I'm seriously considering transitioning

Tene

I have actually been debating since last year about transitioning and going natural. This time around I might really do it. I'm getting so tired of relaxed hair and having to do so much to keep it healthy. My hair was fine up until my last relaxer I got. I don't know what happened with my hair. I used the new formula of life and body and my friend left it in a few minutes longer cause she said that's what it said on the container. I also had a lot of shedding before and after the relaxer. I had quite a bit of hair come out after the relaxer and ever since my hair has looked thin. It also look like I lost volume and a little length. Another thing is I have broken strands from her using that blowdryer on my head. I am just so sad and dissatified with my hair now. It was doing fine one mintue and the next minute this. Also my growth is at a snail's pace now. Before it was growing like crazy, now I'm at 6 weeks and barely feel any new growth and I'm even using surge. I know I have been going through stress and have had some 1 or 2 anxiety attacks. I just honestly feel like taking scissors and cutting all of my hair off. I don't know if it was the relaxer or stress. But I've been going through stress on and off in my life and I've never had this problem. I wanna believe it was the relaxer. I get my hair braided tomorrow in cornrows so I plan on keeping braids in my hair. I'll get them redone every two weeks. The only problem I have is I don't know how to do twists or any of those other styles.

Last edited:
Well, I'm biased but going natural sounds like a great idea to me. But if it's just a matter of damage you may want to try some extra conditioning and moisture to see if that calms the breakage. For me personally, my hair just didn't like relaxers- I didn't fully appreciate this fact until I grew it out (in braids the whole time) and noticed how much fuller it is. As far as styling there are plenty of threads on various natural styles here. You could also do some fotki album hopping.

Tene said:
I have actually been debating since last year about transitioning and going natural. This time around I might really do it. I'm getting so tired of relaxed hair and having to do so much to keep it healthy. My hair was fine up until my last relaxer I got. I don't know what happened with my hair. I used the new formula of life and body and my friend left it in a few minutes longer cause she said that's what it said on the container. I also had a lot of shedding before and after the relaxer. I had quite a bit of hair come out after the relaxer and ever since my hair has looked thin. It also look like I lost volume and a little length. Another thing is I have broken strands from her using that blowdryer on my head. I am just so sad and dissatified with my hair now. It was doing fine one mintue and the next minute this. Also my growth is at a snail's pace now. Before it was growing like crazy, now I'm at 6 weeks and barely feel any new growth and I'm even using surge. I know I have been going through stress and have had some 1 or 2 anxiety attacks. I just honestly feel like taking scissors and cutting all of my hair off. I don't know if it was the relaxer or stress. But I've been going through stress on and off in my life and I've never had this problem. I wanna believe it was the relaxer. I get my hair braided tomorrow in cornrows so I plan on keeping braids in my hair. I'll get them redone every two weeks. The only problem I have is I don't know how to do twists or any of those other styles.

Sorry about your hair woes....Many of these reasons is why I decided to transition. My relaxed hair just wouldn't act right. I had been through that stress thing, where my hair fell out at my temples. Then there was a time where a patch just fell out at my nape.

Your problems may or may not be the relaxer....however, the decision is totally up to you. If you have given it all you've got as far as taking care of you relaxed hair and are sick and tired of relaxers then going natural is the way to go for you...the styles grow as you hair grows out. I wouldn't worry too much about styles right now...there are so many out there that only require one or two steps.....I agree with Kristine, you can fotki hop and view style after style and some even come with instructions...:lol:....importantly, practice makes perfect..so find style you like and practice it.

Tene, don't underestimate the powers of stress! When my hair broke off and fell out when I first moved to New York, I thought it was bad relaxers and improper treatment but I now believe it was due to the anxiety and strees I was going through. When you are dealing with stress, sometimes it is best not to put relaxers on your hair. Just like it is best not to relax during your menstal cycle because your hormone levels. Also, less combing and manipulation is advised during those times, don't forget lots of conditioning.
It is importatnt to overall health to find techniques to deal with stress, whether is it seeing a therapist or meditating because stress can lead to sickness as well. Hope you are doing better now :)

Come to the naturally enlightened side. My relaxed hair was healthy. I was not satisfied (sp) with the lenght. I loved the way my hair felt before a relaxer. I am fully natural now and loving it. Being natural is a state of mind. There is no use going natural in hopes that your hair would look like someone else. I would weigh the decision to go natural very carefully. It takes a lot of TLC.

I learned how to do twists. I got tired of spending $65 to get it done. I do a pretty darn good job.

im transitioning to natural as we speak my last relaxer was in september of this year...my reason for transitioning was that when was gettin my hair relaxed i would be able to grow my hair out to a long length..and then due to the dryness of the perm it would break..and feel dry..despite my efforts to constantly moisturize my hair. im three months past my relaxer and im going to get in kinky twists today..to transition throughout next year i plan to transition for a year
so i think my big chop will be in sept or oct of next year...so wish me luck lady and those also transitioning..we gotta hang in there...:)

Back