I’m thinking bout relaxing

Yes I’m open to trying anything that’ll cut down frizz. My hair looks incredible for about an hour. Then slowly it starts growing into this fluff or zags (think kinky straight extensions). Once it starts reverting I lose the appearance of length. It’s just horrible. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks for the review. I’ll check them out
The only thing off hand I could think of is Design Essentials and Avlon makes a texture release. In fact, there's a few YouTubers that use the Avlon one. HappyStylishMommy uses the Design Essentials system and their products exclusively, her hair looks great all the time imo. It's always sleek and straight. However, I would go to a stylist because they use different ones for different reasons. I was advised to get a consultation when I called a salon. All this time I just assumed they were mostly the same (the keratin treatments) but they're not. Depends on how degree of straightness and your density.

The only thing off hand I could think of is Design Essentials and Avlon makes a texture release. In fact, there's a few YouTubers that use the Avlon one. HappyStylishMommy uses the Design Essentials system and their products exclusively, her hair looks great all the time imo. It's always sleek and straight. However, I would go to a stylist because they use different ones for different reasons. I was advised to get a consultation when I called a salon. All this time I just assumed they were mostly the same (the keratin treatments) but they're not. Depends on how degree of straightness and your density.
Sounds pricey. I have a stylist, but she mainly uses Kerastase and Kevin Murphy. I would probably have to buy the treatment and bring it to my appointment

The worst thing about relaxed hair to me is the smell when it gets wet. However, if you want to relax, why not. It's okay. You can always transition or just straight start over if you want. You can grow your hair back if you want it natural again
That tells me that you haven't washed it out properly, I've never had that smell I wash the hair about 5 times, using my own shampoo for final 2 two rinses

So I’ve been natural since August 2009. 11 years. It has been fun, exciting, challenging, versatile and frustrating too. Just recently I went on vacation and my hair got wet in the tub. The bottom of my hair had curls and the top was straight. Once it dried all I could do was pull it in a bun.

I find myself leaning on protective styles (wigs) to avoid the time consuming wash days that only last a day or 2. I’ve been a straight hair natural since year 2. I rocked my twa and wash and gos the first year. Now my hair is too long/tangly for that.

I have a 4 pack under my sink so I can relax my edges every 6 months. I guess I’ll start with the edges and go from there. I like being natural, but unless I find a product that’ll keep my hair from reverting in 24 hours I’ll have to figure out something else.

thanks for listening to me vent/talk to myself :)
Did you relax it or do something else?

Metty there is nothing wrong with having relaxed hair. I have had long, thick relaxed hair since the 90s with no problems. I haven't had a relaxer is 15 months, but I can guarantee that I will be relaxed again in the future. It's easier to maintain relaxed, straight hair without avoiding humidity, rain etc.

I personally know many relaxed older women such as my mom, grandma, older friends etc. that have always had relaxed hair, and they are healthy as ever. So I really don't care about that so called rumor of relaxer seeping into your body. For that matter, we all are going to die from the air we breathe, foods we eat, makeup, deodorants soaps, body products, etc. There are other things to worry about than a relaxer. Don't let that kind of talk discourage you.

Metty there is nothing wrong with having relaxed hair. I have had long, thick relaxed hair since the 90s with no problems. I haven't had a relaxer is 15 months, but I can guarantee that I will be relaxed again in the future. It's easier to maintain relaxed, straight hair without avoiding humidity, rain etc.

I personally know many relaxed older women such as my mom, grandma, older friends etc. that have always had relaxed hair, and they are healthy as ever. So I really don't care about that so called rumor of relaxer seeping into your body. For that matter, we all are going to die from the air we breathe, foods we eat, makeup, deodorants soaps, body products, etc. There are other things to worry about than a relaxer. Don't let that kind of talk discourage you.

Additionally, those reports included chemicals from coloring and bleaching, which many naturals do. So, I find it interesting that certain naturals online and IG only point to the relaxers.

Are you Long hair Jenny from Instagram? Hey girl hey

Your hair is beautiful! I could never stretch my relaxers like you. I had to get a retouch every 3 months or so or it was trouble.
Thanks girl. My hair is strange. I have fine, thin strands, but it can take a lot of heat for some reason. Heat styling helps me to do these long stretches. I just wish I could find a product to block all humidity so that it will stay straight in hot weather. I've tried so many with no success .

Thanks girl. My hair is strange. I have fine, thin strands, but it can take a lot of heat for some reason. Heat styling helps me to do these long stretches. I just wish I could find a product to block all humidity so that it will stay straight in hot weather. I've tried so many with no success .
I’m a straight hair natural and my conair blow dry brush could help me stretch now. I really just need these edges under control. My fine/coarse 4b combination hair is a hot mess. It beads up and is so short in the front. Nothing lays it down. Nothing. My nape is just as disrespectful lol. Hair Botox treatments have been my saving grace lately.

The Revlon dryer is the truth I swear. That was well worth the 30 dollars I paid for it! I have zero advice about the edges. Mines are always frizzy and I don't mess with them. I told my mother that I might just relax the edges if I continue with this no relaxer journey. So the next time I'm relaxing her hair, I might just rub some relaxer on mines as well.

Back