Joico K-pak Split End Mender?

Ah, ok. I think I might like this. Can't wait to buy it over the weekend. I didn't like the k-pak smoothing balm at first, but once I realized what it was meant for, I worked it out. I heart Joico so MUCH!! It has totally changed my hair :grin:

Ah, ok. I think I might like this. Can't wait to buy it over the weekend. I didn't like the k-pak smoothing balm at first, but once I realized what it was meant for, I worked it out. I heart Joico so MUCH!! It has totally changed my hair :grin:

I hope you like it. I plan to use this after my leave in on wash day. Plus im using NTM for my daily moisture so im going seal with this.

Ok, I'm back. Today was payday, and after work, I took a field trip to the Trade Secret down the street from the office.

I picked up the Split End Mender, Thermal Design Foam, Leave-In Protectant (back-up), and Kenra Dandruff shampoo (to replace Keracare Dry/Itchy scalp). When I went to checkout, the lovely sales lady alerted me that the kit that had the SEM and K-pak reconstructor was not $32 like the sticker said, but was $19.95! So for $5 more than the original price of SEM, I got to get my SEM and a back-up tube of my fave reconstructor :D. Also, I got a freebie bag of K-pak poo, con, and reconstructor (valued at $15).

And this, ladies, is why Ulta was fired!!! :yep:

Anyhoo, I decide to wash my hair again (been having itchy scalp issues that Keracare just wasn't handling) so I got to try the SEM. It's still early but I think it's pretty good. The instructions say to apply to damp hair, so that's what I did prior to styling. It has a serum-y consistency and the typical K-pak scent, and felt substantial on my ends, ie., it felt like a 'treatment'. I experience splits in the front of my hair for some reason, so I'll be focusing my observations on that area.

So far, so good :)

OT: I LOVE the leave in protectant!

Ok, I'm back. Today was payday, and after work, I took a field trip to the Trade Secret down the street from the office.

I picked up the Split End Mender, Thermal Design Foam, Leave-In Protectant (back-up), and Kenra Dandruff shampoo (to replace Keracare Dry/Itchy scalp). When I went to checkout, the lovely sales lady alerted me that the kit that had the SEM and K-pak reconstructor was not $32 like the sticker said, but was $19.95! So for $5 more than the original price of SEM, I got to get my SEM and a back-up tube of my fave reconstructor :D. Also, I got a freebie bag of K-pak poo, con, and reconstructor (valued at $15).

Anyhoo, I decide to wash my hair again (been having itchy scalp issues that Keracare just wasn't handling) so I got to try the SEM. It's still early but I think it's pretty good. The instructions say to apply to damp hair, so that's what I did prior to styling. It has a serum-y consistency and the typical K-pak scent, and felt substantial on my ends, ie., it felt like a 'treatment'. I experience splits in the front of my hair for some reason, so I'll be focusing my observations on that area.

Hi Artemis
Sounds like you go a great deal on the SEM!
I've been using SEM for the past week & I love it. I used it on damp hair before my rollerset & I use it daily to seal NTM on dry hair. I always divide my hair in half to apply products, so for each side I use a small dab of NTM & 1 pump of the SEM (mainly on my ends) then wrap for the night. This has left my hair really soft & moisturized. And to my surprise not weighed down. I think I've found my daily moisture regimen :yawn:

I planned to wash & rollerst last night so my hair would be fresh & bouncy for the weekend (going to a party) but I decided not to. It still looks good & has swang :yep:

I went to Ulta today and they had the shampoo, moisturizing conditioner and the Reconstruct in a kit for $29.95. They also had a buy 2, get 1 free deal on any of the Joico products. Not to be mean, but you cannot talk to the cashiers because they will tell you how to run your life. This one ***** wanted to know who recommended Joico to me and why I don't get my split ends cut regularly by a salon and I must go to a salon regularly. I just looked at her, wondering if she had on a wig because it just didn't look right. :perplexed

Anyways, I decided to just get the reconstructor and see if it helps and if I like it before I buy everything else.

I guess I'll bump this too. I got a free bottle with SEM this past weekend when I bought the K-pak moisture condish. Would love to hear feedback from experienced users.

I just bought some to use when I flat iron next time. I'm interested in a review and will post one after I use it.

can anything really mend split ends?

Nope!
I have this and used it for several weeks with no visable improvement. I didn't use it long enough to know if it helped prevent split ends. The only way to completly get rid of exisiting splits is to cut them off. I do S&D as needed.

This does. It has advanced polymers and other stuff in it. Sorry I never came back to this thread, but it's a good product. I just can never remember to use it consistently because I have so much stuff at home :wallbash:

Remember to use it lightly, focusing on the last 2 or so inches of the hair. I apply it after leave-in but before PM skinny serum for my rollersets. If you become heavy handed with it, it may leave your ends a teeny bit cruncy after rollersets. Consistency is key with this.

Good luck trying it out ladies :up:

Edit: If the hair is splitting, it'll help it from getting worse. But if the hair is already split, I think the only thing that will remedy it is scissors.

Last edited:
Nope!
I have this and used it for several weeks with no visable improvement. I didn't use it long enough to know if it helped prevent split ends. The only way to completly get rid of exisiting splits is to cut them off. I do S&D as needed.

yeah my mind cant wrap around something mending them, prevention yes, but not mending, nothing but them scissors remedy them

and I make sure to keep up with that remedy:yep:

This does. It has advanced polymers and other stuff in it. Sorry I never came back to this thread, but it's a good product. I just can never remember to use it consistently because I have so much stuff at home :wallbash:

Remember to use it lightly, focusing on the last 2 or so inches of the hair. I apply it after leave-in but before PM skinny serum for my rollersets. If you become heavy handed with it, it may leave your ends a teeny bit cruncy after rollersets. Consistency is key with this.

Good luck trying it out ladies :up:

Edit: If the hair is splitting, it'll help it from getting worse. But if the hair is already split, I think the only thing that will remedy it is scissors.

Yay! Thanks so much for the review. I ordered some the other night so I can't wait to try it :grin:

yeah my mind cant wrap around something mending them, prevention yes, but not mending, nothing but them scissors remedy them

and I make sure to keep up with that remedy:yep:

This product did make my ends smooth and soft, however, the splits were still there. I may revisit it for prevention purposes.

I alternate between giovanni direct and joico split end mender. they give me basically the same results but giovanni is thicker and smells better. joico - i really just use from the ears down - i like the name and would hope to assume its really helping my hair avoid splits but i cant really tell. Im not sure if i should repurchase - im pretty much scraping the bottle right now - b/c giovanni seems to work as well and you get more for the price - hmmmm... interested in any other reviews.

Back