I want to swin in the ocean!!??!

L.Mo.

Hi everyone! I'm glad I found this forum. I posted this question on another website too...

I'm going to the Caribbean with my boyfriend and I know that he will want to swim in the ocean. Usually when I go, I put my hair up in a ponytail and don't get it wet. I want to have fun this time. I don't plan to go in the hotel's pool. How bad is salt water for relaxed hair? If I get it wet everyday, can I wash it everyday?

I was thinking of:
1) using conditioner before going in (I've got all types!)
2) Then washing with K-Pak shampoo
3) I'm even willing to sleep with olive oil in my hair. Any comments?

(Disclaimer: The following words spoken by one who has no degree in the subject but is simply trying her hand at logic.)

Salt is a drying agent. So if there's something that can drain every ounce of moisture from your hair it's salt. With that said, if there is a way to first moisturize your hair, then layer it with something that will create a barrier to salt water (Castor oil, a silicone product...come to mind) even to the point of making it icky-sticky, you just might get away with having fun in the sea without worrying about your hair. But...and this is where I'd like a Chemist to step in...would brine (salt in water...or is it sodium hydrochloride?
tongue.gif
) react with the product you are using as a seal and create something harmful????

Oh and after layering your hair like that, I'd still wrap my hair in Saran wrap and wear a Speedo latex or silicon swim cap.
smile.gif

You should give John Frieda Life Preserver Oil a try.It is made specifically for swimming in salt or pool water and it works great to protect hair from the sun.(Smells great too!)

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
(Disclaimer: The following words spoken by one who has no degree in the subject but is simply trying her hand at logic.)

Salt is a drying agent. So if there's something that can drain every ounce of moisture from your hair it's salt. With that said, if there is a way to first moisturize your hair, then layer it with something that will create a barrier to salt water (Castor oil, a silicone product...come to mind) even to the point of making it icky-sticky, you just might get away with having fun in the sea without worrying about your hair. But...and this is where I'd like a Chemist to step in...would brine (salt in water...or is it sodium hydrochloride?
tongue.gif
) react with the product you are using as a seal and create something harmful????

Oh and after layering your hair like that, I'd still wrap my hair in Saran wrap and wear a Speedo latex or silicon swim cap.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to take a water aerobics class at my gym but I've been afraid to do so because of the cholrine(sp?) in the water. Would the same methods you shared apply to cholrine water as well as salt water?

What would you do to your hair after it's been in the water? Would a conditioner wash be a good idea?

If I were you, I would put my hair in braids and rinse hair daily after swimming. When your hair is in braids you will have no worries about styling your hair.

Mikki, yes, I believe I'd do the same for swimming in a chlorinated pool. Afterwards, I would do a wash with a swimmer's shampoo to remove all the stuff I put on my hair so that it's easy to moisturize and to remove any chlorine that may have gotten into my hair by accident. Then I'd follow the wash with a deep conditioning treatment.

Conditioner washes are great to keep your hair in good condition, but I'd want to make sure I've removed any bad stuff before working on the "maintaining good condition" part. Plus if your hair is already layered with "impenetrable" stuff, then the conditioner won't get through to do its good, so it's best to "clarify" first.

Again, this is just what I would do it. Maybe someone who's an avid swimmer may have better advice.

i used to be a lifeguard and my hair was actually longer and thicker then. some things that helped my hair and helped to prevent damage:
wet your hair thoroughly before getting in the water. this makes your hair saturated so it can't soak up anything else including the saltwater.

also using an oil like katie advised after wetting.

you could wear a cap.

do not let your hair dry after getting out of pool or ocean. if you do bc of extenuating circumstances, do not manipulate your hair. try to rinse your hair while its still wet from the ocean or pool and put in a creamy conditioner and leave it there. i always had conditioner in my hair when i was a lifeguard. if you can see the cond. in your hair rinse a little bit on top and apply more to the ends.

avoid tangles by keeping your hair in braids or plaits while swimming. i used to do two and my coworkers called me pocohontas bc i always wore my hair like this.

I agree with caralexis2005. I was in the carribean in May and my hair was beautiful. I went and swam in the sea almost everyday...this is what I did:

Wet my hair with fresh water and coat with aloevera gel, put in ponytail, bun or whatever. Do not leave loose or it will tangle. After swimming rinse with fresh water for an ample amount of time to get the sand and salt. Then use a swimmers shampoo and deep condition.

After swimming and showering I would put my creamy conditioner in my hair, bun it and then go out. The heat in the air and the conditioner worked well together.

I wouldn't recommend wearing braids or cornrows unless you were going to undo them each time you came out of the sea. It is hard to get all the sand and salt out of the hair when it is braided.

Also, don't be afraid to wear a cap...When I was there the local ladies even wore regular old shower caps when the were bathing in the sea. They didn't worry about looking cute and the ones that used the shower caps had some pretty nice hair when they came out of the sea and took off those shower caps.

Nioxin Bionutrient Cleanser in 1c is specifically made for chemically treated and dry hair. It effectively removes DHT, chlorine and other pollutants from hair while leaving it soft and manageable. I also follow up with Nioxin Scalp Therapy. Good luck.

[ QUOTE ]
caramelbarbie said:
Great post! I'll be saving this one. I can't swim yet but I've always wondered how i would care for my hair if i was a swimmer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, I'll remember all this the next time I'm on vacation or chose to take swimming lessons
smile.gif

BTW, thanks so much for everyone's help!! I'm excited to go... instead of worried about keeping my head above water! I leave tomorrow -- I just need to find my bikinis and make one more trip to the BSS!!

I'll let you all know how my hair turned out!

newbie.gif

I just got back from a cruise to the Caymans and Cozumel and I just applied a conditioner and pulled my hair back in a bun before getting in the ocean. Afterwards, I washed and conditioned my hair.

[ QUOTE ]
brownrelaxedhair said:
[ QUOTE ]
caramelbarbie said:
Great post! I'll be saving this one. I can't swim yet but I've always wondered how i would care for my hair if i was a swimmer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, I'll remember all this the next time I'm on vacation or chose to take swimming lessons
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
Great advice - one of my friends is going to teach me how to swim when we go on holiday in 2 weeks so I'll have to print this info.

I thought that it was sea water with salts and such. But then I am talking about the Caribbean Sea. I was there last year and the salt water has to be washed out well and your hair conditioned and moisturized well after each sea visit. Are you talking about a different body of water? Hope this helps. Bonjour.

[ QUOTE ]
Jessy55 said:
Great thread, great advices. I'll be swimming this summer, so this will come in handy. Thanks, ladies!

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto
smile.gif

Back