I wish I could transition to natural with no BC...anyone 4B transition with no BC?

DreamLife

I'm 4b relaxed BONE STRAIGHT...I know, I know...and recently I have been playing with the idea of transitioning to natural. I have come to the much overdue realization that I cannot get past between SL and APL with my stylist and I'm letting her go. So I was going to learn how to self relax and try to transition to texlax. But then I'm like I should just go natural. The last time I tried, I went 6 months in 06' without a relaxer and it was just HORRIBLE. I just broke down and got a relaxer.

Any 4B's transition to natural without the BC. I already had a BC before the forum and I just don't want to cut it all off again.

Last edited:
Re: I wish I could transition to natural with no BC...anyone 4B transition with no BC

I went from relaxed to natural before they had hairboards way back in 1986 and again in 1994. I didn't know what to do so I wore braids and cut off little by little until it was all gone. I couldn't do a BC because I don't have a face for short hair, my face is too narrow.

Re: I wish I could transition to natural with no BC...anyone 4B transition with no BC

I didn't transition w/o a BC, but like you I didn't want to start off with short (well, super-short that is) hair. I did a long-term transition instead. I intended to go 2 years but I eventually BC-ed at 10 months. It wasn't really because I couldn't handle it anymore; it's just that I couldn't wait to be natural.

I believe 4B's can transition w/o a BC, but it gets EXTREMELY tough as the highly textured hair grows in and fights against the bone straight hair. You may get to a point where it's either hide your hair under wigs/extensions or spend hours making the two textures work. How about a long-term transition? Maybe transition until your natural hair is SL stretched?

The easiest way would be to grown & glory it for two years, and trim everytime you got your braids redone.

Otherwise, I think the demarcation line would drive you crazy.

I'm a 4A but I thought I'd just encourage you in your decision. I did a really long transition and buns, low manipulation, and moisture pretty much got me through it.

I'm a 3c/4a mix here to encourage you. I have BCd far too many times than I care to remember.:lachen: If you are ready to transition, you will know it. Alot of info is here to help you. What is helping me to still my doubts is my daily scalp massage. It helps me to get familiar with my texture and to it really help me to learn how to love my natural hair. It took me 8 years to learn how to flat twist, so I'm not really a hair guru.:rolleyes: I hope you are successful no matter what you choose to do.

I guess I'll start stretching and just see how much I can handle it. Maybe I'll transition to texlaxed, I think the main thing I want to be able to do is wash and go's. I just wish I knew about the forum before I BC'd the last time!:wallbash:

I transitioned with no BC and I'm 4b. I did this before finding LHCF. I'm probably one of the only women who did this successfully! I transitioned by keeping my hair straight. I wore my hair straight 100% of the time, mostly going to the Dominicans (again, not many people can or would do this!). I would go to them every other week, and wrap my hair at night. Using no heat in between. If my hair started looking bad before my next salon visit, I would just pull it up in a ponytail. I just gradually got my ends trimmed until all of the relaxed ends were gone. It wasn't until LHCF that I learned all of the other ways that people transition.

Hey DreamLife,

The first time round I did the BC and was sad for many months.
This time round I did mini chops. I just couldn't do it, I was around my waist...so I just cut about 4" every few months and kept it protected and now 23 months later I'm all natural and at APL. It's doable but some of the relaxed ends do need to go as you progress UNLESS you keep it straight. The two textures together could drive you mad...lol...

Good luck :)

Last edited:

im transitioning but i was just posting to say also sewin weaves are good thats what i used part of my transition. i most likely when keep applying sew in weaves for growth.

DreamLife, you should check out MissMarie's fotki.

Caligirl is another member here who did a long transition. I think she's 4a.

My hair was relaxed bone straight for years, up until 6 months ago. I plan on doing a long-term transition. Honestly I'm not sure whether I'm 4a, 4b, or both.

I transitioned with no BC and I'm 4b. I did this before finding LHCF. I'm probably one of the only women who did this successfully! I transitioned by keeping my hair straight. I wore my hair straight 100% of the time, mostly going to the Dominicans (again, not many people can or would do this!). I would go to them every other week, and wrap my hair at night. Using no heat in between. If my hair started looking bad before my next salon visit, I would just pull it up in a ponytail. I just gradually got my ends trimmed until all of the relaxed ends were gone. It wasn't until LHCF that I learned all of the other ways that people transition.

Wow...you gave me some hope! I went to the dominicans over the summer when I was in MD...so the high heat and blowouts didn't damage your hair? Or did you just get the new growth blown out? Did you do the trims yourself? Sorry so many questions...

Thanks everyone else who responded, you all have me really considering transitioning now...

ok i can totally relate.... i was bone straight and colored my hair that it broke really bad.... i went naturally by mistake lol. i didnt like the breakage so i started wearing braids... all types. i would leave the braids in for like 2-3 months (washing and moisturizing while they were in). everytime i wud get my braids done over i wud start cutting off the relaxer hair. it was easy for me to kno where to cut becuz the colored hair was the relaxed hair. in this case it will be the relaxed bone straight hair that u will be gradually cutting off. if i had to wear my hair out for something i cud by jus takin out my braids and doin a press so it wud look like colored ends. but that is how i transistioned. however i was only natural for 2 yrs... recently went bak to tex-laxed. if u dont wear braids then try sew-ins. if u still dont wanna do that then try doing curly styles so the new growth wont look so bad with the relaxed hair and gradually trim them off. hope this helped

i'm a 4B and i successfully transitioned in 2005-2006, then relaxed now i'm transitioning again in 2008.

the 1st time i flat ironed my roots, corn rowed and did crown and glory for about 2 months. every 8-12 weeks i got my hair trimmed till all of the relaxed part was gone.

this time i'm not using any heat, i'm only doing cornrows or flat twists and not trimming at all. the day or two before my weekly or bi-weekly shampoo i curl my ends on perm rods, take the cornrows out and wear the waves.

trust me you can do it.

my stylist recommends hair weaves until your real hair is all natural, i just did not want to pay the high prices of weaves but he said it is probably the best and healthiest way to transition.

some of the ladies here do all kinds of wigs, falls, half-wigs, etc.

try a lot of different things until you find what works for you. there will be some moments of frustration but you WILL get past those as they don't last long.

you'll be fine & you are going to have fun, trust me. in the end you will be happy with your patience and perseverance.
:yep:

I have done it before with braids. I just kept getting it re-braided every 2 weeks until all of the permed ends were gone. It took a couple of years.

I'm thinking now, I might transition to texlaxed, I just don't know, it depends on how it goes...

You will eventually have to cut off the relaxed hair eventually or it will break off. Most people would rather be in control and cut before it breaks off. Good luck with the long transition.

I personally have done mini chops through time. My hair was mid-length and then I bobbed it. about 3 month's later she cut it as short as she could by giving me a bob again. I lst about two inches there. Then in May she cut it again and then I just got it cut again about three weeks ago and se relayered my hair and I lost about an 1 1/2 - 2 inches that way. I actually flat iron my hair once a week and the summer has been so tough for me since I am not all natural yet. My good news however is that the back of my hair is all natural and the front is half and half. Girl it is a trying time, but it's worth it. If there is a way to do no or low manipulation I say do it. Good luck!

I went from relaxed to natural before they had hairboards way back in 1986 and again in 1994. I didn't know what to do so I wore braids and cut off little by little until it was all gone. I couldn't do a BC because I don't have a face for short hair, my face is too narrow.

I transitioned the same way.

No, you are not the only one. I'm 4b and "transitioned" without a "bc". I did not know these terms back when I went natural. I just stopped getting a relaxer and started pressing. Sometimes I wore braids. After some time I had no more relaxed hair left. I think some of the times I got my hair pressed they trimmed it, but the goal was not even in my mind to get rid of my relaxer. I had often done this when I had a relaxer, go long periods and just press instead of getting a fresh relaxer. So by the time I decided I wanted to wear my hair kinky, it was pretty much all natural anyway. However, the texture is not 100% what it is like now. There were no straight parts anywhere, afro everywhere, but it was like all my hair was just a bit less kinky.

No, you are not the only one. I'm 4b and "transitioned" without a "bc". I did not know these terms back when I went natural. I just stopped getting a relaxer and started pressing. Sometimes I wore braids. After some time I had no more relaxed hair left. I think some of the times I got my hair pressed they trimmed it, but the goal was not even in my mind to get rid of my relaxer. I had often done this when I had a relaxer, go long periods and just press instead of getting a fresh relaxer. So by the time I decided I wanted to wear my hair kinky, it was pretty much all natural anyway. However, the texture is not 100% what it is like now. There were no straight parts anywhere, afro everywhere, but it was like all my hair was just a bit less kinky.
I hope that I'll be able to do this!

Back