural and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 16 2.1%
  • Yes, I am relaxed and have seen many benefits for my hair.

Votes: 131 17.4%
  • No, I am relaxed and it was too much work for minimal benefits.

Votes: 24 3.2%
  • I dont know. I have never used henna.

Votes: 465 61.8%

• Total voters
keluric said:
I just ordered directly from one of Henna For Hair's suppliers. $39.60 (including shipping) for 1000 grams of henna and 1000 grams of indigo.
:eek: wow! I got jipped! I just bought some henna from hennaforhair and I paid $32 for only 200g henna/100g indigo. Exactly where did you go to get such a great deal?

LaShanne said:
:eek: wow! I got jipped! I just bought some henna from hennaforhair and I paid $32 for only 200g henna/100g indigo. Exactly where did you go to get such a great deal?

I ordered directly from India. If you go on the Henna for Hair site and click their "suppliers" link, there's only one in India. The more henna you buy with them, the less it costs. I got two 500g pacs of henna and two 500g pacs of indigo.. the henna was like $2.60 and the indigo was like $3.40. Shipping was the expensive part since it's from India but the price including shipping beat any other site I saw for 1000g.

keluric said:
I just ordered directly from one of Henna For Hair's suppliers. $39.60 (including shipping) for 1000 grams of henna and 1000 grams of indigo.

You got a great deal:eek: It's less than $10.00 per pound! Indigo alone goes for $55 to $60 per 1000 grams everywhere else.
Have you used any yet? Did you get good results?
Indigo is the one thing I can't get locally. Right now I pay $7.50 for 1000 grams of Dulhan henna.
Please keep us posted.

It would be really nice if we could do a big group order of some kind....I'm even tempted to place a big order and then just sell it to those who are interested. I'm going to check out my local options first, I haven't exhausted those yet....

Great info on the orders directly from India! I have a co-worker who is on vacation there now, I should have hit him up before he left, dag nabbit!

I see so many of you getting really interested in henna. It's great ! Going as natural as we can is amazing. I have been dealing with henna for so many years now.

I just saw a couple of questions and wanted to chime in.
For storing henna:
Powder: in the freezer is best for up to six months
Paste: Best kept in your freezer for up to six months.
I usually keep mine in a bottle and it is great to apply the paste onto my hair as well and throw it right into the freezer until I am ready to use again.
For indigo:
Powder: must be kept in cool dark place
paste: cannot be kept, throw out
For cassia:
Powder: cool dark place
Paste: in freezer up to six months
Amla:
Powder: cool dark place
Paste: in freezer up to six months

If you are pregnant and want to use henna, don't worry GO AHEAD ! It is safe 100% natural. I have five kids myself (yes five !!) and my baby is only 3 months and I am an avid henna user for both my hair and body and my midwives said it was okay. I just made sure only to use lavender essential oils in my paste, so beware of which oils you use and consult your midwife or doctor.

I could use some feedback once in awhile as I am trying to get a natural hair care section going where I can directly hear from everyone, so when some of you have some time please go to www.HennaBlogSpot.com
Latest question I was asking was about amla oil for hair and if anyone would like to see that added to the product line.

Also we are working on the shipping rates on the system, and trying to get the prices lowered as best as we can.

Quote From - - abidco [[email protected]]

I am posting this right quick, I haven't had a chance to run the numbers. I sent an email to the Jamila producer in India?? This is the quote they sent me, I'm not sure if it's good or bad yet. I'm at work and multi-tasking. Please post what you think, and I'll take a closer look when I get out of my meeting. (seems high at first glance...) This is their freshest crop, I read that older crops are fine for hair, people who do body art like the freshest crop possible. I think older crops cost less. They also have a henna for hair type that is a considerable amount less. I'm not sure what the difference in quality or color / conditioning results are.

Thanks!!

We do not deal in Indigo Powder.

The photograph of the shiny Jamila box you sent is body art quality Jamila.

1kg will be too expensive to ship with courier. Please follow the stated below prices, including shipping charges and delivery at doorsteps within 6 working days of order confirmation. If your order is above 100kg, other modes of shipments can also be discussed.

2400g Henna Jamila____USD 90
5Kg Henna Jamila______USD 135
10Kg Henna Jamila_____USD 210
20Kg Henna Jamila_____USD 400

You may remit the payment through Western Union. Awaiting your further instructions, dear madam.

Sincerely,

NewYorkGyrl, let us know how that salon is out in Albany. I am really curious about it.

As for when you order from overseas, keep in mind a few things what local suppliers have done for all of you that you don't have to go through, we make it easier for you and we deal with some of the hassle.
Making large orders from overseas might be taxed upon coming in within your country either USA or Canada (depends on the value). If the shipping company is a courier company like UPS, Fed Ex, DHL etc they are going to charge you a brokerage fee when they bring it to your door, sometimes that is even higher then the taxes.
With suppliers you are not sure which ones are really good. Just because someone lists a supplier or company doesn't necesarily mean that they themselves use them. Sometimes you get different grades of powders regarding their sift and who wants to wash out a bunch of sticks and all.

Lastly CUSTOMS ! Yeah our good old friend who opens up boxes with a box cutter. Can you imagine a box cutter going through your powder shipment. hhhmm not fun when it spills out. I agree that they need to check this shipments out but I hope they would be more careful.

Jamila I can definetely say is a very good company to order from, but they ship with Fed Ex so there will be a courier charge on that shipment along with taxes unless you have an import/export ID.

Lastly, should any of you ever want to make a group order, it would be my pleasure to work out a deal with all of you. I am always open as I myself love to shop around and get the best deal. I have been looking towards other suppliers as well, so that I could lower some of my prices. Don't worry we will get there ! One step at a time.

Let me know if anyone needs a group order. Even there is like at least 10 of you who want 1 kilogram each we can make it much lower for all of you. The more kilos the cheaper the price.

Khadija
www.HennaSooq.com

L_Mo said:
Darkangel, what made you order from Henna Sooq? I was thinking of ordering from this website since it's Canadian and I'm in Canada. Do you order some of the other stuff... indigo, amla etc. as well? How long does it take to get it?
TIA!

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I didn't visit this thread for a while. I decided to order from henna sooq because from what I heard from other ladies on this board, they ship items quickly and I couldn't wait to try it on my hair. Anyway, they were right. My order arrived pretty fast, I believe within a week, even though they are in Canada and I'm in Florida. I ordered Jamila, Amla powder, Indigo and CA from there.

Henna Sooq said:
NewYorkGyrl, let us know how that salon is out in Albany. I am really curious about it.

As for when you order from overseas, keep in mind a few things what local suppliers have done for all of you that you don't have to go through, we make it easier for you and we deal with some of the hassle.
Making large orders from overseas might be taxed upon coming in within your country either USA or Canada (depends on the value). If the shipping company is a courier company like UPS, Fed Ex, DHL etc they are going to charge you a brokerage fee when they bring it to your door, sometimes that is even higher then the taxes.
With suppliers you are not sure which ones are really good. Just because someone lists a supplier or company doesn't necesarily mean that they themselves use them. Sometimes you get different grades of powders regarding their sift and who wants to wash out a bunch of sticks and all.

Lastly CUSTOMS ! Yeah our good old friend who opens up boxes with a box cutter. Can you imagine a box cutter going through your powder shipment. hhhmm not fun when it spills out. I agree that they need to check this shipments out but I hope they would be more careful.

Jamila I can definetely say is a very good company to order from, but they ship with Fed Ex so there will be a courier charge on that shipment along with taxes unless you have an import/export ID.

Lastly, should any of you ever want to make a group order, it would be my pleasure to work out a deal with all of you. I am always open as I myself love to shop around and get the best deal. I have been looking towards other suppliers as well, so that I could lower some of my prices. Don't worry we will get there ! One step at a time.

Let me know if anyone needs a group order. Even there is like at least 10 of you who want 1 kilogram each we can make it much lower for all of you. The more kilos the cheaper the price.

Khadija
www.HennaSooq.com

Thanks for the heads up on that, I would hate to get a group of people together to place and order to have them disappointed by any of these circumstances occuring. I've already put up a red flag message to our "Henna Co-op" group based on an email I received from Jamila when I asked about potential extra fees.

You make many excellent points here.

Thanks for letting us know the possiblities.

JJ

IS HENNA REALLY WORTH ALL THE HASSLE??:confused:

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it?
Jamila and Indigo / Hennaforhair.com

How often do you do your treatments?
This is my second treatment in 4 weeks, so I guess I'll be doing it about once a month.

What if anything do you add to your henna?
This is my recipe: 50g Henna, 1T Orange Juice (terp), 1 cup cold water; after the dye releases I add 3T olive oil, 3 T honey, 24 drops rosemary oil. In a seperate bowl I mix 100g Indigo and warm water to make yogurt-like paste; wait about 10 min, then add to my henna mixture and apply to my hair.

What benefits have you seen in your hair?

My strands are super strong and shiny :) You will feel/see the difference immediately.

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments?
A month, but I'm hooked!

What is your hair type?
4a relaxed

Do you have any additional henna info that you think is helpful?
I was a little skeptical after my first henna treatment. I used a box of Reshma henna from the local indian store that was sitting on the shelf for who knows how long. I also used some old Amla powder. That, in combination with the black tea made my hair very dry. I had some breakage and had to do alot of moisture treatments to regain my balance. My new recipe with FRESH ingredients is like night and day! I no longer use black tea or amla powder and my hair is SO soft I just cant stop touching it:D My color is brilliant and I think it's getting darker as the indigo oxidizes (I just henna'd yesterday). To me it's worth the time it takes to have shiny/strong healthy hair. JUST DO IT!:p

LaShanne said:
IS HENNA REALLY WORTH ALL THE HASSLE??:confused:

What brand of Henna do you use? Where do you get it?
Jamila and Indigo / Hennaforhair.com

How often do you do your treatments?
This is my second treatment in 4 weeks, so I guess I'll be doing it about once a month.

What if anything do you add to your henna?
This is my recipe: 50g Henna, 1T Orange Juice (terp), 1 cup cold water; after the dye releases I add 3T olive oil, 3 T honey, 24 drops rosemary oil. In a seperate bowl I mix 100g Indigo and warm water to make yogurt-like paste; wait about 10 min, then add to my henna mixture and apply to my hair.

What benefits have you seen in your hair?

My strands are super strong and shiny :) You will feel/see the difference immediately.

How long have you been doing Henna Treatments?
A month, but I'm hooked!

What is your hair type?
4a relaxed

Do you have any additional henna info that you think is helpful?
I was a little skeptical after my first henna treatment. I used a box of Reshma henna from the local indian store that was sitting on the shelf for who knows how long. I also used some old Amla powder. That, in combination with the black tea made my hair very dry. I had some breakage and had to do alot of moisture treatments to regain my balance. My new recipe with FRESH ingredients is like night and day! I no longer use black tea or amla powder and my hair is SO soft I just cant stop touching it:D My color is brilliant and I think it's getting darker as the indigo oxidizes (I just henna'd yesterday). To me it's worth the time it takes to have shiny/strong healthy hair. JUST DO IT!:p

Do you use henna and indigo together? Does indigo do the same thing as henna as far as shine and making the hair stronger? I really don't want red hair. I am very interested but I don't want to dry out my hair or get a reddish color.

smitmarv said:
Do you use henna and indigo together? Does indigo do the same thing as henna as far as shine and making the hair stronger? I really don't want red hair. I am very interested but I don't want to dry out my hair or get a reddish color.
You would mix the henna and indigo together if you want a dark brown color depending on your natural hair color and how much indigo you use. If you do henna first, THEN do indigo afterwards your hair is supposed to turn black. You have to check with Sareca to see if straight indigo makes your hair shiny/strong too, although you need sunglasses to look at her hair:lol: I wouldnt recommend amla powder to go dark. It totally dried my hair out. Just get the indigo. Also, henna WILL make your hair red, but the more indigo you use the browner your hair will turn w/reddish undertones. Good Luck!

No problem Atlanta. I don't want to make it sound discouraging for many of you, but just want to let you know what suppliers do to get quality product in from other countries. Jamila is a great company to work with but all of the other countries sometimes you run the risk of working with someone you never met and they could easily just take your money and run. So we have to build up these relationships.

Anytime you start using henna regardless of the color you want to achieve (from reds to browns to blacks) you have to start off using henna first because indigo alone won't cling to the hair strand good enough. It needs help from henna. So do a henna application first, don't be worried about it, especially if you are using good quality henna (but please if you aren't sure do the hair strand tests first). Then if you like red keep on with red (I suggest some amla added in for volume/wave/curl, but this will also tone down the red color a bit). With dark hair it will give it just a nice highlight, like burgundy/mahogany.
If you want brown when you are doing your henna mixture throw in a bit of indigo (the more the darker, the less more chestnut brown tones). You just have to get a good proportion that you are happy with. This is called a one step process.

If you want black, then do the henna and then after that is finished, then do an indigo and that will give you darkest results. This is called a 2-step process.

Lastly, another nice thing you can do with henna, is a Henna Gloss!! If you just want a bit of color, a little ya know yumph, put some henna into a bottle of conditioner and mix it very well, and just put that on your hair and wrap well and get a deep conditioning treatment. You can do this with your conditioning creams as well because they all need to be washed out. Your hair will be SOFT ! It strenghtens it. It's amazing! All that protection from a natural product like henna is something else.
God gave us this plant, and think about how many of our African sisters are using this. Henna grows in the hottest countries and is used for centuries by these women. I think it is really a blessing (ie henna).

Khadija

I love your picture of the girl blow drying her hair. Her hair is gorgeous !

I noticed you were also in MD, get out ! I used to live there from like 2001 till 2005. I liked it there. I lived in Howard County. A lot to do too, I mean as long as you had a car. I know my sister always complained about the bus system. In Montreal you have buses, metro and the train all running more frequently.

Khadija

Has anyone been able to find indigo in a store rather than online? I hate shopping online and I would much prefer to find some indigo to add to my henna mix in a store rather than online, any suggestions?

Im not quite sure if henna is worth it just yet. Don't get me wrong I love it, but when it comes around the time for a touch up, Henna is not to good for me, because it makes my hair reallll realllllll thick. One day I did a Henna, and went to the Dominican's for a regular wash set and blow, and normally my hair is very easy to manage, and comb through, and it doesn't matter usually how much new growth I have its very easy to smooth straight. But this time it was difficult for them to wash it, it was difficult for them to set it, and it was difficult for them to blow dry it. All they kept on saying you need a perm mami, when just the week before no one was complaining. So...I tried Henna again, but the one that is already mixed Surya Henna - and I loved it, and it wasn't as drying as the other Henna, the powder Henna. But I will never use Henna during the weeks up to my touch up ever again, Hell that Henna made me have to get a touch up 2 weeks before my scheduled touch up.

IHE Order??

keluric said:
Look at the prices for IHE.. they have indigo as well.
http://www.indian-herbs-exporters.com

This is where I got what I believe to be a good deal. $39.60 total cost for 1000g of henna and 1000g of indigo. The same henna that HTH sells.

Hi Keluic, I was checking out that web site you were speaking of. Can you post an update of how your order turns out? Sounds like a super deal, but the thing we have run into is BAQ henna vs HQ henna. I'm not clear on which they are selling on their site.

Thanks!

Henna Sooq said:
No problem Atlanta. I don't want to make it sound discouraging for many of you, but just want to let you know what suppliers do to get quality product in from other countries. Jamila is a great company to work with but all of the other countries sometimes you run the risk of working with someone you never met and they could easily just take your money and run. So we have to build up these relationships.

Anytime you start using henna regardless of the color you want to achieve (from reds to browns to blacks) you have to start off using henna first because indigo alone won't cling to the hair strand good enough. It needs help from henna. So do a henna application first, don't be worried about it, especially if you are using good quality henna (but please if you aren't sure do the hair strand tests first). Then if you like red keep on with red (I suggest some amla added in for volume/wave/curl, but this will also tone down the red color a bit). With dark hair it will give it just a nice highlight, like burgundy/mahogany.
If you want brown when you are doing your henna mixture throw in a bit of indigo (the more the darker, the less more chestnut brown tones). You just have to get a good proportion that you are happy with. This is called a one step process.

If you want black, then do the henna and then after that is finished, then do an indigo and that will give you darkest results. This is called a 2-step process.

Lastly, another nice thing you can do with henna, is a Henna Gloss!! If you just want a bit of color, a little ya know yumph, put some henna into a bottle of conditioner and mix it very well, and just put that on your hair and wrap well and get a deep conditioning treatment. You can do this with your conditioning creams as well because they all need to be washed out. Your hair will be SOFT ! It strenghtens it. It's amazing! All that protection from a natural product like henna is something else.
God gave us this plant, and think about how many of our African sisters are using this. Henna grows in the hottest countries and is used for centuries by these women. I think it is really a blessing (ie henna).

Khadija

Great post!!
Been thinking about henna for two months now :lol:. Guess I'll mosey around to an application by Xmas.

Henna Sooq said:

Khadija

WOW!! That is a great idea!!! Keep em coming, girl! :)

SohoHair said:
Has anyone been able to find indigo in a store rather than online? I hate shopping online and I would much prefer to find some indigo to add to my henna mix in a store rather than online, any suggestions?

I'd like to know this, too. If so, what brand are people buying?

Henna Sooq said:
I love your picture of the girl blow drying her hair. Her hair is gorgeous !

I noticed you were also in MD, get out ! I used to live there from like 2001 till 2005. I liked it there. I lived in Howard County. A lot to do too, I mean as long as you had a car. I know my sister always complained about the bus system. In Montreal you have buses, metro and the train all running more frequently.

Khadija

I live in Howard County - Columbia to be exact. I have visited Montreal and I loved it there. Around here you haev more public transportation in the city and less in the suburbs, like Columbia.

The "Henna" that is clear that is sold at Sally's beauty supply to enhance the shine of your hair..that's not a chemical is it? I want to use it because it is already prepared and easy, but if it's a chemical, I'll just put in work...

Back