I want my hair flatironed!

inthepink

Please help me make a decision. I would like to straighten my hair within the next month but I can’t decide if I want to do it myself or go to a salon. I have pros and cons for both:

Pros for Salon:
• Will definitely come out straight and swingy
• The stylist is recommended and I’ve seen her work on a friend

Cons for Salon
• I worry they won’t be gentle with my tangly transitioning hair and I don’t want to have to tell someone how to do their job (or take the comb away and do it myself!)
• I worry that I could end up with more breakage. Every time I go to the salon, I find a section of breakage in my hair within a week.
• Will use more heat (blowdrying and then flatironing OR sitting under dryer and then flatironing)
• I think I would be pressured into getting a trim when I don’t need one

Pros for Self-Straightening:
• I know I can be gentle with my own hair
• I know I will use less heat than a stylist (airdrying and then flatironing)
• I won’t have to worry about trimming

Cons for Self-Straightening
• I may not be able to do as good of a job as a stylist
• I’d have to purchase a flatiron which would cost more than a trip to the stylist

What to do??

Well, if you add it all up (the Pros and Cons), it sounds to me like you need to get yourself a flat iron and try doing it yourself!! In time, you'd probably be able to do a pretty good job, and you will be more gentle on your hair than anyone else.

Every now and then I consider having a pro press my hair, but I think to myself, "Ain't nobody gonna treat my hair like I do. And I don't want to be mad if someone else messes my hair up."

Since you have more pros and less cons on the self-straightening side, I say do it yourself. The flat iron will pay for itself in the long run (cost less than going to the salon every time you want your hair straightened).

I say invest in an iron and do it yourself...there are plenty of good products and advice out there to help you. It's also a time and money saver...the next time you want to wear your hair straight, you'll have everything you need at home to do it yourself. I only go to the salon for a relaxer every 3 months, everything else is done at home. I prefer the way my hair turns out when I do it, not that my stylist doen't do a good job. Anyhow, I say invest in a good ceramic flat iron and do it yourself. Don't worry about the cost, it'll pay for itself over time with the trips you'll save to the salon.

I think you are correct in saying a stylist wont take as much time with your 2 textures of hair. Transitioning is hard thing to do, and something most stylists wont even support. Therefore, they wont understand or care about the damage they may do by not treating gently. They will only hear that you want it straight, and that is most likely all they will do. Also most stylists see transitioners as an annoyance because they know you won't be coming to them as often and putting money in their pockets. Unless you find a very special person who is concerned about health of hair, you may want to try it yourself. Hope everything works out.

Or maybe even if you purchase a flat iron and have a trusted friend with skills at using it to press your hair for you. i do this with my sister for trims. She is the ONLY person i let "clean up my stray ends" like once every 9 months or so. -- jainygirl

It just takes practice, I have a Jibere Ceramic iron and natural hair, and I can get my hair to look just as nice as a salon does doing it myself/with very little damage if any. I have a hard time letting ANYONE who is not me do my hair. I think you should invest in a good flat iron, and straighten away!

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Since you have more pros and less cons on the self-straightening side, I say do it yourself. The flat iron will pay for itself in the long run (cost less than going to the salon every time you want your hair straightened).

[/ QUOTE ]
ITA!
smile.gif

Allandra,

You hit the nail right on the head! Also, if you do decide to purchase a flat iron, get one that had wide plates. I purchased a 1" Jilbere ceramic iron back in October of last year and it did a pretty good job. I just recently purchased another JIlbere ceramic iron that has wider plates now that my hair is getting longer ( yeah! ). My hair is pretty thick and the longer it gets, the more time it takes to style. The wider plates will give me more coverage than my one inch, thus taking less time complete entire head of hair.

Also, make sure that the iron you choose has an adjustable thermostat control setting.

BTW, Hairlove, you take such great care of your hair that I can see this ( styling it yourself ) as being only a minor challenge for you.
smile.gif
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I say please do it yourself- then you are assured that your hair will be babyed and pampered more then someone else will.

I agree w/everyone, do it yourself. I washed and flat ironed my hair this morning. It doesn't look as straight as when the stylist does it, but I didn't flat iron it bone straight so it has a lot of body and looks full. I bought a 1" ceramic coated flat iron from JCPenney that was $40. Its not a CHI but my hair feels the same as when the stylist did it with her CHI.

I say do it yourself too. you could even try rollersetting then flatironing.
Make sure you get a flatiron with heat settings and try low and go higher if needed (it will glide through the hair when hot enough).
*Major Pro: If you decide you don't like the flatiron or doing it yourself, you can keep your receipt and return/exchange the flatiron.
You can't return/exchange damaged hair though.
smile.gif

They have some nice ceramic CHI flat irons on ebay. I just purchased the CHI turbo 2in wide flat iron for $79.00. In the store it's $180.00!

Thanks for the opinions everyone! I think you've all got me convinced that I should just do it myself! I may not get perfect results the first time but I should be able to get better with time.

Now, I need to purchase a ceramic flat iron. I am struggling between buying the chi iron from ebay which I won't be able to return if something is wrong it though it is a better quality iron. OR buying the Jilbere ceramic iron from Sally's which I can return if it doesn't work. I am leaning towards the Jilbere iron. If it doesn't work well, I can always return it and then buy the Chi.

Any flatironing tips that anyone would like to share? I want "swinging" hair - not greasy and flat.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Thanks for the opinions everyone! I think you've all got me convinced that I should just do it myself! I may not get perfect results the first time but I should be able to get better with time.

Now, I need to purchase a ceramic flat iron. I am struggling between buying the chi iron from ebay which I won't be able to return if something is wrong it though it is a better quality iron. OR buying the Jilbere ceramic iron from Sally's which I can return if it doesn't work. I am leaning towards the Jilbere iron. If it doesn't work well, I can always return it and then buy the Chi.

Any flatironing tips that anyone would like to share? I want "swinging" hair - not greasy and flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairlove,

The return policy on eBay depends on the seller. I bought a 1" CHI (haven't used it yet
wink.gif
) and when I turned it on it didn't heat up. I emailed the seller and he quickly took it back and sent one that actually heats up.

The best thing to do when buying on eBay is check the feedback of the seller and email them about the return policy.

I agree with everybody else, try flatironing yourself.I used to go to a salon (for natural hair only)to get my hair trimmed. I didn't like the fact that she blow-dried hair prior to trimming, so I started going in with my hair already washed, conditioned, detangled, and mostly dry. The stylist immediately saw what I did, commented on it (not in a negative fashion) and proceeded to trim my hair. The only reason I stopped going is because when I do get trims now (last one was last August) I get my SIL to do it for free.
smile.gif

Now - if you ever feel like pampering yourself and want to go to a salon, maybe you could talking to the stylist and then come in with your hair already washed, detangles, and airdried. The stylist would only have to flat iron it.
smile.gif

Get yourself a CHI original ceramic flatiron. That thing is the da bomb and IMO is a very good investment. I went to the hair salon last week and saw a hairdresser use this iron to straighten someone who had natural 4a/b hair, and it looked relaxed after she was done with it. After seeing that, I knew I had to have one of my own. This flatiron makes my hair stay straight for days without my hair reverting. It's expensive but it's worth it!

Oh...one more thing, you might want to stick to the 1" plate flatiron, eventhough you have long hair. I've heard mixed reviews about the 2" plate. The 1" is smaller and allows you to get closer to the scalp.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely don't use a whole lot of greasy type products (to avoid greasy / flat hair). IMO, the best way to get "swinging" hair is to get a roller set and then wrap. This works best for my hair rather than a flat iron. I know you've mentioned that you've never roller set, but have you ever thought about giving it a try? Practice does make perfect. I'm going to roller set tomorrow evening.

[ QUOTE ]
simone103 said:
Oh...one more thing, you might want to stick to the 1" plate flatiron, eventhough you have long hair. I've heard mixed reviews about the 2" plate. The 1" is smaller and allows you to get closer to the scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I remember hearing the same thing...getting a 1" will help me reach my scalp a lot easier. The 2inch ones seem so clunky! Thanks for confirming.

Asha - have you found the 2inch to be easy to work with?

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely don't use a whole lot of greasy type products (to avoid greasy / flat hair). IMO, the best way to get "swinging" hair is to get a roller set and then wrap. This works best for my hair rather than a flat iron. I know you've mentioned that you've never roller set, but have you ever thought about giving it a try? Practice does make perfect. I'm going to roller set tomorrow evening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Allandra - I don't even think I have the patience to ever try rollersetting again. And with my wavy/curly natural hair now, I just don't expect decent results esp being a novice! I think flatironing is my only real option for straight hair right now. I'm sure it looks lovely on your hair though!

Well, I decided to pick up the Jilbere ceramic iron from Sally's a little while ago though I probably won't use it right away. I confirmed that I can return it should it not work well or snag my hair. The one I got is called "Jilbere Ceramic Tools Porcelain Series - Commercial Grade Porcelain Ceramic Professional Curved Plate Iron." The plates are 1inch and they are slightly curved. I could have gotten an uncurved one but I thought the curve might be interesting so I struggled and finally decided to buy it. Does anyone know the difference between regular ceramic and porcelain ceramic? They both cost the same at Sally's.

It is this model:
345821.jpg

And this size:
345360.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If you rollerset, you won't have to use a lot of heat or have limp greasy hair.

Do it yourself, it's really easy!! Ever since I bought a Jilbere I have saved so much time and money w/going to a salon. I know I'm going to always do my hair to my satisfaction. I'm so good the girls at work think I go to the salon to get it done everyweek. NOT!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

Yes, I remember hearing the same thing...getting a 1" will help me reach my scalp a lot easier. The 2inch ones seem so clunky! Thanks for confirming.

Asha - have you found the 2inch to be easy to work with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only used the 2" once and here was my take on it and the few pics that follow:

http://public.fotki.com/Seoul/a_seoulful_journey!/2003!/october_2003/flatiro2003_1017ao.html

ETA: Changed my mind after much thought!!
laugh.gif

I mentioned before that I loved how it worked, but didn't like all of the bulk within my hands. Again, after looking at both irons, I guess the reason I purchased the larger width was due mainly to wanting to cut down on styling time. More than likely, I will be returning it, because I really don't use it for straigtening anyway. This conclusion was reached after talking it over with my confidant...my dh! He's like, do you use it to straighten your hair or just to loosen the curls you already have? Thank goodness he asked this question, because it definitely played a part in the decision making process for me on which iron to keep. I don't use it to straighten, so I'll be taking the larger width back to Sally's tomorrow.

Asha,

Your hair came out really nicely with the flatironing. I will give my 1 inch a try and see how it goes. I am glad to have 90 days to try it out! Thanks for the information.

Hairlove,

I have changed my mind. See my post prior to your last and no I'm not crazy, just trying to make things a little easier is all.

Take care,

Asha

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Asha,

Your hair came out really nicely with the flatironing. I will give my 1 inch a try and see how it goes. I am glad to have 90 days to try it out! Thanks for the information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi HairLove,

I flat ironed my natural hair this morning. I used about 2 tblsp. shea butter and 1/2 tsp. sweet almond oil, heated it in the microwave for a few seconds and whipped it up. Added to each section of my hair, from root to ends before I flat ironed that section. My hair came out great. My daughter with permed hair tried it too and her hair is soooo shiny and bouncy. Give it a try and see how it comes out on your hair.

As far as a flat iron I use the Unil/SuperStar flat iron that goes up to 400F. I love that iron.

HTH

Sounds great, Necie. I am going to try this Biosilk Therapy (generic) from Sally's that I bought along with my flatiron and see what results I get. I will probably do it sometime this week or next weekend.

Asha - thanks for the update.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Sounds great, Necie. I am going to try this Biosilk Therapy (generic) from Sally's that I bought along with my flatiron and see what results I get. I will probably do it sometime this week or next weekend.

Asha - thanks for the update.

[/ QUOTE ]

cant wait to seee
clap.gif

btw im glad you decided to do it yourself...this was my struggle for years..."do it myself?" or " go to the shop" and believe it or not this was a very deep involved decision making process everytime...the pros, the cons, the cons, the pros, racked my brain everytime lol....its just been since the end of last year that i finally have it down so well that i dont think i will be going to get it done again.

Back