Is anybody else's kitchen in the middle of your head???

luvn_life

My "kitchen" is in the middle of my head. It is so dang rough and dry. I cant even comb it when its wet and definitely not when its dry... I don't know what the heck is going on??? It also itches alot. I am currently 9 months post so I was thinking maybe its scab hair or something... I have no clue. Its not even a type.

Can somebody help me??? What could it possibly be???

Last edited:
I don't think you understand what a "kitchen" is.

The kitchen is just another name for the nape, or the part along the neck. It's not called that because it's a problem spot.

Your kitchen can be doing well. But it'll still be the kitchen.

The kitchen in your house is usually near the back of the house. That's where the name came from.

I think your crown is the problem spot for you.

Last edited:
Yeah my crown is problematic too, I really have to focus on moisturising that area as it's shorter than everywhere else.

Yeah, I have the same problem. Very dry, unmanageable crown area. It is my fastest growing area though..love it.

All you can do is give that area some extra TLC.. My crown is my problem area..shorter then the rest, breaks easy , tends to be dry and thick as.....yeah.. however I give it more TLC and try not to stress out so much,so I can keep as much hair there as possible..lol..

Yup thats the area with the most frizz, its also the thickest
I always have to have a little extra product for that area!:lachen:

That is my problem area too. I dread doing that part of my hair because it takes way too much time and patience but I am trying to change my attitude about doing that section. That area is shorter than the rest. I try to give it extra moisture.

This seems fairly common. My crown is finally back to normal from babying it for the past year and not using heat (my flat-iron caused a lot of breakage in that area).

But it will always be my "problem area." The curls are tighter than anywhere else on my head, it knots up the worst, and it is actually pretty tender when I'm detangling (and I am not tender-headed in general). :shrugs: It is what it is.

The middle of my head used to be very dry and difficult to detangle but I realized I wasnt getting enough conditioner there. I had to get out of the shower and section my hair to make sure I wasnt neglecting that area.

It took a while, but now it's as soft as the rest of my hair with equal manageability.

My problem area is the back of my head above my nape. It is the dryest and the most coily, kinky, curly part of my hair. What has help me to over come this bad spot was by babying the area. When I deep condition my hair I part my hair like I am doing a relaxer so that I get condition on every part of my hair and I also do this when I moisturize my hair. Try this for a while and hopefully you will see a difference.

Mine most definitely is :grin:. My edges are silky smooth, and most of my hair is what I'd call normal, but my crown area is the area that's most prone to breakage, roughness, and dryness, for some reason.

The middle of my head used to be very dry and difficult to detangle but I realized I wasnt getting enough conditioner there. I had to get out of the shower and section my hair to make sure I wasnt neglecting that area.

It took a while, but now it's as soft as the rest of my hair with equal manageability.

Exactly what I do. :yep: I also moisturize my hair with a water-based moisturizer to keep it manageable.

I have the same problem in the area right above my nape but below the crown.

DITTO...I actually though my hair broke off right there but it was just soooo bushy. It appeared to be much shorter than the rest of my hair. Once I moisturized it to death it evens up with the rest of my hair.

My problem area is the back of my head above my nape. It is the dryest and the most coily, kinky, curly part of my hair. What has help me to over come this bad spot was by babying the area. When I deep condition my hair I part my hair like I am doing a relaxer so that I get condition on every part of my hair and I also do this when I moisturize my hair. Try this for a while and hopefully you will see a difference.

A couple others just b4 the above post also mentioned things similiar to my problem i had for a year give or take a month or two in 08'-09.

My hair also above the nape and below crown (roots) were dry and hard .Couldn't ever seem to get and keep moisturized.

After months of tlc with moisturizing and dcing etc. I no longer have that issue.

I'm almost natural and that area has loosened is easier to moisturize (still a lil' more rough that other roots) but it made such a difference i now know it's true that YOU MUST TREAT ALL AREAS OF YOUR HAIR EXACTLY THE SAME.

OKie dokie... Well its nice to see that I am not the only one with that problem... I guess I can just try moisturizing it to death and doing overnight DCs on wash days...

Thank you so much ladies!

my crown is tougher to handle than the rest of my hair too. its thicker, dryer, and the coils are tighter. it also grows faster than th erest of my hair. like its taunting me with its wildness or something lol. ♥

Back