i'm going to make an online dating profile for my mom. without her permission.

LOL! :lol:

I love this thread!

Truthfully, I have thought about making my mom an online dating profile too! She's 61, widowed, and hasn't dated for 8 years. I asked her in the past if I could create her a profile and help her find someone, but she told me hell no. I really think I could help her out! I know she's lonely even if she won't admit it. She went on her first date in 8 years earlier this year, with a 65 year old man who owns the repair company contracted to her apartment complex. She called me afterward SO GIDDY. I will never forget how cute she sounded, like a teen girl after her first date. They went out a few more times, but apparently my mom has decided she doesn't like him because 1) she says he's too boring for her 2) he's not big on kids and my mom loves her kids and grandkids

So yeah......I can relate to this thread.......maybe I will just go ahead and create her a profile too. I know she'd be PISSED, though :lol:

question for all the ladies who would be mad if their kids did this to them: would you be annoyed, or offended, or actually straight up really mad? i think my mom is going to be uncomfortable with this initially but i am feeling like once she realises she has some options for meeting men she is going to come around. my mom has literally not had a man in her life for years. she has not gone on a date in i cant remember. so i am thinking/hoping in the end she will be excited.

but i think i am probably missing or unable to see some other perspective at work here. can you guys elaborate on the angry response?

Maybe your mom is truly not interested in dating? Her picture is online without her permission or even knowing it is out there. What if she meets a nut who wreaks havoc on her life or her heart? This could go sideways in so many ways. Or it could go well. But if I were me, I would be upset that my child took it upon herself to put me out there like that without talking to me first. The internet is scary to a lot of older people.

i know for a fact my mom would like to have a man in her life. she talks about it regularly.

the one thing that did give me pause was the idea that someone she knew would see her photo and tell her about it before i had the chance, but i decided to risk it.

i think she may not like it initially but i dont think she's going to not like it enough to not even look at the outcome. shes at least going to be a little curious about the men. i am having a hard time seeing her as being truly upset by this. she used to talk to strangers in the chatrooms for some stupid flash based game site she used to play on :lol: she had her phase where she didnt get why everybody was on the internet, but more recently she had a phase where she used to spend a whole lot of time on it. the reason why she doesnt anymore is because her laptop is broken.

i think the main thing is that she might feel embarrassed. i am going to break the news to her extremely gravely, and then not show her the profile if she doesn't like the idea of it. im going to break the news to her like somebody stole all of her life savings and so she would be understandably upset :lol: im not going to make it into a jokey "everybody does it" sort of thing because she's not going to be able to relate to their perspective. im going to tell her it was a very serious issue and we (erm... i) wanted to take it seriously and its just like using a matchmaker service. probably somebody on some stupid reality show she likes has done that. i am really going to make an effort to sell her on the reasonableness of taking this option for meeting new people and how it isnt any kind of committment on the rest of her life.

i know for a fact my mom would like to have a man in her life. she talks about it regularly. the one thing that did give me pause was the idea that someone she knew would see her photo and tell her about it before i had the chance, but i decided to risk it.

I thought about that too ... Someone who knows her might see it. Hopefully things work out though. I wish I had been able to help my mom meet someone. It's hard to watch our moms go years without a date or a companion.

i mean if she gets mad then she gets mad, but its not to late for her to find somebody and i want to give her the option. there are people out there who dont give up and who feel like they deserve love. if she is not interested in exploring that, then at least i tried, and thats worth it to me.

Ok ok so when are you gonna tell her? After you have a certain number of prospects? How many?

looking for the delicate balance between having a variety of options (>5) + not having to spend too much time of me actually talking to them

question for all the ladies who would be mad if their kids did this to them: would you be annoyed, or offended, or actually straight up really mad? i think my mom is going to be uncomfortable with this initially but i am feeling like once she realises she has some options for meeting men she is going to come around. my mom has literally not had a man in her life for years. she has not gone on a date in i cant remember. so i am thinking/hoping in the end she will be excited.

but i think i am probably missing or unable to see some other perspective at work here. can you guys elaborate on the angry response?

I would not be mad or angry. Just kind of embarassed and annoyed :look: for the most part. My child feeling the need to find me a date would probably make me feel sad....and my son knows I am against posting pictures on the internet.

Last edited:
did this for my aunt who is in her 50's..and all went well....

hoping the same works out in this situation:yep:

question for all the ladies who would be mad if their kids did this to them: would you be annoyed, or offended, or actually straight up really mad? i think my mom is going to be uncomfortable with this initially but i am feeling like once she realises she has some options for meeting men she is going to come around. my mom has literally not had a man in her life for years. she has not gone on a date in i cant remember. so i am thinking/hoping in the end she will be excited. but i think i am probably missing or unable to see some other perspective at work here. can you guys elaborate on the angry response?

My aunt is 66 and refuses to date. She hasn't been with anyone since her husband died 17 years ago. She sees men as needy and will take away her precious time. So to her a man is a burden LOL she likes her freedom. Couldn't be me! If I did this she would probably tell me to take a hike and would refuse to go on the date. Hopefully your mom will go ahead and enjoy herself.

I treated John like I treat people that write me long ish like that. I kept it movin. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I wouldn't have her pic on the net without her permission. Houston has 4million people I have run into 4-5 people that I recognized from their online profile pictures. It isn't safe and I would be pissed. Not annoyed pissed. That is her choice to make.

That being said what did you write in her profile.

Honestly, I would be:

- Offended that my kid believes my life to be so incomplete, and so jacked up, that she must step in to fix it/reshape it.

- Embarrassed that my kid has resorted to revealing aspects of my life online for strangers to oogle and analyze for the sole purpose of snagging my seemingly desperate behind a man on an online dating website (which many "older people" still view with a jaundiced eye as being tools for the thirsty, hard up and/or depraved, e.g., early Gen X'ers and above).

- Hurt by all of the above, in addition to the fact that it was done behind my back and without my permission or input.

For me, the fact that my personal affairs were bared online without my consent would be the most bothersome, and most egregious, aspects of the entire situation. Still, I hope all of your endeavors on your Mom's behalf turn out well.

question for all the ladies who would be mad if their kids did this to them: would you be annoyed, or offended, or actually straight up really mad? i think my mom is going to be uncomfortable with this initially but i am feeling like once she realises she has some options for meeting men she is going to come around. my mom has literally not had a man in her life for years. she has not gone on a date in i cant remember. so i am thinking/hoping in the end she will be excited. but i think i am probably missing or unable to see some other perspective at work here. can you guys elaborate on the angry response?

You know your mom so it depends on her personality. Twere me I would be livid. I would interpret it as a very controlling, manipulative act and probably would refuse to meet anyone you found just because it was not posted with my consent. But that's not everybody.

Last edited:
You know you're mom so it depends on her personality. Twere me I would be livid. I would interpret it as a very controlling, manipulative act and probably would refuse to meet anyone you found just because it was not posted with my consent. But that's not everybody.
:lachen: im not saying you are so please dont take it that way but my mom is not that far up her own ***.

she'll be alright. if she gets mad she wont be mad forever.

:lachen: im not saying you are so please dont take it that way but my mom is not that far up her own ***. she'll be alright. if she gets mad she wont be mad forever.

Mkay... But why do this behind her back? Why not just be upfront with her about it and the offer to help her with writing a profile and screening men?

I want this to go well for your mom. The ignorant part of me wants you to also end up an episode of Catfish :look:

The only issue I would have is the photo. But, at the same time, its so cute that I think I'd get over it.

i know there are a lot of messages i need to check but honestly im a little bored with it already :lol: i can barely manage to reply to my own messages.

lets see what we have here...

Hello, how are you doing? From you photo is is easy to see you are a sweet delightful looking woman. I'm sure many venture to get your attention based on what they see. I must admit I have a strong feeling there is a much greater treasure within. From the look in your eyes I imagine there is a loving heart withing wanting to let go with someone who gives you the respect and consideration you deserve. I know I would have regretted not expressing my appreciation for the woman I believe is within.

copy and paste message... garbage. plus his username includes "master p" :lol:

Hello Happy, my name is Daniel and I too am a Lover of animals. Can we talk??

i aint even mention no damn animals

You ready for a real man to come into your life and put a smile not only on that lovely face , but deep inside your heart?

2dp1bxljqg5tmrxluopb31se3492498260.2.jpg

:look: nah son

BUT... did get a message from a 49 year old that is not bad on the eyes.

onto okcupid... dude was looking kinda good but...

Hey how are u ..I'm .... I'm from ..... ..I'm 32 years old very cool funny layback and very out going ..easy to get a long with .. I love to have fun .go out and have a good time with out the drama ...I am a freak that's looking for a good friend with out the one night stand ..and with out the drama bs and games ...I do drive ..work ..and have a lil girl that's 17..so in my case in looking for me a good friend and a cool layback buddy like me ...and yes I am a very good looking man too...so look at my pics..or send me a number too ok ..and sorry to be rude but I'm a breast man.... Lol .... Just keeping it real .. Can't help myself sometimes lol ...so now that u know me a lil bit ..so now let's talk and see what's happens so I love what I see too just to let u know ...hope to talk to u...and get to know u ... Because I do need me a good friend .....

why you hitting on my nearly 60 year old mama with this nasty mess?!?! :spank:

i hadnt logged into the okcupid since the last time i updated this thread, there were three messages from profiles that have since deleted :lol:

Hey how are u ..I'm .... I'm from ..... ..I'm 32 years old very cool funny layback and very out going ..easy to get a long with .. I love to have fun .go out and have a good time with out the drama ...I am a freak that's looking for a good friend with out the one night stand..and with out the drama bs and games ...I do drive ..work ..and have a lil girl that's 17..so in my case in looking for me a good friend and a cool layback buddy like me ...and yes I am a very good looking man too...so look at my pics..or send me a number too ok ..and sorry to be rude but I'm a breast man.... Lol .... Just keeping it real .. Can't help myself sometimes lol ...so now that u know me a lil bit ..so now let's talk and see what's happens so I love what I see too just to let u know ...hope to talk to u...and get to know u ... Because I do need me a good friend .....

I don't think I've ever felt the need to use the term sleezeball until now. :perplexed

Back