I thought I was divorced, but may not be!

natural_one

My ex-husband(?) and I filed for divorce back in 2006 while we were stationed overseas in Japan. The attorney we went through was recommended by the legal office on base so we figured he was reputable. Well, I just moved back to the states and decided to get a copy of all my records just to have, and come to find out the State of VA does not have a request for divorce from me and my ex husband!:burning: I dont know what is going on, the clerk there said she is going to investigate it further and call me next week.:crossfingers::crossfingers: I am so upset right now..I havent told my ex anything only because I want to be absolutely sure...:sad::sad::sad::sad:

Well, all you can do is wait and keep positive thoughts. Glad you didn't jump the gun with your ex before having all the details. I hope your outcome is the one you want. Keep us posted.

^^ Didn't even know you got one after.
Huh????? That is how you know you are divorced. You can't remarry unless you produce one to prove that your previous marriage ended.

I would never marry a guy that I know was previously married unless I have seen the divorce decree with my own eyes. Now some dudes lie and say they were never married and some freaks even may produce a fake divorce decree. Hey, at least I tried, I wouldn't been seen as a total arse.

I agree with Encore, I didnt know anything about a certificate either. I have never been divorced before so I didnt know the procedure. I am going to get this straightened out...I am very nervous...

I know you have paperwork showing the divorce is final, but I didnt know you got a Certificate either. Maybe some states do it diferent?

OP: Did the lawyer give you all any paperwork afterward?

yes he gave us paperwork, but it was a Japanese lawyer and all it said was that natural_one and ex husband are hereby divorced according to the civil law of Japan...i even asked him if this was enough, he said that he would send the paperwork to the states and we wouldnt have to do anything else...

Keep us updated. I really hope you are officially divorced or that it will be simple to finalize it here in America.

yes he gave us paperwork, but it was a Japanese lawyer and all it said was that natural_one and ex husband are hereby divorced according to the civil law of Japan...i even asked him if this was enough, he said that he would send the paperwork to the states and we wouldnt have to do anything else...

So you are divorced, you were divorced in Japan, no need to do anything additional in the states. I was married in the Bahamas. I didn't have to file anything in the US. I was divorced in PA and I don't have to file anything in the Bahamas. I was under the impression that your Japanese lawyer helped you file in your home state, that doesn't seem to be the case. Keep your marriage certificate and divorce decree (in Japanese) together. That is it.

Keep us updated. I really hope you are officially divorced or that it will be simple to finalize it here in America.

You don't have to do this. Why do you thing most "Stars" go to Mexico for quickie divorces? You don't have to file in the US. Take care of everything in Mexico.

You don't have to do this. Why do you thing most "Stars" go to Mexico for quickie divorces? You don't have to file in the US. Take care of everything in Mexico.

Well hopefully she won't have to worry about anything. Thanks for that information.

Back