I want my hair flatironed!

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
cant wait to seee
clap.gif

btw im glad you decided to do it yourself...this was my struggle for years..."do it myself?" or " go to the shop" and believe it or not this was a very deep involved decision making process everytime...the pros, the cons, the cons, the pros, racked my brain everytime lol....its just been since the end of last year that i finally have it down so well that i dont think i will be going to get it done again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irresistible - that is exactly what I have been going through for the past month or so. Should I go to the stylist? Should I do it myself? I think I will feel better doing it myself. When relaxed, I finally learned how to do my hair myself in between touch-ups and I'd look just as if I came from the salon. So, this flatironing will take some practice but I will get it right.

I tested it out last night, and it isn't very difficult to use at all even not being able to see the back of my head. I may invest in a mirror for that.

How did you conquer learning how to trim your ends? This is something I don't know how to do but I know there are a couple of websites on methods. I may eventually get to that point. I am considering for June when I want a trim to even things up - that I will still straighten my hair myself and go to Mastercuts for a trim! LOL The tangles would be a nightmare for someone who doesn't have the patience.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
cant wait to seee
clap.gif

btw im glad you decided to do it yourself...this was my struggle for years..."do it myself?" or " go to the shop" and believe it or not this was a very deep involved decision making process everytime...the pros, the cons, the cons, the pros, racked my brain everytime lol....its just been since the end of last year that i finally have it down so well that i dont think i will be going to get it done again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irresistible - that is exactly what I have been going through for the past month or so. Should I go to the stylist? Should I do it myself? I think I will feel better doing it myself. When relaxed, I finally learned how to do my hair myself in between touch-ups and I'd look just as if I came from the salon. So, this flatironing will take some practice but I will get it right.

I tested it out last night, and it isn't very difficult to use at all even not being able to see the back of my head. I may invest in a mirror for that.

How did you conquer learning how to trim your ends? This is something I don't know how to do but I know there are a couple of websites on methods. I may eventually get to that point. I am considering for June when I want a trim to even things up - that I will still straighten my hair myself and go to Mastercuts for a trim! LOL The tangles would be a nightmare for someone who doesn't have the patience.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i was relaxed, and transitioning there were always shorter peices from my crown and front that just never grew to all one legnth, so i had to go to the hairdresser for trims, so he could lift my hair up and get those areas...but sometimes i would still trim on my own while i was transitioning by putting my hair in pony tails and trimming the ends that way, i know they werent even but i was getting the damage off, it took years for my crown to grow right and even out...now its all one legnth so i can just section my hair in four parts...two on each side in the front and two on each side in the back, and just trim each of those sections. your hair is defintitely long enough to do it like that. and whatever trouble spots (if you have any) just lift those up and trim..i had to do that for years and not care about layers and uneveness just to get the damage off. my daughter has never had a professional trim , im the only one that has ever trimmed her hair but her hair has always been all one legnth with no trouble spots that make it hard. but girl you can trim your hair, and this is another area that its just best to get control over yourself instead of relying on others. you can do it.

Thanks Irresistible. I think this is going to be something else that I may eventually force myself to learn to do. In the meantime, I am considering straightening myself and then going to a cheapie place like Supercuts for a trim.

Have you ever seen this site?
How to Trim Your Own Hair

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Thanks Irresistible. I think this is going to be something else that I may eventually force myself to learn to do. In the meantime, I am considering straightening myself and then going to a cheapie place like Supercuts for a trim.

Have you ever seen this site?
How to Trim Your Own Hair

[/ QUOTE ]

I just checked it out, funny its pretty much how i do it (and nobody told me lol) when i have the two sections in the back...i comb them out and get the hair tight between my fingers pulling all the way down to the ends while its still in the back of my head...then while holding it between my fingers tight, i pull it forward and trim....the two sides in the front..i hold straight to the side and trim , then pull them a little forward and trim...its easy...and its good to never trust anyone with a pair of scissors on your hair if you dont have to.

[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Any flatironing tips that anyone would like to share? I want "swinging" hair - not greasy and flat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely don't use a whole lot of greasy type products (to avoid greasy / flat hair). IMO, the best way to get "swinging" hair is to get a roller set and then wrap. This works best for my hair rather than a flat iron. I know you've mentioned that you've never roller set, but have you ever thought about giving it a try? Practice does make perfect. I'm going to roller set tomorrow evening.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If you rollerset, you won't have to use a lot of heat or have limp greasy hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA with this statement.
Roller sets give me bouncy hair. I think you should roller set first and then use a flat iron to get your hair extra straight. I just posted pics of my Dominican blowout & it didn't turn out exactly the way that I wanted it to but my hair did get pretty straight without damaging my ends.

Roller setting your hair first will cut down on the time you spend using direct heat to get your hair straight.

Let us know what you decide to do and be sure to post pictures.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone!

I think my plan is to wash and condition my hair as usual and to let it airdry in two braids. I will try using less Hair Milk than usual so my hair is not so greasy. Then, once it's dry, I'll flatiron. My hair seems to straighten out easily so hopefully eliminating the blowdryer and only using one source of heat (the flation) will not be too detrimental to my hair.

Thanks for the advice also on rollersetting but it is just not something I even want to attempt!
crazy.gif
I have absolutely no skills at it and don't know if I ever will.
confused.gif
I praise those of you who can do it!

Back