I’m thinking bout relaxing

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
So I’ve been natural since August 2009. 11 years. It has been fun, exciting, challenging, versatile and frustrating too. Just recently I went on vacation and my hair got wet in the tub. The bottom of my hair had curls and the top was straight. Once it dried all I could do was pull it in a bun.

I find myself leaning on protective styles (wigs) to avoid the time consuming wash days that only last a day or 2. I’ve been a straight hair natural since year 2. I rocked my twa and wash and gos the first year. Now my hair is too long/tangly for that.

I have a 4 pack under my sink so I can relax my edges every 6 months. I guess I’ll start with the edges and go from there. I like being natural, but unless I find a product that’ll keep my hair from reverting in 24 hours I’ll have to figure out something else.

thanks for listening to me vent/talk to myself :)

I think you should do whatever you want with your hair. As long as you are healthy, you can grow a new head of hair with time.

As a natural that swims all the time on vacation, I only need shampoo, conditioner and a mousse on vacation. Wash the chlorine out, detangle with conditioner, and bun with mousse. I’ll be back in the pool the next day, so I’m not trying to set myself up for a twist out or even my standard wash and go with gel.

If being relaxed makes you happier with your hair, I think you should do it.
Reversion is what keeps me from trying to be a straight hair natural. I gave up relaxers because I didn’t like having curly roots and the rest of my hair straight and I was too lazy to flat iron my roots after every workout.

I’m telling y’all, folks are falling off the natural ledge left and right. :lol:

I feel you though, op. During vacations is when I really get fed up. I hate having to get box braids every time. I tried just going natural once and it was a PITA.

Do what’s best for you, but don’t make any rash decisions like I have over and over. How does being a straight natural work for you on a regular basis? Do you really want to get a whole relaxer just to resolve a problem that only occurs a couple times a year?

If being relaxed makes you happier with your hair, I think you should do it.
Reversion is what keeps me from trying to be a straight hair natural. I gave up relaxers because I didn’t like having curly roots and the rest of my hair straight and I was too lazy to flat iron my roots after every workout.
Yes reversion is the devil. Keratin treatments worked, but they were so harsh on my eyes, hands and respiratory system. I switched to hair Botox. I’ve done 2 treatments. I’ll try to do them once a month as suggested on the website (prismax)

I watched a YouTube video with reversion tips and the number one thing was to start with healthy ends. She says if your ends are ragged and porous it can effect the whole strand (frizz). That makes sense to a degree. I haven’t had a trim since February so I’ll try that next.

Go ahead and do it.
I know you've always been a straight haired natural. Don't feel bad lol. Would you be open to looking into texture releasing products? Maybe that could be a middle ground and allow you to wear your hair straight more easily.

About a year ago I was giving extremely heavy thought to trying out one of texture releasing systems. I was just over having to twist my hair, having to always prep it to make it look nice. I knew I wanted to wear my hair in blown out styles that were straighter yet still fluffy.

Yes reversion is the devil. Keratin treatments worked, but they were so harsh on my eyes, hands and respiratory system. I switched to hair Botox. I’ve done 2 treatments. I’ll try to do them once a month as suggested on the website (prismax)
There are other Keratin treatments that don't have the formaldehydes which causes the fumes and eye irritation. Recently I tried Goldwell Kerasilk and it gave me very good results minus the fumes/irritation. I applied it in my bathroom with no windows, and It was so easy to use. It requires washing right away, so no need for 3 day waiting period as well.

Prismax is not really a Keratin treatment, more like a conditioning treatment which is why it doesn't last as long as a bkt.

Like others said, I would give it a week at least to think over it.

There are other Keratin treatments that don't have the formaldehydes which causes the fumes and eye irritation. Recently I tried Goldwell Kerasilk and it gave me very good results minus the fumes/irritation. I applied it in my bathroom with no windows, and It was so easy to use. It requires washing right away, so no need for 3 day waiting period as well.

Prismax is not really a Keratin treatment, more like a conditioning treatment which is why it doesn't last as long as a bkt.

Like others said, I would give it a week at least to think over it.
I did Goldwell today and went from 3c/4a to maybe 2b if not straighter. I think its a great option for someone who wants to relax. I did 2 passes on 400 and was hoping to slightly loosen my pattern and lose frizz. I'm not sure if it will revert though.

I did Goldwell today and went from 3c/4a to maybe 2b if not straighter. I think its a great option for someone who wants to relax. I did 2 passes on 400 and was hoping to slightly loosen my pattern and lose frizz. I'm not sure if it will revert though.
The loosening effect is temporary, and your hair will revert back after few washes (at least that's what happens to me). The biggest benefit from bkt in general is the frizz control from humidity. The added layer of keratin smooths the hair shaft and cuts down on frizz. So if you do a blow out or straighten the hair, it won't revert as fast.

Go ahead and do it.
I know you've always been a straight haired natural. Don't feel bad lol. Would you be open to looking into texture releasing products? Maybe that could be a middle ground and allow you to wear your hair straight more easily.
Yes I’m open to trying anything that’ll cut down frizz. My hair looks incredible for about an hour. Then slowly it starts growing into this fluff or zags (think kinky straight extensions). Once it starts reverting I lose the appearance of length. It’s just horrible. Do you have any recommendations?
I did Goldwell today and went from 3c/4a to maybe 2b if not straighter. I think its a great option for someone who wants to relax. I did 2 passes on 400 and was hoping to slightly loosen my pattern and lose frizz. I'm not sure if it will
Thanks for the review. I’ll check them out

Where can I purchase this? I did a google search and came to the website. I couldn’t find a place to purchase though. I even checked Amazon

What is gold well

I’m telling y’all, folks are falling off the natural ledge left and right. :lol:
It is such a shame that as innovative as we've become, the only way to achieve relaxed hair result is via harsh chemicals. You would think they'd be a better solution by now. And I bet they would be if the market were a lighter shade.

In any case, I never got on the natural band wagon; I am too lazy.

That’s a big difference. How will you feel if your hair doesn’t revert?
I would definitely be disappointed, but if it made retaining easier I’d be ok with it. I never wear my hair in a wash n go or braid out/twist out unless I blow dry first. My strands are fine and tangle so easily. My hair is very prone to ssk’s and split ends in its natural state so I blow dry weekly.

I was shocked by the loss of curl pattern. What would really upset me is if it starts breaking.

I think the beauty of our hair is that we have learned how to make it thrive either way, relaxed or natural. I myself have done both. The hair journey is fun both ways in my experience.

Maybe jotting down the pros and cons of each option and then making a decision from there would help you a bit.

I am going to go back up and read the suggestions of the other ladies.

Do what you think is best for you..
I was relaxed many years and I had no issues with it but decided to go natural for a couple of years, it just wasn't for me, so I went back to relaxing with no regrets.

I hate when naturals shame relaxers.. DO YOU

Do what you think is best for you..
I was relaxed many years and I had no issues with it but decided to go natural for a couple of years, it just wasn't for me, so I went back to relaxing with no regrets.

I hate when naturals shame relaxers.. DO YOU
Yes, people need to remember we don't all have the right tools nor the time to look after our hair naturally; we must equally remember that we all have different textured hair and scalp conditions, what may work for one person may not for another.

Back