If I see "ONE" more spilt end, I am going to SCREAM!

PuffyBrown

I have currently been working on my ends to remove spits and get them to look like the rest of my hair and not frizzy.

My biggest problem was/is SPLIT ENDS(from wearing braids so long, and not dusting before rebraiding......for years). I have had a good trim and am about 90% to 95% split end free. I am also using Joico Split Ends Mender once a week.

:blush:Just when I think all is well, what did I find this morning. You guessed it, there he was, in a spot that had no spits the just two days ago..a new one... :wallbash:

My question is what do you do about this?
Should I cut the split ends off everytime I see one or should I just ignore it and wait until dust time which is right before my relax/texlax?

I have currently been working on my ends to remove spits and get them to look like the rest of my hair and not frizzy.

My biggest problem was/is SPLIT ENDS(from wearing braids so long, and not dusting before rebraiding......for years). I have had a good trim and am about 90% to 95% split end free. I am also using Joico Split Ends Mender once a week.

:blush:Just when I think all is well, what did I find this morning. You guessed it, there he was, in a spot that had no spits the just two days ago..a new one... :wallbash:

Should I cut the split ends off everytime I see one or should I just ignore it and wait until dust time which is right before my relax/texlax?[/quote]

StellaB, you know the first part, so start dusting before you braid. I'd dust as soon as I saw a split without waiting. My response is a bit two-fold because I only look and dust {did it one day late yesterday} during the Morrocco Moon Phase lengthen days, so me telling you to dust when you see a split is because you are looking.

Last edited:
AAAWWW I'm sorry you're stressed. The end of every strand on my head looks like a damn broomstick so I cannot help. I just wanted to say good luck in your war against the evil splits!!

Yea, I learnt a good lesson. Fortunately I havent worn braids for almost six monts or so and loving it. I cannot see wearing them anymore for a long time. :rolleyes:

Should I cut the split ends off everytime I see one or should I just ignore it and wait until dust time which is right before my relax/texlax?[/quote]

StellaB, you know the first part, so start dusting before you braid. I'd dust as soon as I saw a split without waiting. My response is a bit two-fold because I only look and dust {did it one day late yesterday} during the Morrocco Moon Phase lengthen days, so me telling you to dust when you see a split is because you are looking.

I am going through something similar Stella. I keep getting the L shaped split ends. I think that not throughly protecting my hair from relaxer run off is what did it for me.

I have been dusting once a month or so lately and that is helping. I have also increased protein treatments. I used Kpak hydrator last night and my hair feels much stronger and still very soft. I think with time..changing my products and dusting...I will get it under control.

I hope so girl. These things got me paranoid about losing all my hair. I am going to start roller setting after washing instead of just doing an airdry in ponytail or wrap airdry to see if this helps.

I wish somebody would start a rollerset challenge cause I would join. Maybe start for like 3 months then 6 months then 12 months...fun. I am going to post a thread asking somebody to start one. I am going to get a hardhat dryer too. I dont know if I am going to get something like the pibbs but I want something close.

I am going through something similar Stella. I keep getting the L shaped split ends. I think that not throughly protecting my hair from relaxer run off is what did it for me.

I have been dusting once a month or so lately and that is helping. I have also increased protein treatments. I used Kpak hydrator last night and my hair feels much stronger and still very soft. I think with time..changing my products and dusting...I will get it under control.

I hope so girl. These things got me paranoid about losing all my hair. I am going to start roller setting after washing instead of just doing an airdry in ponytail or wrap airdry to see if this helps.

I wish somebody would start a rollerset challenge cause I would join. Maybe start for like 3 months then 6 months then 12 months...fun. I am going to post a thread asking somebody to start one. I am going to get a hardhat dryer too. I dont know if I am going to get something like the pibbs but I want something close.

Once you start rollersetting, I am sure it will get better. This Joico has my hair under a total makeover. It feels different and much better. I can't wait to see how it will be in a month of continued use. I am going to get about 1/2 inch trimmed by the end of year and then go back to dusting throughout the year until I get the last of my overprocessed hair out. That relaxer run off did a number on my ends. If you want, I will buddy up with you in rollersetting for the next 3 months.

Yeah, the only words of advice I can contribute are "search & destroy" :borgsmile
When you are snipping the splits off, make sure to cut a little ways above the split, and cut it straight across...

That, plus moisturizing and sealing obsessively, helped me. No more wayward ends...

When you rollerset, you should maybe apply your leave-ins to the ends first and then work your way up. Do the same with your serum or oil to seal it all in...

ETA: What kind of scissors are you using?

Last edited:
So you got it! Awesome!
I really like it too. I am going to try the Deep Hydrating Treatment next and also the Moisture Recovery. Your pic in your siggy looks really good.

Once you start rollersetting, I am sure it will get better. This Joico has my hair under a total makeover. It feels different and much better. I can't wait to see how it will be in a month of continued use. I am going to get about 1/2 inch trimmed by the end of year and then go back to dusting throughout the year until I get the last of my overprocessed hair out. That relaxer run off did a number on my ends. If you want, I will buddy up with you in rollersetting for the next 3 months.

I am using a pair of hair scissors by Goody. They are brand new and I have only used them like 3 or 4 times.
I think they are trimming scissors.

Yeah, the only words of advice I can contribute are "search & destroy" :borgsmile
When you are snipping the splits off, make sure to cut a little ways above the split, and cut it straight across...

That, plus moisturizing and sealing obsessively, helped me. No more wayward ends...

When you rollerset, you should maybe apply your leave-ins to the ends first and then work your way up. Do the same with your serum or oil to seal it all in...

ETA: What kind of scissors are you using?[/quote]

Should I cut the split ends off everytime I see one or should I just ignore it and wait until dust time which is right before my relax/texlax?

I don't see how wearing braids for so long and not dusting will make split ends? For me, this style is one of the least styles that will make split ends because they are hidden in the synthetic hair and I just moisturize when needed. Can you explain?

Back