Is $40 too much for a hair cut (???)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
One of my friends referred me to a lady at a beauty salon in my city who's good at hair cutting and styling. I called to ask how much she charges and she said $40! :shocked: I thought that was a bit outrageous of a price!

Is this a normal price for a haircut? For stylists that charge this high, do they do a very good professional job at cutting hair compared to franchise stylists? Is a hair cut really worth $40?

Thanks in advance!

that sounds reasonable to me. i used to pay more than that just for a press and curl (before i was introduced to the wonders of the $20 dominican blowout!).

I think that may be the going rate. When I got my hair trimmed last year it was $35. I thought that was extremely high. But, the last time I went to the salon before that was years ago. I used to pay $10 for a trim. I guess you have to factor in inflation.

Not were I live...that's normal!! Sometimes it also depends on how much they're going to cut off...and how difficult it is to cut that style you want.

Last edited:
I work in a salon and they charge $68 to $85. The clients are mainly white but we do have one guy who can do relaxed hair too well.

La Var salon in New York charge $60 for a cut and $30 for a trim. I guese it depend on what you are willing to spend

swirl said:
that sounds reasonable to me. i used to pay more than that just for a press and curl (before i was introduced to the wonders of the $20 dominican blowout!).

[size=+1]WHAT!! [/size]A dominican blowout only cost $20.

$40 for a cut is not too much, b/c like the other ladies have said it probably includes a wash and style as well. Last week I was going to go to the Salon with my sister in law, untill she told me that her stylist doesn't do timms, only cuts... and that she would be charging 50 for it. I said no right off the bat.. b/c if she was doing a cut I know alot was going to come off, and I wasn't going to pay 50 for something I didnt want..How could they not do trimms??. :confused:

thickness said:
I think that may be the going rate. When I got my hair trimmed last year it was $35. I thought that was extremely high. But, the last time I went to the salon before that was years ago. I used to pay $10 for a trim. I guess you have to factor in inflation.

I should have been more clear. The $35 I paid was IN ADDITION to the $40 I paid for the shampoo/style. So, my total was $75. I used to pay $35, $25 for shampoo/style and $10 for a trim.

Wow is this just for a CUT? TO me that sounds kind of expensive and I am speaking from an Atlanta perspective...You can probably find a CUT for like half the price......Is this wash, cut, AND style? If so...that I would say it's not bad...if if it's just for a cut, I would say thats kind of steep.

:think: Well ladies, I've made a decision...

...I'm gonna let my Mother cut my hair since she's always been the one to cut and trim my hair when I was younger! So I'll be making a free appointment with her Saturday! :grin:

$40 is just too much for me to pay for JUST a hair cut! :look:

c_octavia said:
$40 for a cut is not too much, b/c like the other ladies have said it probably includes a wash and style as well. Last week I was going to go to the Salon with my sister in law, untill she told me that her stylist doesn't do timms, only cuts... and that she would be charging 50 for it. I said no right off the bat.. b/c if she was doing a cut I know alot was going to come off, and I wasn't going to pay 50 for something I didnt want..How could they not do trimms??. :confused:
Some stylists/salons don't differentiate between a trim and a cut, the philosophy being that anytime they have to pick up a pair of shears, they are cutting, even if they're taking off only 1/4 all over. :look:

Back