I'm So Unhappy. First Flat Ironing was a bust

Lisa23

I\'m So Unhappy. First Flat Ironing was a bust

Hi All,

Well my first attempt at flat ironing was a disaster! My hair got straight but not at the roots, no matter how close I got. I got the Chi and it got really hot but I just couldn’t get those roots. I used so much heat on my hair yesterday that I don’t think I will ever attempt this again. I had to use a pressing comb on the roots and a blow dryer to try and get it into a bun. I think I flat ironed it 5 TIMES. Hair was all over the place
frown.gif
It doesn’t feel like it does when I get it done at the salon. I’m just so mad. I can’t handle my natural hair. I told my sister this morning to get out the gloves because I might be going back to my relaxer. I don’t want to do that, but I simply can’t afford to go to the salon every two weeks and I so wanted to start washing once a week…………I know I just need to practice with the thing but tell me somebody, anybody how do you get your roots straight? I used ION spray as a heat protectant and liked it, but maybe I need something like a pressing crème. HELPPPPPPPP!!!! Thank you for listening.

3/c, shoulder length, natural, straight 100% of the time.

Re: I\'m So Unhappy. First Flat Ironing was a bust

Yeah I wonder how to get the roots also when flat ironing and how big of a section should u flat iron?

PRACTICE AND PATIENCE!!!! If you don't want a relaxer, don't get one! However, just like those folks in the salon probably didn't get it after one try, you didn't either. Practice and be patient. You can't learn and do everything the first sweetie. It takes 2,3,4 times for some of us. Also, please take into account, that your products may have had something to do with it.

Getting your roots straight using a flat iron requires that you flat iron smaller sections of hair at a time. If the section you used didn't get straight, make it smaller.

What exactly were you trying to accomplish? A certain style? Just getting straight hair? what?

The only thing I wanted to accomplish was straight hair that I could put into a bun. The roots were so poofy it couldn't be done without adding the extra heat.

I flat ironed yesterday. I conditioner-washed my hair. Braided like 12 braids. Dried overnight and took long thin sections 1cm x 3inches. The only products I used were the detangler after I washed and some Breakthru heat protection styling foam. I have a large barrel ceramic curling iron. I used it on the 25 setting out of 30. I combed each section then brushed it a bit to make sure I didnt have knots in my hair. Came out looking like a press and curl.Hope this helps

I agree with Patience. One other suggestion I would like to make (and it will also require practice) is to rollerset your hair prior to flat ironing it. This will stretch your hair out and then hopefully you will not have to apply as much heat to your hair.

If you practice enough, a rollerset may help you accmplish your bun style without any heat at all.

Good Luck
smile.gif

My thinking is that your heat protectant was probably just that: to protect your hair but not really aid in smoothing or straightening it. Being that you're natural or transitioning, you may need something heavier like a heavier serum (Kercare) or pressing creme like you suspected. Ultra Sheen makes a nice one. I hear thatDudley's hs a nice one, too. Also, if you have curlers, you can use the side of the curler to smooth your new growth instead of pressing.
HTH

I use a product by Paul Mitchell called Super Skinny. It relaxes the natural curl pattern of the hair. While my hair is relaxed, I still have the roots with which to contend at touch up time. Using this product has helped me to achieve much straigher hair at the roots when I flatiron, and when I blow dry with a comb attachment as well.

Just before I flat iron, I apply some oil sheen. It helps the press to be even silkier.

BTW: I have type 4B hair.

northernbelle

Try again, but wait a few weeks and treat your hair to some deep moisture conditioning in the meantime.
smile.gif

Patience is right, you gotta be patient and practice.
You wear your hair straight all of the time?

Back