***!!! ~ I'm a Survivor ~ !!! ***

I just figured out what I had this year. Mine was really bad in 2004 right after my (divorce) first husband long story:hammer:.

I joined this site in 2007 to find an answer and yes I came in on the monistat thread, but I prayed and researched and came up with something that worked for me it is a mixture of monistat , mtg, peppermint, lavendar, rosemary, coconut oil and shea butter. Because of masive shedding this past winter I am looking into the Ayverdic Powders. My pics are in my profile. It was the scariest thing I had ever seen.

Mine started out about the size of a quarter and got larger. I also found a spot in the front of my hair. I considered going natural, then I decided to try working on the spots. Thank you JESUS it is much better and I am looking for a way to make sure it doesn't come back.

Thanks for posting on your experiences, Mistee11 and Missigirl.

I hope we can help each other regain what we've lost and help others along the way.

Hi All ~

I will be fasting until Easter and I will no longer post or login.
I love you all and need this time for fellowship with Father.

Blessings,
~Br*nze

C-ya Resurrection Sunday!!!

eastercross.gif

Hey girls, here is my update pic. I believe it has been about 4 months. One spot is doing a lot better than the other. I feel this is do to the derm not injecting both spots, since she was too lazy to check my entire head. Unfortunately I have another spot on the other side of my head, but its really tiny so I am not worried about it.
Before:
4months:

I also play with my hair alot, and all the edges of my head (front, side and back) and suffering..you can see the bebes in the back where I pay with that hair too much. I will be going hard on stopping this habit and growing a thick hairline and edges. Hopefully I will have more progress on the spots and hairline soon. I will prbably post another pic in the fall. I have just been doing two weeks off, two weeks on with the steriod cream, and using a megatek mix. I will get back on with the herbal oil mix soon too

Last edited:
HTH
Alopecia areata is a hair loss condition that causes the rapid onset of round patches of baldness. The cause of alopecia areata is unknown, although in some cases, alopecia areata has been associated with autoimmune diseases.

People are often in good health. In approximately one-fifth of people who develop alopecia areata, there is a family history.

* Causes and conventional treatment of alopecia areata
* Photo of alopecia areata with pustules

Natural Remedies for Alopecia Areata

In most people with alopecia areata, hair usually grows back within a year without any treatment. The following are some natural remedies that have been explored for alopecia areata.
1) Essential Oils

A double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the use of a combination of essential oils or a placebo oil in 86 people with alopecia areata. The combination oil was a mixture of thyme, rosemary, lavender, and cedarwood essential oils in a mixture of carrier oils (jojoba and grapeseed). This oil was massaged into the scalp daily. The control group used only the carrier oils for their massage, also daily.

After 7 months, 19 (44%) of 43 people using the essential oil blend showed an improvement compared with 6 (15%) of 41 people in the control group. Although no side effects were associated with the topical application of essential oils, they may cause allergic reactions in some people.

* What are Essential Oils?
* How to Use Essential Oils Safely
* Essential Oil Buying Tips
* Which Massage Oil is Best?

2) Onion Juice

A study published in the Journal of Dermatology examined the effectiveness of onion juice or placebo in people with alopecia areata. Twenty-three people with alopecia areata applied the onion juice twice daily for two months, and 15 people applied tap water twice daily for two months.

People in the onion group began to experience regrowth of hair after two weeks of treatment. At four weeks, hair regrowth was seen in 17 (73.9%) people and at six weeks, hair regrowth was observed in 20 (86.9%) people. Improvement was significantly higher among males. In the tap water control group, hair regrowth was apparent in only 2 people at 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Please let me know how the emu oil & hydrotherma works for you. Take weekly progress pics if you can to track your progress. Good luck!

Hey Illuminati...Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I can't login to fotki right now to view your info, but how long have you gone through this? What all have you tried? You can pm me if you'd like. Have you tried cortisone injections? That may be a place to start.

Keep in touch. We'll do all we can to help.

I take one step forward to take two steps back :(

here is the current state of my spots

and this is the new one I discovered today

I am at a roadblock so I decided I need to come with a stronger attack. I am so busy traveling and school etc so my full plan may not start until September but I will use this thread to keep everyone up to date on what exactly I do because finding new spots is never fun. The first step is to go back to the derm and get some more shots...

Naah, Cutie, you are gonna take a step forward and keep on stepping. This will end. See yourself being healed of this with a head full of beautiful hair. It will happen.

Not doing that great, my hair length ( which is collar bone) has not grown since November. It seems like my spots are growing in but when I wash my hair, it looks as bare as ever. I've been noticing that everytime I wash my hair in the shower that my scalp is irritated as hell and the thins spots are 10 X worse. I am unfortunately still going through health problems. :( Since I've last posted, I've been in the emergency room 4 times in 2 1/2 months with weird respiratory/ stomach symptoms. I have had 2 x- rays done- nothing in my lungs and they can't find anything wrong w/ my stomach but reflux. I had what I thought was an asthma attack but was actually bronchial spasms (STILL SCARY!) Got allergy tests done and was only found to be allergic to dust, ragweed, pollen and cockroaches (ick!) I have also been breaking out in horrible pimples which I never get. I won't go through all the details but something is definately off with me that could be accelerated by stress. I have a suspicion that it is my water as well as I recently experimented and did not wash my hair for almost 3 weeks and I saw some hair growing in. My scalp was also not irritated. This past weekend, I washed my hair and bam! The thin areas came back ( my hairline looked way worse than before!) and the insane itching began again. My hair texture also seemed to change and felt brittle. I'm going to Home Depot today to purchase a water testing kit and water filter as my house is over 70 years old and I'm not positive about the condition of my water pipes. I also ordered the Full Body Detox, Total Woman Cleanse and Parasite cleanse from DHerbs which just came in the mail today. I will be incorporating a raw food diet while on detox and try to clean myself from teh inside out. I'm trying hard not get stressed and just thinking of my hair and my health symptoms is pissing me off! I guess I should try to incorporate positive thinking as well...
icon11.gif

Last edited:
I am a redeemed micro braids abuser. When I was dumb about hair care I was rockin' those micros for 5 years with only 1-3 week breaks in between rebraiding. I did NOT moisturize them daily. :nono: I did NOT scarf my hair at night. :nono: And I did NOT re-do the hair line 2 weeks in like you're supposed to. :nono:

When I think about my poor hair line (especially the right side, the side I sleep on) and how those tight braids shredded my hair up I just wanna :wallbash:

A small update on my hair issue. Before installing the water filter, I decided to test my (shower) water and noticed that when I mixed the hot water w/ cold, there was a scent of chlorine. When I turned the cold water cap full on, the scent of chlorine was so strong it damn near knocked me out! I'm sitting here thinking " How long has my water been like this?" Could this be the cause of my diagnosis of "non- specific folliculitis ( my derm and trichologist could not figure out what the heck was causing the irritation)? Could this be the cause of my sudden asthma- like symptoms and stomach distress? The pimple breakouts and shriveled, dry hair as well? If anyone knows anything about Chlorine, please let me know as I'm gagging at the thought of my family possibly O'Ding on chlorine. Thank God I always washed my daughter's hair in the sink and I'm sitting here kicking myself like, "Why didn't I realize this sooner?" Are there any products that I can use to get the Chlorine out of my scalp? Anything that my family and I can take internally? Advice is needed! I'm going to call my pulmonary doc on Monday to see what he says..

Last edited:
I have been battling traction alopecia for three years now with little progress. When my hair was done in cornrows three years back, I developed a huge bald spot on the right side of my head. My mom insisted that it was stress (wow, balding at the age of 15 already? :ohwell:) so I believed her and I continued to braid for months at a time, put in sew-ins occasionally, and relax about twice or three times a year. That side never grew back and up until now, I have seen very minimal growth. Then, at the end of 2008, I got a tight sew-in done and another bald spot, this time on my right, appeared. It was only until I began researching about half a year ago that I noticed that I had traction alopecia. I still don't know if the damage is permanent, but I hope to see a dermatologist by the end of this month to confirm.

Here are the pictures (taken just a couple of minutes ago):

This is the right side, the more worse of the two and the one that's been there first.
DSC00015.jpg

This is the left
DSC00016.jpg

OMGosh, Bklynqueen, I wish i knew something about chlorine to help you. Please share what you've found out and what your doctor recommended. I noticed something similar when I moved and my hair first started coming out. My dh said he thought it was in the water. We moved into his parent's old home and he said his mother had the same issue...i mean handfulls of hair coming out in DROVES. *Shudder*

A small update on my hair issue. Before installing the water filter, I decided to test my (shower) water and noticed that when I mixed the hot water w/ cold, there was a scent of chlorine. When I turned the cold water cap full on, the scent of chlorine was so strong it damn near knocked me out! I'm sitting here thinking " How long has my water been like this?" Could this be the cause of my diagnosis of "non- specific folliculitis ( my derm and trichologist could not figure out what the heck was causing the irritation)? Could this be the cause of my sudden asthma- like symptoms and stomach distress? The pimple breakouts and shriveled, dry hair as well? If anyone knows anything about Chlorine, please let me know as I'm gagging at the thought of my family possibly O'Ding on chlorine. Thank God I always washed my daughter's hair in the sink and I'm sitting here kicking myself like, "Why didn't I realize this sooner?" Are there any products that I can use to get the Chlorine out of my scalp? Anything that my family and I can take internally? Advice is needed! I'm going to call my pulmonary doc on Monday to see what he says..

AmyRose92, thank you for posting. What are you doing to regrow your hair? What styles are you using now? I pray that you get relief and your hair grows back.

I have been battling traction alopecia for three years now with little progress. When my hair was done in cornrows three years back, I developed a huge bald spot on the right side of my head. My mom insisted that it was stress (wow, balding at the age of 15 already? :ohwell:) so I believed her and I continued to braid for months at a time, put in sew-ins occasionally, and relax about twice or three times a year. That side never grew back and up until now, I have seen very minimal growth. Then, at the end of 2008, I got a tight sew-in done and another bald spot, this time on my right, appeared. It was only until I began researching about half a year ago that I noticed that I had traction alopecia. I still don't know if the damage is permanent, but I hope to see a dermatologist by the end of this month to confirm.

This is the right side, the more worse of the two and the one that's been there first.
DSC00015.jpg

This is the left
DSC00016.jpg

Whenever i read a post of someone dealing with hair loss, or i see someone in person who's suffering with it, I get sooo sad and then I get angry. I take it very personally because there are sooo many women of color who have to live through this. If I had a dollar for every woman I've met who has dealt with or is dealing with hair loss, I'd be a VERY wealthy woman.

There has to be a cure for this. There has to be.

DSC00015.jpg

This is the left
DSC00016.jpg

I believe that there is a good chance that those areas will grow back if you really take care of them and stop pulling your hair tight altogether and leave the relaxer alone, some peoples scalp are just too sensitive for any type of chemicals no matter how little. Those areas in the photos don't look very shiny and there are little hairs there, so you should use natural oils and moisturize daily on those areas. Have you ever tried Natures Blessings? It is an herbal pomade or grease that has all of the essential oils recommended for hair growth in it with minimal unnatural oils like mineral. Hope everything goes well at the Doctor, but they will only recommend synthetic substances to help with your problem.

Last edited:
Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll: Thanks for your support too! I really feel a lot better posting these pictures up. Right now, I'm definitely staying away from sew-ins, box braids, and most importantly relaxers. I've been using Minoval Growth Aid mixed with Tibet Temple and Nape Penetrating Oil irregularly for a couple of months but I'm looking for something that may be more effective than that. For now, I've been wearing wigs until the summer. Then I plan on wearing puffs or twists.

djkforeal: Thank you so much for your suggestion. I've never heard of Nature's Blessings but I'm more than willing to give it a try if I ever find it. I've also been considering Boundless Tresses but I'm not too sure yet.

I've heard many good reports on Minoval. Try to stick to one thing for a few months so that you know it works. Also, take pictures, because seeing can be deceiving, so it's best to capture everything so you really know what works and what doesn't.

Mind you, I did not take my own advice. I jumped around products way too quickly and was too embarassed/defeated with my hair to take pictures to track my progress. So it's hard to tell what worked and what didn't. Save yourself time and $$.

Not doing that great, my hair length ( which is collar bone) has not grown since November. It seems like my spots are growing in but when I wash my hair, it looks as bare as ever. I've been noticing that everytime I wash my hair in the shower that my scalp is irritated as hell and the thins spots are 10 X worse. I am unfortunately still going through health problems. :( Since I've last posted, I've been in the emergency room 4 times in 2 1/2 months with weird respiratory/ stomach symptoms. I have had 2 x- rays done- nothing in my lungs and they can't find anything wrong w/ my stomach but reflux. I had what I thought was an asthma attack but was actually bronchial spasms (STILL SCARY!) Got allergy tests done and was only found to be allergic to dust, ragweed, pollen and cockroaches (ick!) I have also been breaking out in horrible pimples which I never get. I won't go through all the details but something is definately off with me that could be accelerated by stress. I have a suspicion that it is my water as well as I recently experimented and did not wash my hair for almost 3 weeks and I saw some hair growing in. My scalp was also not irritated. This past weekend, I washed my hair and bam! The thin areas came back ( my hairline looked way worse than before!) and the insane itching began again. My hair texture also seemed to change and felt brittle. I'm going to Home Depot today to purchase a water testing kit and water filter as my house is over 70 years old and I'm not positive about the condition of my water pipes. I also ordered the Full Body Detox, Total Woman Cleanse and Parasite cleanse from DHerbs which just came in the mail today. I will be incorporating a raw food diet while on detox and try to clean myself from teh inside out. I'm trying hard not get stressed and just thinking of my hair and my health symptoms is pissing me off! I guess I should try to incorporate positive thinking as well...
icon11.gif

Have you ever had your water supply, house or water pipes tested for lead?

^^^ Anyone here with thinning edges & temples considered the surgical route?

I have seriously started considering it after much research.

^^^ Hey bronzed obviously my research has been from a purely personal angle, but I have now been trying to nurse back my edges now for quite some time (years) and I also remembered that as a child they were fine (I was reminded of this when I recently saw my nephew whom at 2 reminds me of my hairline). My brother and father also have MPB. I also recently discovered another bald spot at my edges just above my ears. I am not sure if its getting worse or because its starting to grow that I am noticing it more (if that makes sense). I have been wigging it for about 3 months now and BC'd recently and am starting to feel a little disheartened. It appears that any sort of friction sets me back i.e. silk scarf etc etc.

I am just feeling now that I am fed up of complaining about my edges (and so is DH who actually thinks its a good idea) with no real great progress after so long hence why I am considering the surgical route.

My loss is mainly limited to my edges and temples and seems to be both hereditary, self induced from braids and weaves and finally there maybe a hormonal element. That said all the JBCO in the world will not give me back my density and growth which is what I really want.

Anyway here is some info I have found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rda_hCRcBMI&playnext_from=TL&videos=RM3aosHEXOE

http://hairloss.iahrs.org/category/african-american/

Any thoughts and suggestions ladies are greatly appreciated.

Good luck to all the ladies in this thread and stay strong....

subscribing. I am battling the same issues. I think I naturally have a weak hairline which I have aggravated with weaves and cornrows etc done too tight. I'll be back to add more to this post.

Back