In tears- major hair loss

<font color="blue"> </font color>
Today I took out my hair from the cornrows I did with my own hair. I went to wash my hair without detangling it first because im use to my hair straightening out when it is wet. When I get out the shower, i spray on some Mane n tail detangler but come to find out I came even part my hair because my hair was so tangled, it looked like all my hair would fall out if i tried to come it. I went under the shower and let water run on my length and tried to detangle. After about 30mins, i was able to detangle it all but lost so much hair probaly 200-300strands that i cant stand to look at it. I'm losing so much thickness to my hair. Everytime Im on a good start to growing my hair, something happens to deter my progress. No wonder why my midback length hair isnt approaching waist length yet. help!!how to regain thickness?

I had crochet braids in 1997 so my hair was corn-rowed under it. It seemed that I lost alot of hair too. My hair seemed thin and fragile after I took them out and washed my hair. The next week though, I did a cholesterol treatment and believe it or not--my hair seemed to be back to normal. I think it just needs time to re-new and a good revival treatment for 30 min. to an hour. It will be okay sweetie /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Don't feel too bad. You probably had alot of shedding hair due to it being in cornrows(normal daily shedding that you would have had if you were combing daily). The next time try Fantasia IC Deep penetrating aloe/vitamin cream moisturizing conditioner.Use alot and let it penetrate with heat, before untangling your hair...then rinse. I love this. Although I don't really have a tangling problem. Someone on an old forum said she had a lot of success with this(even though she had to use alot if it...it was worth it).

are you relaxed or natural because that happened to me 3 years ago /images/graemlins/frown.gif Now when im coming out of braids and twists or i have any tangly mess in my hair i follow this method.

1. i undo braid/twists and apply a hot olive oil treatment to hair and scalp especially roots. the warm oil helps soften my hair. next i finger comb and part my hair in 4-6 sections and make a loose twist or braid in each section. The warm oil definitely helps detangle and helps the knots slip out. i leave for 1/2-1hr with a plastic cap and may apply more heat from drier.
2. when ready to shampoo let the warm water rinse in one direction keeping my hair still in 4-6 braids which helps reduce tangling while washing.
3. apply shampoo and with finger pads rub in downwards kind of zig zag pattern. finger combing as you go remembering to keep water flow and scrubbing in a downwards direction.
4. rinse, repeat, and apply conditioner and detangle with conditioner in hair with wide tooth comb in sections and retwist hair in 4 sections to reduce tangling. leave for recommended amout of time and rinse. add leave in and combthrough hair again with wide tooth comb and style.
I always do this and it eliminates tangles and hair loss especially when my hair is matted from certain styles. ive used other oils but warm olive oil works best for me.
anyway to regain your thickness try a protein treatments to build up the hair shaft and continue to moisturize and trim if uneven. dont worry your hair will thicken up again.

Hi Meinzzfuture,

I'm sorry to hear about your hair. A very good detangling conditioner is the Dark and Lovely Ultra Cholesteral conditioner. Maybe you just need to stay out of the braids and keep conditioning and setting your hair until it gets back in shape. I had a very difficult time over the sommer with braids and had to cut about 5 inches. I just took them out again this morning. I'm having a difficult time with braids too and is starting to come to a conclusion that maybe I just need to stop trying to put them in. Some people's hair thin out oppose to growing. It's like Mr. John says braids can pull hair up and out from the hair follical. May this is happening to you. Also, try some of that Aphogee Hair Treatment that might help. Babyblue and the other ladies gave good advice also.

My hair is relaxed. i didnt expect so much hair loss since i did the cornrows with my own hair and not hair extensions. i know it wasnt regular hair loss because of the way my hair was knotted after i washed it. It was like i had glue in my hair and I couldn't part it in any direction. Spending so lobg trying to remove the knots in my hair caused so much hair to fall out. next time I'll learn to detangle before I wash, especially after unbraiding my hair.

sorry you lost so much hair in the combout, meinzzfuture! even though it's traumatic now, i'm sure you'll recover. i've added B5 to my vitamin regime for thickness. it's only been a month, but it seems to be working. i'm feeling like my new growth is coming in thicker. you might try that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

it's probably accumulated hair that was lost. It isn't any thing to worry about. When you comb your hair everyday, you lose about 100 strands. Since you didn't comb your hair everyday, it seems like a lot. It's okay.
smile.gif

i agree with everyone else...its probably just normal shedding from the cornrows. when you lose hair if u r anything like me any amount seems like too much..be encouraged, i'm sure its not as bad as you think. just handle it with care and it'll be okay. also girl you are definitely close to waist length so dont ever think you are not...

Back