Im going to grow it like a man...

Crissi

Ive decided to keep my hair natural, and i noticed my hair grows best when I keep
it braided, moisturized and do absolutely jack, not even re-do it that much i just wear headscarves and what not (haha i got one to match every colour combo i wear):grin: and to be honest i don't need to wash it that much at all probably every 2-4 weeks. And it will grow like crazy, so can you ladies please reccomend a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner for natural 4a/b hair, and a leave in/moisturizer, i currently use african royale hair dr, which i think is great, m hair is the most moist when using this, however if theres anything you ladies can reccomend that is better i'd really appreciate it.

Thanx In Advance

Crissi, X

I like Cream of Nature Shampoo when I actually use shampoo ( I do the no-poo method) Its doesnt dry my air out at all and it smells good too!

I secod Cream of Nature... I'm transitioning and it works really well for both my natural and relaxed hair...

Oh, and I LOVE your topic title. It's so funny how guys just decide to grow their hair out one day and put in NO effort, get the girl up the road to braid it up, barely wash it... and it's longer and healthier than a lot of females! Of course they don't usually mess with all kinds chemicals or heat too...

Love the title of this thread! :p I feel you too. These brothers who let their hair grow have absolutely gorgeous thick and lusterous hair, don't they?

You may wwant to do CW more often then shampoo 1 a month, that way you hair will get enough moisture.

i actually use Saloncare Shampoos and conditioners from Sally's beauty supply. I also like their Curecare hair and skin conditioner. Another fave liquid castille soap(www.thechemistrystore.com) - the gentlest, natural shampoo that i have ever used.

you know- you are so right. I find that my grows so much thicker and longer when I don't even pay attention to it. It grows alot especially when my hair is microbraided and left alone just moisturized every once in awhile..

I like the topic of this thread, and I really feel you. :)

Creme of Nature is excellent in my personal opinion and I think that you will like it as well.

Your hair is going to grow really well. The "leave it alone" method is amazing, more people should try it. They would notice a big difference.

I'd recommend washing your hair more often though.

Lucia said:
You may wwant to do CW more often then shampoo 1 a month, that way you hair will get enough moisture.

I think it will open up the pores in your scalp so your hair will be able to grow.(This is why the sulfur in MTG allows for growth because it cleans the scalp). At least once every week and a half.

Ok you lot are right, i should wash it a bit more, maybe once every 10 days?. And when you say creme of nature do mean the shampoo and the conditioner? which ones because i know they have many types of shampoo, and i haven't paid any mind to the conditioner. Can anyone reccomend any leave ins? or oils?, no grease my hair hates grease

Crissi said:
Ok you lot are right, i should wash it a bit more, maybe once every 10 days?. And when you say creme of nature do mean the shampoo and the conditioner? which ones because i know they have many types of shampoo, and i haven't paid any mind to the conditioner. Can anyone reccomend any leave ins? or oils?, no grease my hair hates grease
My fav oils are Coconut oil, jojoba oil and olive oil. I read in other natural fotki albums that African Royale Daily doctor is a good leave in.

Cinnabuns said:
I like the topic of this thread, and I really feel you. :)

Creme of Nature is excellent in my personal opinion and I think that you will like it as well.

OT: But have any of you used the Detangling CON?? I have an issue with hair getting really tangled....

den1 said:
My fav oils are Coconut oil, jojoba oil and olive oil. I read in other natural fotki albums that African Royale Daily doctor is a good leave in.

Ok I think I will stick to the African Royale, I wouldn't mind using those oils onm scalp

I went on a twist challenge. I decided to wear my hair in twists majority of the time as a protective style. My hair is growing really fast. I also wash it often. I do shampoo washes at least once a week or when I have many twists, once every two weeks. Men don't color their hair and do lot of manipulation. I decided to grow my hair like a man too which lead me to going natural in the first place.

I use Elucence Moisturing Shampoo. I think they have the best shampoos.

Country gal said:
I went on a twist challenge. I decided to wear my hair in twists majority of the time as a protective style. My hair is growing really fast. I also wash it often. I do shampoo washes at least once a week or when I have many twists, once every two weeks. Men don't color their hair and do lot of manipulation. I decided to grow my hair like a man too which lead me to going natural in the first place.

I use Elucence Moisturing Shampoo. I think they have the best shampoos.

how are there conditioners?

I'm totally feelin this thread too. I am over 16 months into my transition and my signature style are curly twists that I wrap around perm rods nightly for a Lauryn Hill look. It takes 3 hours to do, but I keep them in for 12 days, wear a fly twistout for 2 days and then wash. My hair has grown faster than any pill or hair potion that I have ever tried. Low maintenance is truly the key!

Crissi said:
how are there conditioners?

The Elucence Moisture Balance conditioner is excellent! I particularly like it as a leave in but it works great both ways, leave-in/rinse out. Their products will be staples for life.

MizAvalon said:
Your hair is going to grow really well. The "leave it alone" method is amazing, more people should try it. They would notice a big difference.
Ain't that the truth. That's all I've been doing for the past few years and my hair is thanking me for it. :yep:

I'm over a year post relaxer and my hair isn't a fan of shampoos...dries it right out. I use it every now and then but prefer to CW. I use DDTA (which was discontinued), JASON Sea Kelp Conditioner (pretty good stuff! :D), and I'm giving Elucence another try. Elucence was IT at the beginning of my transition, but after a while I wasn't so crazy about it.

I also use these conditioners for my leave in, my hair loves it. While in kinky twists, I mixed up water, conditioner, ORS Replenishing Pak (for the protein and extra moisture), and glycerin for a daily spray. I've been neglecting it for the past week, but this spray works well for me.

Right now I'm trying out some different conditioners here and there...still plan to try Tresseme and Aussie. I'm also trying out the ORS Olive Oil hairdress because water and conditioner is not going to work with all styles I plan to wear because of reversion. My favorite oils to use are coconut and carrot, coconut being my absolute favorite. I have avocado butter, verdict still out.

Good luck!

MizAvalon said:

I'd recommend washing your hair more often though.

LOL! "Leave it alone" is the only way to go and guys hair take off when they braid it because = zero maintenance. My hair grows like weeds the less I mess with it - almost doesn't seem to matter what products I use, so long I clean/moisturize periodically and let it be. I've even contemplated extending my wash period from once a week to once every 2 weeks but I like clean fresh hair and it starts itching after 1 week so I always break down and wash, but I would go longer if I could just on the "leave it alone factor" and out of sheer laziness. . .

It's really ironic and kinda funny though 'cause once Crissi announced that she would *grow it like man* advice poured in re: products, methods, washing, etc. . .

Most guys I know with fast growth wash their hair daily and use simple products like a hairdress or whatever they grab first.

My only experience is with my cousin -- I put cornrows in his natural hair, no extensions, about once every 3 weeks and according to him, he doesn't put anything on in between, no oil, no grease, no moisture, nothing AND he doesn't 'poo until he takes it down to rebraid because the braids won't hold with frequent washing and no way I'm braiding it more often - he already complains about the *expensive* bottle of australian shiriaz he MUST bring as payment. . .

His hair is awesome, but he's the only one I know intimately enough to speak for . . .

Crissi said:
Ive decided to keep my hair natural, and i noticed my hair grows best when I keep
it braided, moisturized and do absolutely jack, not even re-do it that much i just wear headscarves and what not (haha i got one to match every colour combo i wear):grin: and to be honest i don't need to wash it that much at all probably every 2-4 weeks. And it will grow like crazy, so can you ladies please reccomend a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner for natural 4a/b hair, and a leave in/moisturizer, i currently use african royale hair dr, which i think is great, m hair is the most moist when using this, however if theres anything you ladies can reccomend that is better i'd really appreciate it.

Thanx In Advance

Crissi, X
Hey Crissi! This is EXACTLY what I'm doing with my hair! Instead of braids, I'm doing two-strand twists. I too have decided to just wash every 2-4 weeks depending on how long my twists stay looking nice. Here is what I use:
Shampoo: Creme of Nature (red & white bottle)
Conditioner: LeKair Cholesterol Plus (orange color cream)
Blue Magic Coconut Oil grease <-- I only use this once for when I twist my hair
Soft & Beautiful oil sheen spray <-- use throughout the week

I do not rinse my twists nor do I use any liquid moisturizer because it will make my hair fuzzy or make it shrink up or feel dry later on. At night, I don't put anything on my hair, no scarf, no bonnet, and my hair still looks nice... no shrinkage, no fuzziness, & no smashed hair

Best wishes to you as you 'grow your hair out like a man'! I'm in there with you! :grin:

ahhahah thats really the best concept i used to leave it alone too but on top of the cornrows put lotta stuff to grow it faster:grin: when i think about it my husband hair in just like 2-3 years grew a lot and i m the one doing his hair we wash once a week and he keeps his braids one week wash and i redo them. We just put hollywood castor grease on his hair to do the 6 braids thats it and i do put some of my gueye or the wgo to detangle. He uses cream of nature poo. and vo5 cond. he always tells me that his hair grows best when its dirty sometimes he does not wash it for 2 weeks but we try to wash at least once a week. he s now midback his hair grows fast left alone. each time i m doing my stuff on my hair, he be saying to me just leave the hair alone that s how my hair grows:lachen: :grin: :lol: but then he wants my oils on his hair to smell good ahhaha or stop the itching.

Thanx ladies, I'm going to have to mix and match, I will most def be using CON, I still haven't figured out what leave in, I may use grease lol. That's all, all the men I know use, especially the infamous dance, or some of that la india *shrugs*

Its nice to see I'm not the only one taking to lazy root

LOL @ the title. But I agree with your approach. I am a style and product minimalist when it comes to my hair. Less truely is more. ;)

Back