If you're not married but in a relationship are you...

drasgrl

Still considered single? I say yes. I'm not married but I have a bf and I consider myself single but he says otherwise :perplexed. He gets mad when I say I'm single. I don't get it. I'm not married so technically the opposite of that is single right? What do you say? Do you still consider yourself single even if you are in a relationship?

Not if we are knowingly and mutually committed to each other and the relationship.
But, yes I have dated most of my boyfriends and still considered myself single. Meaning dating but non committed, I'm in but if an opportunity presented itself I'm out. Better known as keeping my options open or having my cake and eating it too.

I still consider myself single.:yep: Yes, we are in a committed relationship...but that commitment was not made before God and our loved one's.

Exactly. When you fill out important paperwork, you have to put single.

Yeah this is what I do I'm sure he does to. I guess I can see his point too. I guess he figures if I say I'm single and I'm with him maybe he thinks like I'm not being serious.

its all technicalities but telling your bf you are single when hes standing right in front of you ...is he then just a 'special friend'??[/B]

Filling out paperwork and social interactions are separate to me. I say I'm in a committed relationship. =)

When you fill out paperwork you are single.

For all other intents and purposes you are not.

Although not married you are not single if in a committed relationship. Telling a person you are single implies you are available to date.

Yep, still single. I will be single until the day I'm married.

Now, I say "I'm single, but pursuing a committed relationship."

Still considered single? I say yes. I'm not married but I have a bf and I consider myself single but he says otherwise :perplexed. He gets mad when I say I'm single. I don't get it. I'm not married so technically the opposite of that is single right? What do you say? Do you still consider yourself single even if you are in a relationship?

I think you are still single. Legally he has no ties to you, and you can do what you please as far as the law is concerned.

If he doesn't like the single status he should do something about that. Something that includes a ring and license.

Legally the four options are single, married, divorced and widowed. I guess engaged is an option, but nothing changes legally.

If you've never been married, you're single.

DRASGRL, you are "Single"; legally and any many other ways.
The problem is that you are in a relationship so you are not "Available";
when your BF here you say you are "single" he's probably thinking about the a-v-a-i-l-a-b-i-l-i-t-y aspect of being "single". To keep the peace, perhaps you should answer the questions as single but not available.

Again he's your BF not your DH; the latter is legally bound to you, the 1st can leave you at the drop of a dime.

AW SNAP are we talking about "paperwork". SINGLE is the answer, if BF gets upset then he needs "put his name on it" That's like frontn that you own a CAR/HOUSE when infact you are just BORROWING it. Again read the italicized text above.

Last edited:
Legally the four options are single, married, divorced and widowed. I guess engaged is an option, but nothing changes legally.

If you've never been married, you're single.

OT. Because of this set up I will forever be branded as divorced. (well until I remarry).

I don't understand the need for the divorce option.

Sorry drasgrl.

Carry on...

OT. Because of this set up I will forever be branded as divorced. (well until I remarry).

I don't understand the need for the divorce option.

Sorry drasgrl.

Carry on...

Divorced means you were once married and it ended in divorced. I don't see why that wouldn't be an option considering it's a different situation than the other options.

Divorced means you were once married and it ended in divorced. I don't see why that wouldn't be an option considering it's a different situation than the other options.

I know I'm just complaining. I don't like the idea that I can't go back to being single; in legal terms. I have issues girl.

I think you are still single. Legally he has no ties to you, and you can do what you please as far as the law is concerned.

If he doesn't like the single status he should do something about that. Something that includes a ring and license.

but what if you dont want him to propose just yet? why are people trying to complicate things its not like we are talking about legalities..explaining to yor lawyer your marital status,if you are not married you are not married period but there are also variations to your personal life . lets not act like if SO was going round saying he was single we would be ok with it

but what if you dont want him to propose just yet? why are people trying to complicate things its not like we are talking about legalities..explaining to yor lawyer your marital status,if you are not married you are not married period but there are also variations to your personal life . lets not act like if SO was going round saying he was single we would be ok with it

Before I was married I would say that I had a boyfriend/ was in a relationship. I think I was young enough/looked young enough where folks comfortably assumed I wasn't married. The question was did I have a boyfriend or not, was I seeing someone. When it came to dudes some didn't care and tried to holler anyway. :look:

Last edited:
if we are together we are together....regardless of what needs to be checked on a piece of paper...when I was with my ex and people asked me if I was married...I would answer..no, I am in love

I'm single legally, but I still consider myself in a committed relationship and wouldn't go around saying I'm single. I wouldn't be too happy if he did that to me.

Unless you've walked down the aisle, you're single. :yep: Now single and unattached are two TOTALLY different things.

Filling out paperwork and social interactions are separate to me. I say I'm in a committed relationship. =)

Well of course. But you are still single...I am in a serious relationship but I am still single.

And I obviously say that I am in a relationship out in public.

Last edited:
Interesting, so, many woman do believe that only marriage defines a true committment.

Back