Is anyone else AFRAID??? Waiting it out????

Lucky's Mom

In terms of any BKT or Brazilian blowout treatment?

There are literally dozens of these items on the market now... and everyone touts its own "wonder" for the new century.....

The only one I would consider - remotely - is the brazilian blowout ( see article)
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20100223

Anyway......I just keep thinking to myself - they are too new.....where are the long term users ( like longer than 6 months) .it seems not so wonderful if your hair ends up on the floor.... and for me... I worked for a looooong time to get my hair in a good place - sans the 'help' or hinderance of any stylist......

I dunno. I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there feeling like me- giving it like 5 years......
BTW - I tried to get a friend's stylist to get the BB product for me.... and she wanted to do my hair :rolleyes:
NO... thank you........ :nono:

Your thoughts ladies???????
(DISCLAIMER - this is not about - bad or good, just about trying new stuff.....)

I'm already relaxed, but my stylist convinced me to transition to using BKT, touting that there are no harsh chemicals. I fell for it and dropped $250 for the treatment. My hair was sooo thin and lifeless afterwards. I was not happy with it at all. And I wouldn't put any product on my hair, but it was always oily and greasy and felt coated.

So, no I didn't wait it out, but I would never get it again!

A lot of brazillian/hispanic and white women have been using it for years before it made its rounds on the hair boards. I'm not sure if there is a way to follow up with them for the long term effects

Hey Lucky's Mom, I JUST finished my BKT and I'm loving it all over again!(did one in November) It isn't really a new product, just new to us. When I got my first treatment in Boca Raton, the ladies who were getting their hair done had, lemme see, about 3x more hair than I do and had much more to lose!

Nobody there had any problems after multiple treatments over a several year period. If I hadn't seen women with beautiful mbl/wsl hair receiving the treatment, I might be more wary. I will say, however, that they were not Black women. Didn't matter to me, cuz I think hair is hair.

Have you considered doing a small bit of your hair and then waiting a few weeks to see if you like it?

Oh yeah, in another thread I referenced Nicole Richie's use of BKT - she uses the brand you mentioned - Brazilian Blowout.

ETA: This treatment IS NOT FOR PEOPLE WITH HAIR ISSUES! If you have problems, they need to be worked out BEFORE BKT'ing. Don't let 'em fool you, it DOES NOT REPAIR DAMAGED HAIR.

Last edited:
My concern is not that my hair might fall out... it's about the health implications of the chemicals being used. Five years is not long enough :imo: to know the true health impact of the product. How long did it take before people realized cigarettes caused cancer?

For me, it just isn't that serious to risk a serious illness later in life. Good luck and everything to you ladies who do choose to use it. It just won't be me, the gamble is not worth it.

Below is a list of common household products that contain known irritants, carcinogens and/or neurotoxins. Carcinogens are chemicals that cause cancer. Neurotoxins are chemicals that adversely affect the nervous system reducing emotional well being, mental alertness, coordination and other functions associated with intelligence.

Lysol Disinfectant (all scents)
Renuzit Air Deodorizer
Bon Ami Foam Cleaner
Citra-Solv
Fantastik All-Purpose Cleaner
Formula 409
Pine-Sol Multi-Action Spray
Pledge Household Cleaner
Simple Green
Spic & Span Cleaner
Scotts Liquid Gold
Lemon Pledge
Tilex Soap Scum Remover
Glass Plus
Ajax Cleaner
Gillette Foamy Skin Conditioning
Speed Stick Deodorant
Soft Soap
Secret Deodorant S.O.S. Ammonia Glass Cleaner
Dawn Sureshot
S.O.S. Vinegar Cleaner
Joy Dishwashing Liquid
Windex Glass Cleaner
Shout Aerosol & Stick
Sunlight Dishwashing Liquid
Spray & Wash Stain Remover
Kleen King Alum.& Copper Clnr
KR2 Spot Lifter
Behold Furniture Wax
Depend-o Blue Toilet Cleaner
Endust
3M Aerosol Spot Remover
Formby's Lemon & Almond Spray
Most Home & Garden Pesticides
Old English Furniture Spray
Dove Soap Bars Right Guard Deodorant
Ponds Dry Skin Bar
Palmolive Skin Bar
Lady Speed Stick
Lever 2000
Irish Spring Deodorant
Lifebouy Soap
Jergens Liquid Soap
English Leather Deodorant
Ban Roll-on
Caress Body Bar
Camay
Ultra Brite Toothpaste
Cepacol Mouthwash
Crest Tartar Control
Listerine Original & Cool Mint
Arm & Hammer Toothpaste
Colgate Toothpaste
Scope Mouthwash

Nearly everything we use can be linked to cancer. Yeah, it is pretty sad.

BKT did not agree with my relaxed hair. I did try it again while I was in a sewn in at the beginning of my transition , and my ng responded well. I will probably use it in the future, but want to wait a little while until I fully learn how to manage my unalterd natural texture.

Thanks for the list sip100. My family uses natural products as much as possible for this very reason.

Some people may say hey, we're drowning in neurotoxins and carcinogens anyway, so I may as well have some sprayed on my head too! That is certainly their free choice. I will not be among their ranks.

Thanks for the list sip100. My family uses natural products as much as possible for this very reason.

Some people may say hey, we're drowning in neurotoxins and carcinogens anyway, so I may as well have some sprayed on my head too! That is certainly their free choice. I will not be among their ranks.

LOL! Most of the shampoos the ladies of LHCF use and recommend have parabens and other cancer-causing agents too. Many ladies use these products on their hair every single day, not once every 4 or 5 months, as you would a BKT. I choose to skip the poos and other hair products and choose the BKT.

Black women have exceedingly high rates of cancer - mostly linked to DIET, not hair products, nail polish, deoderants, etc.

Hey Lucky's Mom, I JUST finished my BKT and I'm loving it all over again!(did one in November) It isn't really a new product, just new to us. When I got my first treatment in Boca Raton, the ladies who were getting their hair done had, lemme see, about 3x more hair than I do and had much more to lose!

Nobody there had any problems after multiple treatments over a several year period. If I hadn't seen women with beautiful mbl/wsl hair receiving the treatment, I might be more wary. I will say, however, that they were not Black women. Didn't matter to me, cuz I think hair is hair.

Have you considered doing a small bit of your hair and then waiting a few weeks to see if you like it?

Oh yeah, in another thread I referenced Nicole Richie's use of BKT - she uses the brand you mentioned - Brazilian Blowout.

ETA: This treatment IS NOT FOR PEOPLE WITH HAIR ISSUES! If you have problems, they need to be worked out BEFORE BKT'ing. Don't let 'em fool you, it DOES NOT REPAIR DAMAGED HAIR.

Thanks!! I think that is part of the hype, unfortunately....thanks for the info... You are right - new to black folks......

My concern is not that my hair might fall out... it's about the health implications of the chemicals being used. Five years is not long enough :imo: to know the true health impact of the product. How long did it take before people realized cigarettes caused cancer?

For me, it just isn't that serious to risk a serious illness later in life. Good luck and everything to you ladies who do choose to use it. It just won't be me, the gamble is not worth it.

Yes.... I know.... I am with you...

Below is a list of common household products that contain known irritants, carcinogens and/or neurotoxins. Carcinogens are chemicals that cause cancer. Neurotoxins are chemicals that adversely affect the nervous system reducing emotional well being, mental alertness, coordination and other functions associated with intelligence.

Renuzit Air Deodorizer
Bon Ami Foam Cleaner
Citra-Solv
Formula 409
Pledge Household Cleaner
Simple Green
Spic & Span Cleaner
Scotts Liquid Gold
Lemon Pledge
Tilex Soap Scum Remover
Glass Plus
Ajax Cleaner
Speed Stick Deodorant
Soft Soap
Dawn Sureshot
S.O.S. Vinegar Cleaner
Joy Dishwashing Liquid
Windex Glass Cleaner
Shout Aerosol & Stick
KR2 Spot Lifter
Behold Furniture Wax
Endust
3M Aerosol Spot Remover
Ponds Dry Skin Bar
Palmolive Skin Bar
Lady Speed Stick
Lever 2000
Irish Spring Deodorant
Lifebouy Soap
Jergens Liquid Soap
Ban Roll-on
Caress Body Bar
Camay
Ultra Brite Toothpaste
Cepacol Mouthwash
Crest Tartar Control
Arm & Hammer Toothpaste
Colgate Toothpaste
Scope Mouthwash

Thanks for this... I use lots of natural stuff too....and not much of what is on this list....
The Brazilian Blowout alleges no Scary chems... So - we will see....

LOL! Most of the shampoos the ladies of LHCF use and recommend have parabens and other cancer-causing agents too. Many ladies use these products on their hair every single day, not once every 4 or 5 months, as you would a BKT. I choose to skip the poos and other hair products and choose the BKT.

Black women have exceedingly high rates of cancer - mostly linked to DIET, not hair products, nail polish, deoderants, etc.

agreed...............But this is not a DEBATE!!!!!:yep:

Oh yeah, I do use a formaldehyde-free formula. It still has unpronounceable stuff in it, but I figured I could do without the high-powered treatment. Formulas with formaldehyde can actually straighten natural/virgin hair and last longer, supposedly. I'm not trying to find out.

Renuzit Air Deodorizer
Bon Ami Foam Cleaner
Citra-Solv
Formula 409
Pledge Household Cleaner
Simple Green
Spic & Span Cleaner
Scotts Liquid Gold
Lemon Pledge
Tilex Soap Scum Remover
Glass Plus
Ajax Cleaner
Speed Stick Deodorant
Soft Soap
Dawn Sureshot
S.O.S. Vinegar Cleaner
Joy Dishwashing Liquid
Windex Glass Cleaner
Shout Aerosol & Stick
KR2 Spot Lifter
Behold Furniture Wax
Endust
3M Aerosol Spot Remover
Ponds Dry Skin Bar
Palmolive Skin Bar
Lady Speed Stick
Lever 2000
Irish Spring Deodorant
Lifebouy Soap
Jergens Liquid Soap
Ban Roll-on
Caress Body Bar
Camay
Ultra Brite Toothpaste
Cepacol Mouthwash
Crest Tartar Control
Arm & Hammer Toothpaste
Colgate Toothpaste
Scope Mouthwash

WOW thank you for this list, I will have to do some research for my products.

I'm already relaxed, but my stylist convinced me to transition to using BKT, touting that there are no harsh chemicals. I fell for it and dropped $250 for the treatment. My hair was sooo thin and lifeless afterwards. I was not happy with it at all. And I wouldn't put any product on my hair, but it was always oily and greasy and felt coated.

So, no I didn't wait it out, but I would never get it again!
Girl Your ARMS are bangin'..

OP,
I am like that too. Not b/c I'm afraid but my hair hates excessive heat and chemicals. I like it just fine the way it is and only want it all silky on rare occasions. Besides, I remember all sorts of products from Nad to BC that hit the market and 12 months later death and the ever popular class action lawsuits followed:nono:.

I am scared too. And not really sure I want to jump on the bandwagon. The pro's sound great but I've heard of some bad experiences. I dunno, I thinkk I'll wait it out; maybe think of it when I'm maxed out on my styles/maintenance and am looking for something else. Right now, I'm good.

I've always been suspicious of any new stuff. I don't do new. Not unless what I've been using is failing me in some way. Otherwise, I don't fix what isn't broken.

OT, I was watching TRHONY and was floored that one of the ladies was so excited to have the "latest cosmetic procedures" done on her. Nah suh! I will not be anyone's guinea pig. Even when I took my kitties to be neutered, I told the vet what anesthetic to use. She tried to tell me there is actually a new one....
I didn't hear anything else she said coz I was put off at "new". She can try out new stuff on other kitties; mine will have the old tried and true, thank you very much!

I've always been suspicious of any new stuff. I don't do new. Not unless what I've been using is failing me in some way. Otherwise, I don't fix what isn't broken.

OT, I was watching TRHONY and was floored that one of the ladies was so excited to have the "latest cosmetic procedures" done on her. Nah suh! I will not be anyone's guinea pig. Even when I took my kitties to be neutered, I told the vet what anesthetic to use. She tried to tell me there is actually a new one....
I didn't hear anything else she said coz I was put off at "new". She can try out new stuff on other kitties; mine will have the old tried and true, thank you very much!

I bet your kitties love you, watching out for them. :lachen:

I am reading the BKT threads and just sucking up all the information, I must say it does sound pretty good for the hair, I think I will take 6 months of fact finding and allowing my hair to be at its best potential before possibly taking the bkt leap.

Well - I have to say I agree with you nonie..... I am not fooling around with "new". I am going to try the thermasmooth line - umm :look: only the condish and Serum. We will see....

Well - I have to say I agree with you nonie..... I am not fooling around with "new". I am going to try the thermasmooth line - umm :look: only the condish and Serum. We will see....

Chile, I have no idea why you're even curious about these things. Your hair always looks stretched to me and smooth/shiny so what is it that you're trying fix? Plus I spied you as one who not only had her staples but was also quite the mixologist and could make do without any outside products. You better not be turning PJ on me. :rolleyes:

I think the super high heat that's used in the BKT process is what concerns me. Then that has to be repeated after a certain amount of time. So it seems like damage, though it's hidden temporarily with keratin, would show up at some point even though it's hidden for a while.

Initially I was in the "hell no" club but I finally broke down and gave it a try. I liked the results, although my hair, except for the last couple inches at the time, was natural. I did my own, didn't turn my flat iron up ridiculously high just because the directions suggested, and I was very pleased. The last time I did it was in November. The treatment has since worn off completely and my hair is the same as it was before trying the BKT and the fact that it wears off instead of having to transition or chop has relaxers beat any day in my book. Like others have already stated, this treatment is not new by any means--it's just becoming more widely known within our community.

ETA: Oh yea, another thing I've noticed with some people who have experienced damage after BKT is that they think the keratin is an end all, be all "conditioning" treatment and end up throwing their regular practices such as DC's and using a heat protectant to the wayside. I would say to anyone who does this treatment to keep it business as usual; continue to prepoo/DC, moisturize and use a heat protectant!

Last edited:
I am scared to use it because of all the people that said their hair actually fell out. I don't know the reason behind this (person who applied it or hair type), but I've read a lot of stories on Oprah.com and other sites. I was seriously considering getting because of all the good reviews on LHCF. I was traumatized by a relaxer taking out ALL my hair and it has since grown back, but I'm scared. So I'm leaning on the safe side and not doing it, although the PJ in me is crying out, I just can't do it.

Back