I'M SCURRED!!!

soslychic

I\'M SCURRED!!!

I posted this same question on another thread, but noone seemed to answer.
I don't know if I'll be able to make a transition without pressing my hair, but now I'm scared that some portions are gonna stay straight. I ignored it for awhile because I thought that this had just happened to a few people and that they had used a hot comb instead of a flat iron (which I wasn't gonna do) but now I see that this is happening to all sorts of people. Do you think it has anything to do with the temperature in which the hair is heat styled. I'm gonna try to use the lowest heat setting possible, but even when my hair is all natural, I wanna be able to press it and have it go back to it's original state. To just how many people has this happened to. Are their naturals who press their hair regularly (meaning once every 2 weeks or so) with no problem or is this something that is always gonna happen? Does anyone have any more info on the beer thing?

Re: I\'M SCURRED!!!

frown.gif

Okay I'll bite! Can I suggest instead of pressing why not try wet sets or rod setting your hair. I've been natural about 8 years. If there's anything I regretted during that time was letting my aunt use a professional curling iron on my hair. She went berserk using way too much heat and trashed my hair completely. There were stringy ends in some sections. I had to cut off the damaged pieces. But never again will I allow ANYONE to press out my hair. I did purchase a Jilbere flat iron; which is WAY better than a pressing comb or curling iron. But I only use it about 3x a year. Get a flat iron and/or magnetic rollers and keep practicing. Practice makes perfect. I hope my little words helped you some.

I got my hair professionally pressed during my transition period. (See my photos) I don't recommend my method of transition to anyone unless done by a professional who knows what they are doing. Anyway, I didn't have problems with my hair reverting back, but I did notice that I started retaining more growth once I gave up heat. I haven't pressed my hair since June 2001. Don't be scurred! Here's a ))HUG((!!
Feel free to PM me anytime if you are still frustrated.
Take care!

Aw you guys are a big help. Thanks for the hug maestra!
smile.gif

clover, are you one of those who have had success with rollersetting your natural hair? That intrigues me because I could still have straight hair without direct heat, but it seems just about impossible when I seriously take a look at my hair that I could ever smooth it against a rollerset sufficiently so that it turned out straight, or straight enough to that I could just run over it with a flat iron. If you do rollerset your natural hair please tell me how you do it. Or were you just talking about while I was transitioning? Also, you say that a jilbere flat iron is much better than a hot or curling iron. That is what I was planning on using. Do you think that I would still have the same problem with hair strands staying straight?

Yes, I'm natural and my hair is very curly. Before rolling I section my hair off and pin the sections into place. Then I proceed to saturate a section of hair completely (I'm always mixing stuff up. I use a combo of water, liquid leave in, Nexxus Humectress, sweet almond oil as a setting lotion). I use a rattail comb to make parts. I roll the wet sections flat against the roller and pin into place (even easier, just use the caps that come with the rollers). After rolling my entire head I tie a mesh scarf on to keep the rollers in place. I use a hood dryer for about 45 min.

I will be honest with you on one point: I don't rollerset to get my hair straight. I rollerset because it's just healthier for my hair. But it is a great option if you want to get away from heat damage. I wear my hair pinned up all the time so having it come out straight doesn't affect me either way.

I only speak from experience with the flat iron. There's no guarantee that using a flat iron won't cause damage. I don't flat iron to get my hair stick straight. What I do notice with the flat iron is that the heat can be controlled. You shouldn't be pressing your hair out to the point where the strands are damaged. Any direct heat, whether by curling iron, pressing comb or flat iron, can break down the bonds in your hair if used incorrectly.

Since you're transitioning just go eeeeaaasssy on the heat. Your natural hair that you have coming in should be treated with lots of extra tlc. BTW, I never 'transitioned', I just went to the barber and had my relaxed ends clipped off.

Clover,

Why is it better to use a flat iron vs. a curling iron to straighten hair? Personally, I am more skilled at using a curling iron and feel more comfortable using a curling iron instead of a flat iron. Even when I was relaxed, I was always weary of stylists who wanted to flat iron my hair after blowdrying it and before curling it.

I am planning to buy a ceramic curling iron in the next couple of weeks - isn't that as good as using a ceramic flat iron? It does have variable heat settings.

I don't plan on using it a lot - maybe every 2-3 months...and when I go home for Christmas - b/c if my hair isn't straight, I know I'll get grief from my family.
ohwell.gif

I also wanted to add that both my mom and sister are natural and they get their hair blowdried and curled regularly by Egyptian stylists. I'd say they go on average every 2 weeks. Their hair still curls in its natural state and it's not damaged but in fact very healthy. My mother also has color and my sister has highlighted and still retained healthy hair. So, I do believe it's possible to wear straight hair while natural especially if you know how to care for your hair or know someone you can trust.

Hairlove, I do believe that some women can use direct heat with no damage to their natural hair (as you stated your mom and sister). But I am not one of those women. My hair is extremely fine. Even if I found someone I trusted I would still only end up doing my hair myself. I only trust myself to judge how much heat should be used. That's just me though. That one experience with my aunt was enough to convince me.
I rarely use my ceramic flat iron. If you're going to purchase a ceramic curling iron by all means go ahead. I only stated my opinion as a matter of preference. I prefer a ceramic iron over a pressing comb/regular curling iron because it doesn't give off that repulsive burnt hair smell. If you feel more comfortable with a cer curling iron don't let my opinions on flat irons steer you away. I will reiterate; it's all a matter of preference.
Hope I was clear.

Back