Is flat ironing a must after relaxing?

LexiDior

This morning I relaxed with Optimum Alma Oil and now my hair looks and feels like it has not be relaxed in months. I have tangles very bad-actually the worst ive ever had in my life.

I watched a review yesterday about the Alma oil relaxer and most people flat ironed afterwards. What am I missing??

What do you mean it looks and feels like it hasn't been relaxed in months? What strength did you use? How long did you process? Did you properly neutralize? Did you relax only the new growth? Did you deep condition after?

No, you don't have to flat iron after relaxing.

Unfortunately, I don't know what could be causing you to tangle so badly after getting a touchup. I only rollerset after relaxing though.

Unfortunately, I don't know what could be causing you to tangle so badly after getting a touchup. I only rollerset after relaxing though.

I rollerset after I relax as well, but OP now that you mention it, when I at home self relaxed in the past I would just air dry and moisturize and I tangled soooo badly. I attributed it to the fact I was not a DIYer, which is why I now only go to the salon for my relaxers...

Back when I used to relax, sometimes my hair would be just like that after I relaxed it, neutralized and washed it out. Other times, relaxing it, it would be so smooth and silky feeling.. But that was kind of hit or miss. I remember coming out of the shower with puffy, tangly hair that felt kinda rough a few times.
Even when I'd just let it be like that (bad hair habits combined with extreme frustration) and flat iron it, it would break a lot more and feel the same. Something that helped me was an ACV rinse after the relaxer with cold water. Thinking back, it must've had something to do with porosity I guess, though I'm not really sure.
Sorry, just my two cents, not sure what else it could be.

The one i bought had no super or regular, the box said for all hair types. It stayed in for 15mins, i shampooed until the suds were white, I relaxes on my new growth, and i DCed for an hour and a half.

Maybe this is because I air dried. Im not the best at wrapping my hair so when I air dry I just cover my hair. I dont comb it or anything because that leads to breakage but at this rate it wouldnt matter.

Air drying my hair without it being tied down makes it feel rough. Next time try roller setting and it will probably come out softer.

not for me!
I've learned how to air dry my hair straight. I luv that method.
I cant roller set to perfection to save my life.
I do section my hair in 2 sections & use my huge roller ( 2 per ponytail)
that keep my ends really straight.
I would be lost without the t-shirt airdry method....:grin:

my hair just airdried would be a mess....:nono:

The one i bought had no super or regular, the box said for all hair types. It stayed in for 15mins, i shampooed until the suds were white, I relaxes on my new growth, and i DCed for an hour and a half.

Maybe this is because I air dried. Im not the best at wrapping my hair so when I air dry I just cover my hair. I dont comb it or anything because that leads to breakage but at this rate it wouldnt matter.

I have to comb before I air dry. my tangles really make some damage happen.
quick story: I took out corn rows didn't comb hair washed DC it took over 4 hrs + scissors. I HAVE to comb before. It was a tangled mess.

Last edited:
I have to comb before I air drled my the tangles w dry in the hair & really make some damage happen.
quick story: I took out corn rows didn't comb hair washed DC it took over 4 hrs + scissors I HAVE to comb. It was a tangled mess.

karenjoe

How did you do your hair after that? Friday I took out my box braids, there were tangles but I got them out on Saturday, now today (Sunday), I relaxed and now I still have the tangles. How did your hair bounce back after that??

I usually flat iron after a relaxer, just for the look, but I know now that you don't really have to. Use a wrapping foam and dry or roller set, like a lot of women do here. After a fresh relaxer, I don't think you should even have to flat iron, unless you want your hair bone straight.

@karenjoe

How did you do your hair after that? Friday I took out my box braids, there were tangles but I got them out on Saturday, now today (Sunday), I relaxed and now I still have the tangles. How did your hair bounce back after that??

It took a week. I had to deep condition for at least 3 hrs. I blow dried I flat ironed s straight as I could.
I lost a lot of hair by not combing my hair out before washing.

I bought a bottle of S-curl I use that the night before if I'm tangled. it really soften my hair. I like this stuff.... ( who knew it was so good?)

after braids I would wait at least a week before a relaxer.
allow the hair to losen up a little & to get rid of the shedding hair
if that make sense S-CURL...... GURL :yep:

Last edited:
I use to use ORS relaxer but it just wasnt doing me right anymore.

Im just getting use to my hair so It feels strange to do it myself. Sometimes I feel like calling up my stylist and asking her to do one of her professional relaxers, my stayed straight for weeks.

Ladies how do you do it!?!?! Im going crazy here with all the failure.

sounds like a relaxer issue. i plan on going back to using lye. it could be under
processed or over processed. did you base your scalp and did it get on your new growth?

i based my previously relaxed hair with the treatment that comes with the relaxer, not my scalp, i never do.

I use to use ORS relaxer but it just wasnt doing me right anymore.

Im just getting use to my hair so It feels strange to do it myself. Sometimes I feel like calling up my stylist and asking her to do one of her professional relaxers, my stayed straight for weeks.

Ladies how do you do it!?!?! Im going crazy here with all the failure.

SC Amla is a lithium hydroxide relaxer and doesn't get the hair bone straight but dries it out a bit more. ORS is sodium hydroxide that straightens more and doesn't dry out the strands as much. Maybe it was the mixture of the two?

JaneBond007
Ive never thought about that!! Thanks. Maybe the two did mix and it is what caused the tangles. Ive never thought about mixing relaxers since people change and try relaxers all the time. Maybe I should read the ingredients more when choosing one.

LexiDior - I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your original question, but I wanted to recommend a couple of Roux products: Mendex (if you can find it) and their Porosity Control shampoo/conditioner. I don't know if your hair is overprocessed, but mine is and these two products made a difference after just one use! My hair tangles easily and has the 'wiry' look, but was smooth afterwards.

I found the whole line at Sally's, but the Mendex was marked down as though it might be discontinued. In the meantime, it couldn't hurt to do a neutralized shampoo and DC again...

I hope everything works out for you!

Back