• My fingers.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters

AmyInAtl

I started off using a wide tooth large comb in the shower, now I just use my finger. Just wanted to poll and see what you ladies are doing.

A comb. I like wearing my nails long so they some times snag when I try to finger comb. I use a Scunci or Jilbere.

I dont use either. The water pressure of the shower head naturally detangles my hair, and while my hair is sopping wet, I am able to make one braid in the back..... that I ultimately moisturize and pin up. No combing required! :)

Not sure if this method would work for everyone. My hair is VERY fine/thin, and so detangling is not a big challenge.

I swear by my shower combs. I use a jumbo rake and the Mebco Detangler when I get to that tricky nape area. I do some preliminary detangling with my fingers to really work the condish through but the magic happens when the shower stream and comb do their thing. :cool:

I've given up using a comb in the shower and I just use my fingers now.

I use a wide toothed comb after I'm all done untangling in the shower with my fingers and I'm combing my leave in and avocado butter through.

I use my shower comb to detangle only when my hair is full of conditioner. I have fine hair also, so it doesn't take long at all. 1, 2, 3 and I'm done. Then I just let the water rinse through and either do Kini's method she mentioned above or leave it soaking wet and rollerset.

Both -first I use my fingers as much as I can, then I use a detangling comb during the last rinse.

I usually detagle my hair with a wide seamless comb prior to washing in the shower and then detangle again after rinsing out conditioner/ after final rinse.

I finger comb 99.9% of the time, last year I remember detangling my hair with a comb around May 06, this year I have used the comb once when preparing for an afro puff. Finger combing in the shower works for me!!

I use my shower comb, using my fingers just doesnt get all the shed hairs out like I need it to...but the shower comb does the trick!

For a while I was just using my fingers, but I found that did not get rid of all the shed hair and so ultimately caused more tangles and shedding. I use a seamless comb in the shower, directly under the shower spray. I usually saturate my hair with conditioner before I detangle.

KiniKakes said:
I dont use either. The water pressure of the shower head naturally detangles my hair, and while my hair is sopping wet, I am able to make one braid in the back..... that I ultimately moisturize and pin up. No combing required! :)

Not sure if this method would work for everyone. My hair is VERY fine/thin, and so detangling is not a big challenge.

Wow, hadn't thought of that, guess i just graduated to another level. Braiding while in the shower, then moisturize, thanks so much. Thin, fine hair here too, and iI am a fanatic about even loosing one string, lol.

I detangle in the shower with my Jilbere shower comb. I comb it with the pressure of the water running down on it and it's also loaded with conditioner.

That is probably the single best tip I have ever gotten from this board.

I use both, mainly my fingers when the NG is under control and not wrapping around itself. The water pressure really helps alot along w/the products I use, when I do use a comb I found that using my seamless comb is better than my Jilbere, but if I have alot of NG the Jilbere is best when trying to detangle the NG, I just try to follow what my hair is asking for at the time. I also keep my hair in 2 sec. for the entire process and since I don't manipulate my hair much during the few days inbtwn. poos it doesn't really tangle. I actually like to comb through my hair just to compare how many strands will shed this time, if any.

Last edited:
BrooklynSouth said:
Do you find you have more split ends using a brush when wet?

No, I haven't found myself having more split ends. I'm really careful when I brush through my hair when wet and it detangles like a dream.

I have given up on the brush completely,

I learnt I can smooth my hair when it's wet, and style it when it's wet, tie it down.

And smooth tresses.

I'll see how long I can do this for, until the new growth comes in more.

:lol:

Back