I WANT TO TRY HENNA, BUT THE HAIR COLOR I USE SAYS I CAN'T USE HENNA W. THE COLOR

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am confused. The semi perm color I use says I have to grow out the hair color before using henna. I am unsure whether henna is better for my hair. Can the henna gurus please help.

DDTexlaxed

I had semi permanent color and I ended up Henna/Indigo'ing over top of it with Body Art Quality Henna for African American & Chemically Treated Hair.

I am also relaxed.

Worked like a Charm and I haven't looked back at Bottled Color.

im not a henna guru but why dont you try calling the 1-800 number for questions and ask them why you cant use it?

I thought it was ok as long as you use body art quality henna but I'm no expert. I have permanent color in my hair (to cover the gray) and used henna. I'm sure the experts will chime in.

Some have used it with great results. I think the issue is that they are saying they're not responsible for the color outcome if you use their product over henna'd hair since henna leaves red deposits behind. I've seen bad results and I've seen good. I personally wouldn't chance it.

I've been researching henna for my mother and I found this on hennaforhair.com

Compound henna does NOT play nice with commercial hair dye and other chemical residue in hair.

People who have itching, blisters, or serious allergic reactions to para-phenylenediamine hair dyes often want to change over to henna hair dyes.

Compound henna often reacts badly with synthetic hair dyes and other chemical hair products! If you use compound henna soon after you have done your hair with para-phenylenediamine dyes, your hair may be brittle, trashed, and may turn frog butt green or offshore sewage outlet black. Compound hennas have metallic salts which react disasterously with the ammonia in synthetic hair dye. Problem is ... many pre-mixed henna powders do NOT have these ingredients listed!

Body art quality henna can be used over commercial hair dye and other chemical residue in hair.

Body art quality henna does not have metallic salts, and can be applied over synthetic dyes! How do you know if you've got body art quality henna? Know your supplier! Mehandi, and the other suppliers listed at Henna for Hair Suppliers have body art quality henna!

The only way to find out if YOUR henna will cooperate with YOUR chemical residue from synthetic hair products is to TRY SOME. Harvest hair from your hairbrush, mix up a sample of henna and try it. What's in some henna products that reacts badly with synthetic hair dye? Here's the low down and dirty about what's in some of these products!

I have called one of those 800 numbers and they say absolutly no henna. From what I understand henna deposits color. it dosn;t lighten or change the color of you hair like a semi permanent. I have henna'ed a lot but stopped because my hair wasn't getting red wnough for me. From what i remember from your past threads(about you waning to keep your hair routine simple), I wouldn't do it

Not a guru...but, definitely a henna freak... =) You should be able to use henna that is body art quality with no issues. I am texlaxed & also had colored my hair with Bigen prior to using henna and it did nothing other than leave my hair strong and thick. I think you would really like the benefits. Just try doing it with some "harvested hair from your brush" like mehandi.com suggests.

Good luck!

Back