Interesting comment from an older white hairdresser

:thankyou:

51KlRG8mifL._SL500_SY300_.jpg

images

Aretha-Franklin-image-031.jpg

Except that every single woman you have in your response is wearing a wig and/or straightened hair. What is a non-Black person supposed to make of this? Or are they not supposed to comment?

I think that black women are still sensitive about our hair. We often wonder how other people see us. While our culture is changing and more women feel comfortable being natural, I believe that there are still more women w relaxers than natural.

When I look at the teenagers, I see a small percentage w natural hair. We all make our own choices for a variety of reasons, but most of us still want to be accepted. The lucky few will tell everyone to go to heck.

Don't put that on 'black women'. :look:

Just because a black woman has a relaxer, doesn't mean she's trying to be accepted.

I'm rockin a small twa under my previously relaxed hair right now. I love all of my hair just the same. Some think I look weird, but whatever. If you don't like my hair, I'll tell you to go to heck too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

This is just an observation but has anyone noticed that every other commercial featuring a black woman or girl is showing someone without straight hair? The WW made an observation based on her experience. What experience does she have...really? She doesn't have any black clients so on what information is she basing her observation? We were taught to hate our {fill in the blank}. We were taught that our {blank} was unacceptable. That so many of us are embracing our kinks and curls and coils is amazing to me. Now we have all kinds of choices about what to do with our hair and we have the support of forums like this one to help us on that journey. We have our choice of products which are available not just in the hood but at our local grocery, department store and even in our very own kitchens. I am watching the world around me embrace our many textures because we will spend some change on our hair and money talks, B.S. walks. I agree with those who say she should stay in her lane. The choice was made for me as a child but today I choose to be however I want to be and it has nothing to do with self-hatred.

As soon as I read "Interesting","White", and "Hairdressor", I was like....

671164.gif

ibeBnI6Iw0NPsG.gif

Sorry Pennefeather, Im sure you started this thread with the best intentions (and no I'm not being sarcastic) but :nono:.

According to her, many people with straight hair want curls, and those with curly hair want straight hair.

Then she said to me that black people were the worst offenders of all. So many of them don't like their texture.

Not offended... I agree with the above...

I can't really congratulate or be thankful for her for acknowledging the beauty of kinkier textures. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. Her ancestors are the reason that many of us deny our own beauty even now when "going natural " is at its most popular.

Something that isn't talked about though is that research has shown that white women have the lowest self esteem of them all.

So we really mad for the little old white lady for speaking truth? Oh. Ok.
No. If I was gon' be 'mad' at anybody in this situation, it would be at the OP for dutifully reporting her opinion like it means something to somebody. :lol: Old people have opinions, quite often wrong and quite often bigoted, no need to pass such nonsense along.

In regards to the comment of blacks disliking texture, I have to agree. I relax, but I under process plus wait three to four months in between treatments. My husband and I love the thick new growth, but when I walk into a hair salon or braiding shop, they have a look of disgust. One asked if I was natural ( wearing a braid out) with such loathing, that I walked out. I'm glad there are people who support the healthy hair movement but let's be honest, many of our folk would take straight, stringy hair over thick natural hair any day. And BA aren't the only offenders, plenty of Caribbeans and Africans will trash talk 'naps' in a heartbeat.

Sigh. I really hate that black women's hair is always up for debate. It's just hair. White women and other races get curly perms and experiment with color and extensions. I don't hear anyone questioning why. When I was in high school it was common place for the white girls to get curly perms. I didn't think anything of it. I'm currently natural and have been considering relaxing because I want a change and because I need something simpler for my busy schedule. I recently mentioned to one of the white hairdressers at the salon I go to that I'm thinking of relaxing. She told me that I had such a nice texture and that I should just have it blown out occasionally. I thought I was being too sensitive, but her comment rubbed me the wrong way.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

So we really mad for the little old white lady for speaking truth? Oh. Ok.
it's not what was said, the problem is who said it. Grandma Becky was out of line and out of order, especially given the history of how that particular race of people have pretty much shamed and degraded us concerning the texture of our hair, amongst other things. That's why I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone is even having a discussion off of what this old chick said. We all know about the issues the black community have when it comes to hair, the same with skin color, etc... But for some white lady to feel comfortable enough to say that? She needs a seat in the corner with a black history book.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
HappilyLiberal

I find it odd that your mom ESPECIALLY hates LONG natural hair. That is very telling and a bit disturbing actually. Like even if it's well maintained , she'll still hate it?

White lady spoke the truth. Now so what?:look: What does she want us to do? Is this a call to action? At the end of the day, its a personal choice. People need to let people be.

I think white people are comfortable talking about how we fell about our hair because we make them comfortable. We use no filter talking about how wonderful their hair is and how awfully nappy and difficult ours is. We openly harass public figures about their hair, ie Blue Ivy and that olympic gymnast. And while other races may use weave, they try to match their own texture, not someone elses. Bottom line, how long will we blame whites for how we feel about our hair and not take blame for own behavior?

Truth is truth regardless of the messenger

I was at a Nordstrom makeup counter today and the older white saleswoman said she loved my natural hair. She then went on to talk about how she wishes everyone would be natural and how she colored her hair for years to hide the gray. She said she finally decided to stop pretending she was something she wasn't and let it go all gray. We both talked about how it made us feel better to be who we really are.

@HappilyLiberal

I find it odd that your mom ESPECIALLY hates LONG natural hair. That is very telling and a bit disturbing actually. Like even if it's well maintained , she'll still hate it?

Yep... she hates natural hair. She hates long natural hair because it's even MORE natural hair! She's been getting my hair pressed since I was three. If I have girls, I am going to have to allow her supervised access only or they may come back with a relaxer.

Bottom line, how long will we blame whites for how we feel about our hair and not take blame for own behavior?

Truth is truth regardless of the messenger
:rolleyes: If I never hear this argument again, it will be too soon.

This is how long: the exact moment our babies stop getting disciplined in school for rocking their hair + 32 years.

Truth is not truth 'regardless of the messenger'. A healthy (ethnic/ racial) group has boundaries. The day I let some random other denigrate my sisters to me in polite conversation and I actually agree will mark the day I lost any sense of self-respect whatsoever. :rolleyes:

I do, however, agree that many of us tell too much, so happy a wp is taking interest. :look:

Back