If you've ever worn a weave, I need your help please!

you make a good point. only thing is, i already bought the EP hair. i invested in the EP hair because i figured i'd reuse it (and it had come so highly recommended). i hope to get my money's worth out of it

Does it have to be EP? Since it is your first install and you don't know if you'll like it or not, why not go for a slightly cheaper but good quality brand like Goddess Remy or Bohyme? EP hair can last for several installs, if you decide you don't like sew-ins, it'd have been good money wasted.

For a full head you should ALWAYS get at least 8 oz. (rarely you may use less) and if it is longer hair (12 inches and up) you should probably get a little more...like 10 oz. The length adds to the weight of the hair...so the longer the hair the less you get per oz. TRUST ME...I KNOW. There is nothing anyone can do for your full head with 4 oz. other than a ponytail.

thanks, dymmeonds. i am going to try though. based on what GabbanaGirl and others have said about EP hair, i think it is doable.

For a full head you should ALWAYS get at least 8 oz. (rarely you may use less) and if it is longer hair (12 inches and up) you should probably get a little more...like 10 oz. The length adds to the weight of the hair...so the longer the hair the less you get per oz. TRUST ME...I KNOW. There is nothing anyone can do for your full head with 4 oz. other than a ponytail.

thanks, dymmeonds. i am going to try though. based on what GabbanaGirl and others have said about EP hair, i think it is doable.

I understand...and I know how it is when money is tight. There are ways to stretch it short-term....like a mesh weave (WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS BEFORE) but it won't last too long and ultimately it would be to your benefit to purchase another few ounces. I wish you luck...going to the beautician should be FUN ...NOT stressful! :drunk:

I understand...and I know how it is when money is tight. There are ways to stretch it short-term....like a mesh weave (WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS BEFORE) but it won't last too long and ultimately it would be to your benefit to purchase another few ounces. I wish you luck...going to the beautician should be FUN ...NOT stressful! :drunk:

true true. i am hoping it will be fun. i will report back as to how this all works out.

You definitely need more than 4oz of hair. 4oz - 1 pack. Most full installs need 6-8oz or 1 .5 packs of hair. Good luck.

thanks, jamaicalovely. i hope it works out fine.

out of curiosity, of the ladies who are saying 4 oz. is not enough, have any of you tried to do a full head sew-in with EP hair? because it seems as though EP hair is what makes the difference and i just want to make sure i manage my expectations correctly.

OP, I was JUST having the same issues you were!! I haven't purchased the hair yet, but the EP hair looks JUST LIKE my real hair when wet. I would love to have that hair to not have to mess around with blending and what not.

I've tried asking EVERYBODY about this situation- I want to only order 4oz, but a lot of veterans have told me that I could do it, but not to because it's too easy for my hair to look jacked up.

I KNOW how you feel- you REALLY want that weave, but girl, I got a weave this summer because I HAD to have it and, well I didn't do enough research and got screwed (don't ask).

This time, I want to do it right. I want quality hair that's going to last me at least a a couple of installs because I want to wear protective styles for the next year to grow out my natural hair.

I would do as one of the ladies mentioned- use cheaper hair first. I have two packs of (cheaper, BSS) hair that I want to use for a near-future install. Just to get the styling correct, making sure the stylist I picked is actually good before she works on my $300 hair!

I've never heard of the place you are going to (I'm a cOMPLETE newbie to hair weaving). How did you hear of it and is there a website? Annieup gave me a name of a place that she used to go to (she wears lacefronts now).

I want to get EP RT or Bohyme Egyptian wave.. I might do both. The Bohyme in the summerrr

out of curiosity, of the ladies who are saying 4 oz. is not enough, have any of you tried to do a full head sew-in with EP hair? because it seems as though EP hair is what makes the difference and i just want to make sure i manage my expectations correctly.

I buy my hair from Lugo's by the oz. blended to match my texture and color. I have used the same 3 oz. (18 inch) for the last six months for three tracks and it is still going strong. If you read my first "newbie" post...you would know about my "INCIDENT"...where all of my hair melted off...I had to run and buy hair so FAST...lol. Anyway, when I did need most of my head (i never did full..always at least a half inch of edges for believability) done, I started with 7 oz. and had to run out to get 2 more.

BTW...here are pics of how my hair looked....7 oz. with only half an inch of hair to blend around the edges.

1298780847_l.jpg

Now...with 5 oz. on 5 tracks (when my hair was NL).

l_eb36bc188f66f61522f2a8d32f1c1590.jpg

and Now 3 oz. on 3 tracks (hair is now APL, but thin from not taking care of it AT ALL) for bulk...

Attachments

• Purple Bathroom.jpg
    Purple Bathroom.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 17
I have definitely used 4 ounces before, and yes the hair from lugos, it was not very long though. A lot of people's real hair outside LHCF does not even look like 4 ounces. If the stylist is careful with the way she places the tracks, it will look very realistic. Like I said earlier, make sure you seal the wefts with fray block before hand. that way it will not become thinner. If it is thinner than you would like, make sure you wear it wavy or curly (braid outs or pin curls should do the trick), If the hair you bought is a curly brand, then 4 oz is definitely enough. Its doable

I have definitely used 4 ounces before, and yes the hair from lugos, it was not very long though. A lot of people's real hair outside LHCF does not even look like 4 ounces. If the stylist is careful with the way she places the tracks, it will look very realistic. Like I said earlier, make sure you seal the wefts with fray block before hand. that way it will not become thinner. If it is thinner than you would like, make sure you wear it wavy or curly (braid outs or pin curls should do the trick), If the hair you bought is a curly brand, then 4 oz is definitely enough. Its doable

If I recall she says she got 12 inches straight. That is a toughie.

yes, i saw the EP RT hair on two of my friends and thought it was their hair! it blends very well.

the veterans that you asked, were they veteran users of EP RT hair? or just veterans of weaving generally?

i'm taking all the warnings into consideration because what you and other ladies have said is right in terms of not wasting the money i've already spent and having a good weaving experience overall.

as for your questions concerning queen of the wink-- i did a bunch of research on here and bhm and queen comes highly recommended. i hadn't read not one post from a dissatisfied customer. i have not personally been to queen myself so i am not speaking from experience at all. if and when i finally make it there, i can let you know how it goes. her website is www.queenofthewink.com and she has a myspace page. you can google queen of the wink and basically find everything i found on her skills and her shop.

do you mind/think annieup would mind if you shared where she went to get her weaves done? any pics? maybe a fotki i can stalk to see results?

OP, I was JUST having the same issues you were!! I haven't purchased the hair yet, but the EP hair looks JUST LIKE my real hair when wet. I would love to have that hair to not have to mess around with blending and what not.

I've tried asking EVERYBODY about this situation- I want to only order 4oz, but a lot of veterans have told me that I could do it, but not to because it's too easy for my hair to look jacked up.

I KNOW how you feel- you REALLY want that weave, but girl, I got a weave this summer because I HAD to have it and, well I didn't do enough research and got screwed (don't ask).

This time, I want to do it right. I want quality hair that's going to last me at least a a couple of installs because I want to wear protective styles for the next year to grow out my natural hair.

I would do as one of the ladies mentioned- use cheaper hair first. I have two packs of (cheaper, BSS) hair that I want to use for a near-future install. Just to get the styling correct, making sure the stylist I picked is actually good before she works on my $300 hair!

I've never heard of the place you are going to (I'm a cOMPLETE newbie to hair weaving). How did you hear of it and is there a website? Annieup gave me a name of a place that she used to go to (she wears lacefronts now).

I want to get EP RT or Bohyme Egyptian wave.. I might do both. The Bohyme in the summerrr

You should do a search on BHM with respect to EPRT. I read posts where folks get away with using 4-6oz because of how thick EPRT is. However, it's often recommended that you order 8oz just in case but I read many posts where people say they've never used the full 8oz. I personally think you'd be fine with 6oz. I think 8-10oz would be too much. There are alot of threads on that forum regarding this question.

I purchased 4 oz of EP Silky Relaxed texture in 12" and the wefts are LONG and the wefts are somewhat dense. I plan to use 2 oz of some other hair that I have in addition to the EP hair. I plan to install this weekend.

BTW, although 8oz is often recommended, i really varies from person to person. I've NEVER used 8oz because that is just too much for me and would look too thick/unrealistic. I always install about 6 oz of hair. Please keep in mind that I install shorter lengths (10-12") so that may be why since the wefts are much longer.

Last edited:
I am getting my first install soon. I'm getting a full head sew-in. I bought 4 ounces of 12" relaxed textured hair from Extensions Plus at the recommendation of a friend who has had a weave before. Problem is, I just spoke to the stylist and she insisted I get 8 - 10 oz. I just cannot afford 8 - 10 oz of EP hair! So, I am wondering if I need to either go to someone else or if I need to buy different hair.

How many ounces of hair do you normally buy for a full head weave?

Does it make a difference that I am buying Extensions Plus relaxed textured hair (12")?

If I should get more hair, what hair would you suggest that would blend well with my hair (4b texlaxed) and the EP relaxed textured hair but not break the bank?

Finally, on the whim that a fellow NY'er is reading this, have you ever been to Queen of the Wink? Does Queen have some special style that requires more EP RT hair than normal?

TIA, ladies

Hey I just took out a weave and guess what...i used extensions plus hair. Its the best, most natural weave you'll ever find. I was a weave wearer and no one EVER knew this was a weave unless i told them. anyway on to your question...

I got the EXACT same hair you quoted and I only purchased 4 ounces. Do not get 8 oz. That is double what I had and my stylist prob always had 1/2 ounce left. The 4 oz was a lot for me to have to take care of and I couldn't imagine having 8 ounces. Take my work for it. If you want to see pics I can send to you.

I also got the natural perm hair. its a wet and wavy kind. Its sooo worth it. But since you already made your purchase stick with what you have.

i see what you're saying. i think i am going to try my luck. i'll ask queen not to cut it, have her curl it for fullness as someone suggested earlier in the thread and hope for the best. worst comes to worst, i will just have to buy more hair when i can afford it.

I buy my hair from Lugo's by the oz. blended to match my texture and color. I have used the same 3 oz. (18 inch) for the last six months for three tracks and it is still going strong. If you read my first "newbie" post...you would know about my "INCIDENT"...where all of my hair melted off...I had to run and buy hair so FAST...lol. Anyway, when I did need most of my head (i never did full..always at least a half inch of edges for believability) done, I started with 7 oz. and had to run out to get 2 more.

i see what you're saying. i think i am going to try my luck. i'll ask queen not to cut it, have her curl it for fullness as someone suggested earlier in the thread and hope for the best. worst comes to worst, i will just have to buy more hair when i can afford it.

Definitely wish you the best and keeping my fingers crossed that she can work something out for you....please post pics of the finished product...and I hope it is a BANGER!

Thanks. Only thing is EP doesn't sell pack hair and it sells its relaxed textured hair by the 2 oz. Every 2 oz. is $122 or so. I can't do 4 orders of that for a total of 8 oz. b/c that would cost me over $500 after the cost of shipping. Can't afford that.

I've been trying to do some searches but I am getting a wide range of answers to this question. Can more folks chime in? I am hoping I don't have to buy any more hair, much less EP hair...

Not sure what type of hair u have, but that's alot. U def need more hair for full weave. Like I said not sure of the texture u have but go to Lugo hair. They have a spot in Brooklyn& manhattan. They do custom blends with textures and colors and sell by the oz. Brooklyn 7182840370 & manhattan 2129795160. For your weft get thin, double stitched. Hth

yes, i was looking/lurking on bhm and i noticed some folks used 4 oz. of EP hair but some used more. i guess what threw me was when i mentioned to queen that i had 4 oz and asked if that would be ok seeing as how it is EP RT hair, she was pretty insistent that i needed 8 - 10 oz. :ohwell: i was wondering if it was something about her technique why i needed so much or if maybe there was something special about EP RT hair that she just was not familiar with or was not thinking about when i called.

judging on what i have seen (for ex.: on GabbanaGirl who posted earlier in this thread), i think 8 - 10 oz would be too much for me too.

please let me know how your install goes!

You should do a search on BHM with respect to EPRT. I read posts where folks get away with using 4-6oz because of how thick EPRT is. However, it's often recommended that you order 8oz just in case but I read many posts where people say they've never used the full 8oz. I personally think you'd be fine with 6oz. I think 8-10oz would be too much. There are alot of threads on that forum regarding this question.

I purchased 4 oz of EP Silky Relaxed texture in 12" and the wefts are LONG and the wefts are somewhat dense. I plan to use 2 oz of some other hair that I have in addition to the EP hair. I plan to install this weekend.

BTW, although 8oz is often recommended, i really varies from person to person. I've NEVER used 8oz because that is just too much for me and would look too thick/unrealistic. I always install about 6 oz of hair. Please keep in mind that I install shorter lengths (10-12") so that may be why since the wefts are much longer.

thanks! this makes me feel better :)
please send me pics of your install. i would love to see how it came out.

Hey I just took out a weave and guess what...i used extensions plus hair. Its the best, most natural weave you'll ever find. I was a weave wearer and no one EVER knew this was a weave unless i told them. anyway on to your question...

I got the EXACT same hair you quoted and I only purchased 4 ounces. Do not get 8 oz. That is double what I had and my stylist prob always had 1/2 ounce left. The 4 oz was a lot for me to have to take care of and I couldn't imagine having 8 ounces. Take my work for it. If you want to see pics I can send to you.

I also got the natural perm hair. its a wet and wavy kind. Its sooo worth it. But since you already made your purchase stick with what you have.

4 oz. of 12 inch EPRT was more than enough for me too. I also had about 1/2 ounce left. I think 8 oz. of this hair would take you into Chaka Khan territory.

This is extremely helpful ladies!

OP, i didn't understand one poster when she said 'don't let them cut the hair'. I understand that it can be used for multiple installs, why wouldn't you want the hair dresser to cut and style? If I want to re install, I would just have the same hairstyle, right?

This is extremely helpful ladies!

OP, i didn't understand one poster when she said 'don't let them cut the hair'. I understand that it can be used for multiple installs, why wouldn't you want the hair dresser to cut and style? If I want to re install, I would just have the same hairstyle, right?

12 inches is not a lot for EPRT because it's somewhat puffy. The tracks should fall into natural looking layers after the install. I think you get longer use from the hair by not cutting it or only trimming it lightly. My EPRT lasted a year and I only needed to buy more because of the cutting I had done throughout installs. When I bought more hair, I used the older, shorter hair as my top layer.

yes, i was looking/lurking on bhm and i noticed some folks used 4 oz. of EP hair but some used more. i guess what threw me was when i mentioned to queen that i had 4 oz and asked if that would be ok seeing as how it is EP RT hair, she was pretty insistent that i needed 8 - 10 oz. :ohwell: i was wondering if it was something about her technique why i needed so much or if maybe there was something special about EP RT hair that she just was not familiar with or was not thinking about when i called.

judging on what i have seen (for ex.: on GabbanaGirl who posted earlier in this thread), i think 8 - 10 oz would be too much for me too.

please let me know how your install goes!

Will do! I'm going to post pics in my fotki this weekend so I'll let you know.

Anyhow, it's good to know that there are folks that get a full install with 4oz of EPRT. I've seen a few 4oz installs of EPRT and the hair looked full and thick imo and I also think you would be fine to do so.

OP, have you washed the hair yet? Because I know it gets thicker after washing. Although the EPSRT is less texturized than the EPRT, it still became thicker after washing. I was soo tempted to just use 4 oz but since the hair isn't as thick as EPRT, I think I would need it a little fuller. We'll see and I'll let you know how it goes:).

hey girl. nope, i have not washed the hair yet. should i? :perplexed i am new to this whole weaving thing.

i will post pics in my fotki when i get mine done too. i'm hoping to get it done this friday or saturday.

Will do! I'm going to post pics in my fotki this weekend so I'll let you know.

Anyhow, it's good to know that there are folks that get a full install with 4oz of EPRT. I've seen a few 4oz installs of EPRT and the hair looked full and thick imo and I also think you would be fine to do so.

OP, have you washed the hair yet? Because I know it gets thicker after washing. Although the EPSRT is less texturized than the EPRT, it still became thicker after washing. I was soo tempted to just use 4 oz but since the hair isn't as thick as EPRT, I think I would need it a little fuller. We'll see and I'll let you know how it goes:).

Thanks. Only thing is EP doesn't sell pack hair and it sells its relaxed textured hair by the 2 oz. Every 2 oz. is $122 or so. I can't do 4 orders of that for a total of 8 oz. b/c that would cost me over $500 after the cost of shipping. Can't afford that.

I've been trying to do some searches but I am getting a wide range of answers to this question. Can more folks chime in? I am hoping I don't have to buy any more hair, much less EP hair...

$122 per 2 oz.!? That's ridiculous! If I got some weave for that price, it better last for 2 years or more! Get you some regular weave that's much cheaper, seriously. All weave will eventually get matted and tangled up anyway. Don't waste your money. Or better yet, wear out your texturized hair.

yeah, i know that is ridiculously expensive. i agree and probably would not have taken the plunge had i not read up on the quality of this hair. because there is minimal to no tangling, shedding, matting, etc. and it can be reused over and over, it comes out to be actually cheaper than buying new hair each time i have a sew-in done. a friend of mine has had and reused the same hair for the last year and a half and it still looks good. also, the EP relaxed textured hair should blend with my hair perfectly.

already spent the dough so i hope it is not wasted. i am using the weave as a protective style for a while, at which point my goal is to do exactly what you suggest, which is wear out my own texturized hair. i can't wait and am hoping for positive results!

$122 per 2 oz.!? That's ridiculous! If I got some weave for that price, it better last for 2 years or more! Get you some regular weave that's much cheaper, seriously. All weave will eventually get matted and tangled up anyway. Don't waste your money. Or better yet, wear out your texturized hair.

Back