Ingredients to Avoid in Poos, Cons, Etc.

pinayprincess

Hey ladies!

I have a vast array of different shampoos, conditioners, and the like. The thing is, I'm not sure which ones I should avoid due to poor ingredients. What is it that I should look for in a poo/con. I know I've read something about parabens, cones, sulfates, alcohol, and of course, mineral oil and petrolatum. But my question is, what ingredients should I avoid and what are their detrimental effects? I couldnt find a working link when I searched this question. Also, it would be great if you could help me figure out what ingredients I should look for in a poo/con/etc. Right now, I own a sulfate poo (Herbal Essence Break's Over Shampoo, V05 Kiwi & Lime Clarifying Poo, Optimum Poo) and I own Dove Moisturizing Conditioner and Dove Intense Therapy Conditioner.

How do I know whether something is a protein. What ingredients should I look for?

Thanks,

Ranika

I say avoid ingredients that don't work for your hair. Just because an ingredient is in a product does not mean the product is good or bad. All ingredients have to work together to give you results.The percentage of the ingredient also has to be taken into account. I personally am not an "ingredient cop" and use all the bad stuff and my hair always looks and feels great.

The info on parabens can be found in the "Health versus Hair Sticky". Cones are supposedly bad because they can buildup on the hair. Some sulfates are harsh and can strip the hair. Alcohol can have a drying effect also. Petrolatum and mineral oil is supposed to clog pores and keep moisture out of the hair, but I don't have a problem with them.

Some ingredients that are always good, at least IMO, are humectants. Glycerin, sorbitol, and glycols are good for attracting moisture and keeping a little in. Products with protein in them usually name the protein that's in it, i.e silk protein, soy protein, etc. Collagen and elastin are also proteins.

I haven't used any of the shampoos you listed, but Dove conditioners are great for my hair. If they are working for you, I see no reason to stop using them.

Last edited:
if your hair is underprocessed, as in, no color or relaxer, should i still worry about these purportedly "bad" ingredients?

B_Phlyy said:
I say avoid ingredients that don't work for your hair. Just because an ingredient is in a product does not mean the product is good or bad. All ingredients have to work together to give you results.The percentage of the ingredient also has to be taken into account. I personally am not an "ingredient cop" and use all the bad stuff and my hair always looks and feels great.

The info on parabens can be found in the "Health versus Hair Sticky". Cones are supposedly bad because they can buildup on the hair. Some sulfates are harsh and can strip the hair. Alcohol can have a drying effect also. Petrolatum and mineral oil is supposed to clog pores and keep moisture out of the hair, but I don't have a problem with them.

Some ingredients that are always good, at least IMO, are humectants. Glycerin, sorbitol, and glycols are good for attracting moisture and keeping a little in. Products with protein in them usually name the protein that's in it, i.e silk protein, soy protein, etc. Collagen and elastin are also proteins.

I haven't used any of the shampoos you listed, but Dove conditioners are great for my hair. If they are working for you, I see no reason to stop using them.

Great post! Whether it has "good" ingredients or "bad" ingredients, any shampoo that is made with a gel substance doesn't work in my hair. I have to get a poo that is made like a creme. So it all depends on the person.

pinayprincess said:
if your hair is underprocessed, as in, no color or relaxer, should i still worry about these purportedly "bad" ingredients?

If your hair is unprocess, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I used cones when I was natural, but when I tried to give them up, my hair rebelled. It really depends on each persons own hair.

Back