In your opinion, what heat setting should I use?

*Muffin*

My flat iron heats up to 400 degrees at it's hottest and has 20 heat settings. I'm relaxed and am almost 3 months post relaxer (around 1 1/2 to 2 inches of NG). What heat setting should I use? I planned flat ironing at a setting of 10, which would be about 200 degrees. Is that hot enough to straighten my NG? TIA :).

I believe you should use a good heat protector and turn it all the way up to 400F...370F ATLEAST.

I recognize alot of naturals (I know you aren't natural) who flat iron their hair on low "safe" settings 350F and can't figure out why their isn't straight or won't stay straight, but it gets straight at the salon. Well at the salon those marcel irons are HOTT 450F At least probably.

I know some folks say they can get their hair straight on lower levels...I guess it can depend on the iron. I know when I straighten my hair the next time..I will continue to use bomb heat protectants and turn the heat up on the flat iron 400F min.

ETA: This info above is only with your NEW GROWTH. Now on your relaxed hair...I would be on a low heat regimen roller sets etc..But, good advice to test a strand. And since you are straight you don't have to worry about the curl coming back.

Last edited:
I would start at 300, test it on a resistant section, and if you need to turn it up you can do so later. No need to start out really high, if you burn you hair you're done. So just start out low and work up. On my ng before a relaxer I don't go higher than 350, but that's my hair...If it's not hot enough, you can correct it. But I can't feel your hair to know for sure...Trial and error really is the best way to tell.

ETA: Oh, and how are you styling your hair before the flat iron? Rollerset? Blowdrying? Your starting point can effect how successful flat ironing the roots can be...

I'm mostly 4a, and I flat iron my NG at 370 degrees with a Solia. If I hold the hair tautly and pull the iron gently, but at an angle, my NG straightens with just one pass. I'd rather use a hotter setting and do one pass, then to do multiple passes.

(I roller set the relaxed part.)

I'm mostly 4a, and I flat iron my NG at 370 degrees with a Solia. If I hold the hair tautly and pull the iron gently, but at an angle, my NG straightens with just one pass. I'd rather use a hotter setting and do one pass, then to do multiple passes.

(I roller set the relaxed part.)

ITA with this post.

I do the same thing...However Im a 4a/b and I have a sedu.

Thank you, ladies. I tried flat ironing half way (200 degrees), but that mess just wasn't cutting it :nono:. I had to cut it up higher (300 degrees). It probably needed to be a bit higher than even that, but it turned out very good :yep:.

I would start at 300, test it on a resistant section, and if you need to turn it up you can do so later. No need to start out really high, if you burn you hair you're done. So just start out low and work up. On my ng before a relaxer I don't go higher than 350, but that's my hair...If it's not hot enough, you can correct it. But I can't feel your hair to know for sure...Trial and error really is the best way to tell.

ETA: Oh, and how are you styling your hair before the flat iron? Rollerset? Blowdrying? Your starting point can effect how successful flat ironing the roots can be...

I'm just going to wrap it and cover it with a silk scarf. I'm kinda new at this flat ironing thing so I guess I still have a lot to learn when it comes to maintaining the style.

I'm just going to wrap it and cover it with a silk scarf. I'm kinda new at this flat ironing thing so I guess I still have a lot to learn when it comes to maintaining the style.

No, sweetie, before you use the flat iron, not after. If I want my new growth really straight I [personally] have to blow dry with round brush or paddle brush and then flat iron. I wash just curious if you blow-dried, rollerset, airdried, etc before you used the flat iron.

No, sweetie, before you use the flat iron, not after. If I want my new growth really straight I [personally] have to blow dry with round brush or paddle brush and then flat iron. I wash just curious if you blow-dried, rollerset, airdried, etc before you used the flat iron.

Oh, lol. I got my roots about 80-85% straight by just flat ironing my damp hair (it was a wet/dry flat iron). I didn't rollerset or blow out my roots or anything. In the future I would like to try rollersetting and then pressing my roots.

Back