Intimidated by really good looking men

JewelleNY

I am currently casually talking to a really good looking guy. Really, he is HOT! :pepper:

However, I find that I am very intimidated by his looks and I find that I am always worried about whether I look good enough to be with him. I feel it is so much easier to date a guy who is nice looking but not "GQ".

Anyone else have this problem? Is it harder to date hot guys than casually good looking ones?

Please share :)

Initially I find myself self conscience around any man that I'm interested in. Judging from your siggy, you are a very pretty lady. You never know, he could be just as intimidated of you. Once you get to know him outside his GQ-ness, you will start to grow comfortable with being yourself around him.

I used to be. My ex was FINE! I mean super FINE. Then I saw how much issues he has. Now, looks dont bother me anymore because I know I look dang good myself.

Girl please, youre gorgeous. You better let him know you make him look better by being around you without you saying a word.

Last edited:
I am currently casually talking to a really good looking guy. Really, he is HOT! :pepper:

However, I find that I am very intimidated by his looks and I find that I am always worried about whether I look good enough to be with him. I feel it is so much easier to date a guy who is nice looking but not "GQ".

Anyone else have this problem? Is it harder to date hot guys than casually good looking ones?

I so understand. I am the same way. I have sabotaged more meetups, by my negative thoughts against me .

Ugh! It is a terrible terrible feeling.

Whoooo, I have a GQ man and I love it! He always looks so nice and carries himself well. I should have been with him a long time ago. Jewelle, put the shoe on the other foot: I have a seen a picture of you before and you are gorgeous. He might be thinking the same thing you are thinking: "She is fineeeee, I don't know what she sees in me, but I like her!"

Jewell, I have this same insecurity. I realize it is from negative self talk. I look at the men I settled with and I wonder did I sometimes think I couldn't snag or keep a GQ man. You are a very pretty woman. He would be lucky to have you. Sometimes it is funny that others see our worth quicker than we do.

Umm...if that's you in your siggy, honey...you have absolutely NOTHING to worry about...hear me?! (got my momma voice going:lachen:) But seriously, he should be the one that can't believe he got your phone number:yep: I hope he is a good man for you Jewels....he has a lot to bring to the table to prove himself of being worthy of your time:yep:

Last edited:
Nope. I'm not intimidated at all because I believe I'm just as fine or even finer. lol If you have uber self confidence, nothing else matters. Judging by your siggie pic, you're very attractive yourself!

ETA: Just keep thinking that he should be happy to be with YOU, and that helps. :-)

Last edited:
I'm dating a very good looking man right now and yes, sometimes it's hard but not because I'm intimidated by his looks... I make sure he realizes that I'm no slacker in the looks department either, and just like he has options, so do I!! :grin: I actually feel like we are equal lookswise, which helps, because if I didn't think I was cute enough for him, then there might be a problem!! :look: He is used to women who let him get away with stuff and are willing to do anything for him and I am sooo NOT that way, so it has actually been a lot of fun showing him that not everyone is going to put up with the garbage!! :nono: I think he sees me as a challenge and that can only be a good thing! :yep:

I'm dating a very good looking man right now and yes, sometimes it's hard but not because I'm intimidated by his looks... I make sure he realizes that I'm no slacker in the looks department either, and just like he has options, so do I!! :grin: I actually feel like we are equal lookswise, which helps, because if I didn't think I was cute enough for him, then there might be a problem!! :look: He is used to women who let him get away with stuff and are willing to do anything for him and I am sooo NOT that way, so it has actually been a lot of fun showing him that not everyone is going to put up with the garbage!! :nono: I think he sees me as a challenge and that can only be a good thing! :yep:

This is how I kept my man who is now my hubby of 16yrs! He finally told after 10yrs it was the fire in me that kept him...LOL!

OP, yeah, girl your are a prize! Don't worry and keep your head up...be yourself!! Good luck!

Nope, I don't have that insecurity. My SO is fine as hell and he feels proud to have me on his arm. Any man you date should feel the same way because girl you are georgous!!!!

Thanks so much for the input and compliments ladies! :yep:

I realized that I have always taken the easy route and dated less intimidating guys. I will try to be confident and just have fun :)

I can be intimidated...it has to do more with me ..where my head is at ..
than with them
so it ..depends... there are definitely times w/good looking guys, hot,etc and I could have cared less...and dated a bunch like 123....and dropped them like 123
until my soulmate came along...and he dropped me :(

Currently..there IS an amazing man I met at an industry function a few weeks back
VERY goodlooking ..like Rob Lowe....Christopher Reeve....Zac Ephron ...
and he started talking to me... asked for my card..I thot nothing of it...
just kind of sighed..wow...but never expected to hear from him,
but he emailed me right away and made it clear he was pursuing me
...asked me out for a drink.. I said i..cant
asked me for coffee the next week..I said another time
but he's being patient so far...we're getting to know each other..he's called me and he's a writer and very very supportive of my writing {I showed some to him}
....it's been a sweet semi-romantic dialogue w/out weirdness so it feels reaaal good...

He is HOT tho,I am not feeling so pretty these days...
he emailed yesterday and told me let him know when I had some time for him
I'd better do that soon :)

and there was a fire fighter..super hot...
I messed that up by saying no too many times..when he asked me out
the door is open...for that one...but it's still...iffy

so...LOL...say YES!
go for it!

Last edited:
I met a hottie last week at a professional networking event. I wouldn't say I'm intimidated by him, but he does give me butterflies and make me nervous. I definitely don't think he's better looking than me or anything like that. I think the nervousness comes from not knowing whether or not I'm his type.
The key is to not put him on an unrealistic pedestal and remember that you probably make him nervous for the same reasons. If he's already dating you, then obviously there's nothing to be intimidated by. Have fun and enjoy the ride. Who knows where it will lead.

Me personally don't go for the above average man in the looks department. I like to look at them but feel that some are more trouble than they are worth I am not the type to be infatuated by the way a man looks.

Maybe I am just making generalizations but I do not deal with very handsome, good looking men who have women throwing themselves at them (or turning many heads) b/c I feel like they tend to taste more samples seeing as how they do not have to work for "it."

I felt this way about a man I met earlier this year. The first thing I thought was, "He belongs on the cover of GQ" and is always "Mr. GQ" in my mind. But I let my intimidation/skepticism that he was being more than friendly make me miss out, 'cause I think he really liked me. So, if he's talking to you, he likes you! And like everyone else said, you wouldn't have anything to worry about anyway. :yep:

ETA: Oh, and I second whoever said that when someone keeps giving off vibes that they're not good enough, I start to believe them. People will really start to believe what you project about yourself.

This is too true on so many levels. Not that I wouldnt date an above average man in looks but it doesnt stop there. And if you have girls everywhere, no freaking thank you.:nono:

Me personally don't go for the above average man in the looks department. I like to look at them but feel that some are more trouble than they are worth I am not the type to be infatuated by the way a man looks.

Maybe I am just making generalizations but I do not deal with very handsome, good looking men who have women throwing themselves at them (or turning many heads) b/c I feel like they tend to taste more samples seeing as how they do not have to work for "it."

Yes, and no.
There was someone super foxy in my differential equations class a few semesters ago, and now I see him from time to time in the engineering building.
Although, I am a very shy person, I actually made friends w/ him (w/o giggling) and ended up walking to the metro w/ him after classes. He actually turned out to be very nice, and not "too cool for school":cool2: despite being rather "GQ".

So to answer your question, if he is a nice man who happens to be very foxy, stick with it despite your shyness/self-consciousness.
I know that when I start looking to marry, I will pick the best-looking (good) man that I can find; whether or not I ever have children.
You, as my sister, should take only the best that comes your way.
If you're intimidated, don't be.

Im dating a FOIIINe man too got a body that looks like it was sculpted i kid you not and I must say i wasnt really intimidated by him as much cause we were friends first (but I do know the feeling of losing your cool when u meet a guy you like) i remember talking to him after a couple of dates and he told me he felt self conscious on the first couple of dates we were together LOL so he probably is thinking the same thing you are thinking

Last edited:
He's probabaly intimadated by you :)

Nice looking men have insecurities just like anybody else....you'd be surprised what they are...random things...like..

for real.....

and be real self conscious about them

wondering if you still like him despite ...

Pretty boys are sometimes the sweetest ones and sometimes make great hubbies.

He thinks you're cute enough. Go with it! Have fun. See if he has any depth.

Last edited:
My "hot boy" of 6 months and I were on the phone last night after midnight and he got a call waiting beep... he came back to the phone and told me it was some chick he dated last year "just wanting to say hello"... (YEAH, RIGHT!!!) Now THIS is when it gets difficult dating a cutie... dang these freakin hot pants women out there these days!! :wallbash: You gotta have A LOT of trust to deal with the ish!! :ohwell:

Back