I'm going natural...it's gonna be a rough journey

angelbaby

But I WILL do it.

Let me start at the beginning. A few years ago I started using the AFFIRM RELAXER. My hair started coming out as I ran my hand through it at work. I was devastated. I had to cut my hair off to my ears and I had never had short hair before so I couldn't get use to the way it looked. I decided to get braids and in a year my hair grew to shoulder length. That was still short for me but at least I could work with it.

Fast forward a few years. I still used the AFFIRM relaxer. I know, stupid you say, but I was certain the reason my hair broke off was because I failed to neutralize properly. Well guess what? This time it came out by the roots. I could feel the strands falling down my back every single time I washed my hair in the shower. Because it was going down the drain, it wasn't in my comb. I noticed my hair getting thinner and thinner, so I did a chop up to my shoulders again.

I stopped using the AFFIRM relaxer and switched to Silk Elements. My hair started growing back thicker. I did the protective styles and my hair grew back to my shoulder blades. What I didn't realize was that when I was doing my ponytail and tucking it back under the ponytail holder, I was causing breakage to the ends. Once again my hair was thin at the ends so I cut it. I hate thin, uneven ends so I cut it back to shoulder length in January. One problem this time, it started taking forever to grow back.

I had NEVER, EVER had a problem with my hair growing before. I just knew when I cut my hair it would be right back to where I started in approximately one year. Guess what? That didn't happen this time. I didn't know what was going on. I researched this board to find a remedy to the slow hair growth. I decided on the Eqyss Megatek because of the pleasant smell and the results. I also started using the WEN shampoo, 1000mg daily of the OptiMSM, Kyolic Garlic tablets, and a multi-vitamin. I EXPERIENCED THE MOST BIZARRE HAIR GROWTH I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!!! If I had a picture of the back of my head and drew a line straight down the middle, one side of my hair grew about an inch and a half longer than the other side of my head. No breakage or uneven ends, just amazing growth on one side and not the other. My hair looked thick, but it was uneven, so I cut the longer side to make it even with the shorter side.

Here's the clincher though everybody. Although my hair looks thick and even....after I finished washing my hair this morning and looked to see how even my hair looked in the back. Because of the disarray my hair was in, I was able to discovered a big bald spot about an inch and a half in diameter towards the top left side of my head . That's the side that's actually the thickest and was growing faster than the other side.

I know this story is long and drawn out but I didn't want to leave anything out. I was so upset I couldn't even go to work. Ladies, I actually cried. I don't know what happened. I've calmed down considerably from when I first discovered the bald spot.

I've been researching posts and I found the post about the essential oil mix. I researched it and found that it was actually used with success by the American Board of Dermatology. I will be heading to the Health Food store to purchase the ingredients and pray for the best.

I have read about this condition called Alopecia Areata where your immune system just attacks the hair follicles. Unfortunately in order for the doctor to determine if this is what I have I would have to have a biopsy done. I don't think my insurance will cover this because hair loss is usually a cosmetic concern. I'll call my insurance company anyway.

Just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity.

You need to go to the doctor to confirm what is going on. You might have hypothyroidism that is causing this condition. I wouldn't self diagnose.

I’m so sorry for all that’s happened and I hope that you find the solutions you require. I wish you lots of success in your journey to natural hair.
Best wishes and if it’s not too much trouble, I would love to hear an update in the future of how your journey is going.

Last edited:
Sorry this happened to you. Please go to the doctor to get a proper diagnosis. Also, your insurance company may pay for the biopsy, I've been able to get them to pay for cortisone shots for an area in my nape that was breaking off, shoot even my mini peels, so you never know.

I have got great results from the 'drink your hair to waist length' shake. This thread has helped alot of woman with alopecia problems. The thread is always circulating and I suggest you try it. hth

Well it sucks that you're going through this but I'm sure it'll be figured out if you go to the doctor, at least they can rule some things out.

I just wanted to say, your journey doesn't have to be a rough one. You're already taking steps to deal with whatever issues you're having and that's great. Try to focus on the positive and solutions, instead of focusing on problems and obstacles. Lots of people have easy transitions to natural hair and you can be one of them.

Alopecia areata doesnt always need a biopsy for diagnosis. You may have labs done to rule out other things. If it has appearance of alopecia areata than you may be tried on therapy and if you dont respond then maybe a biopsy. At least in my case that's how it was done. Make an appt. that way you will have your questions answered.

OMG, that happened to me with my last relaxer in 2004. I used affirm and since it did not take I did a corrective (by myself) and then who knows due to stress, fine strands, and not neutralising properly, I lost the entire crown of my hair piece by piece. The entire crown. The only style I could do was a bun because the back and the front were enough to hide the bald spot and I used bobby pins. Anyhow, at the end of the day I stopped relaxing my hair because that incident scared me too much. And now the crown is all grown back and longer than before.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Back