"I thought every black girl's hair was fake.."

:lachen: OK that was funny

But yeah , I didn't see the movie, but the movie did take it to a whole other level , clearly because it reached new audiences. Prevelant and a whole movie claiming to be the 'whole truth' about us are totally different things. From what I understand he didn't really answer the question. But yeah when the whole world now feels freely with no recourse to now act like that movie was 'bible' about us and they were now 'privy' to knowing what we do with our hair across the board, as though its ALL we CAN do, speaking for black women as a whole, I would call it as ignorant as it truly is , like the ppl that will choose to believe it, it did not educate , not that weaves were ever a dark secret, but the tone of movie did seem to be all about what we do with our hair and what we feel about it , a movie can't speak for all of us, most of us understand that, but there are those that will believe it and do.....well even they will tell you they got the 411 on our hair from that movie, so not saying this without reason, I didn't need to see the movie, heard all about it here....gag.....we needed this like we needed a hole in our head. I do agree it was women doing a lot of the talking from what I understand in the movie......in that sense we ' so to speak' aired our laundry on the big screen, fed further into every person believing all of the hair on our heads are weaves. the movie was clearly coming from one perspective only, and it's going to make others feel what they feel, ppl are just frustrated I guess.

I do understand weaves are not a dark dirty secret
I do understand women getting offended when now while wearing only their own hair will be more openly and almost with permission (cause of the movie) accused of wearing a weave
I do understand that now when we speak about weaves negatively, because of the accusations such as was posted in the OP, that ladies that wear weaves will get offended

yeah we needed it like a hole in the head

See I didn't know that people took that movie as a representation of every black woman that has ever lived or ever will live in life ever ever.. WTH?
I guess I really don't understand that type of mindset because I'm nothing like that. I HATE stereotypes..I HATE sweeping generalizations. There is no statement that can aptly be applied to every member of any race/culture/creed/species..whatever. UGH...it just makes those types of people look extremely stupid to me. So I guess what I'm saying is, I'm more frustrated with the ppl that take an ignorant stance than at Chris Rock for making a film for what I truly believe he thought was an honest cause. It's like he put the movie out and people, as with anything else took what they wanted from the movie and ran with it..forming this opinion and that one..but he's not responsible for the bigger issue that lies beneath the surface. But your point is well taken my dear. For those who refuse to be rational and informed individuals, the movie did not help and only dug them deeper into the pit of cultural ignorance they were already wallowing in..but with the added bonus of them "thinking" they know a lil something and can speak with authority on our hair. I gotcha.

Let me ask you this though. Do you think that if there was a film about black hair and it was indeed educational and made sure to mention throughout that not all black women depend on weaves and various reasons why weaves or wigs are worn...and shared healthy haircare practices ect..it would be well received? Or would ppl still be mad because they feel like nobody should be allowed to see what's in their wig basket?

lol, that would've had more of an effect if the ones asking did any of those things. or if black folk didn't do all those things too, lol. Nah I usually just say that I'm not a representative of all black women. the usual 'we're not a monolith' thing and all that. besides believe it or not, a lot of non-black folk have no idea why black women straighten their hair. As far as they know we're the only race who a vast majority alter their texture, and so they get that sort of message

disclaimer: for the record i'm not saying anything about straightening, lol don't get me wrong, i am fine with it as a style choice. I'm just saying with things the way they are it is unsurprising that ignorant things are being said, especially when people are afraid to ask. Hell on a forum I was on the other day this one Indian woman mentioned how 'black women are obsessed with putting our hair on their heads'. I have nothing against weave but that sort of made me feel some type of way. (Their source? 'Good Hair', ...:ohwell:)

:nono: what a shame. i feel so many more people believe that. sad thing is, its partially true. ♥

:nono: what a shame. i feel so many more people believe that. sad thing is, its partially true. ♥

I know...I wanted to argue but I'm tired of being a ~representative~, plus what could I really say, lol. It was kind of true. :perplexed I just shrugged and KIM.

I know...I wanted to argue but I'm tired of being a ~representative~, plus what could I really say, lol. It was kind of true. :perplexed I just shrugged and KIM.

mmm...I think there's a chicken and and an egg thing going on with that statement. Maybe black women wouldn't be so obsessed with wearing their hair on our heads if they weren't so willing to grow it just to sell it...:look: No one's forcing them. I once heard, and I have no idea if this is true, as I'm not a weave wearer, but that the most sought after hair for wigs and weaves was coming from women in a village in Siberia, not India. So really, if it weren't Indian hair, it'd just be someone else... IDK :lol: That whole argument is a little :spinning:. I think you did the right thing, Rei.

But anyway - I'm with the "I don't care" ladies. Someone is always going to have an opinion or misguided impression about me, either for being a woman, being black, or both - or for some other reason.

My ancestors have a long history in this country of moving beyond the ignorant ideas others promoted or believed about them while they carved out successful, prosperous, and happy lives for themselves. I'm no different.

See I didn't know that people took that movie as a representation of every black woman that has ever lived or ever will live in life ever ever.. WTH?
I guess I really don't understand that type of mindset because I'm nothing like that. I HATE stereotypes..I HATE sweeping generalizations. There is no statement that can aptly be applied to every member of any race/culture/creed/species..whatever. UGH...it just makes those types of people look extremely stupid to me. So I guess what I'm saying is, I'm more frustrated with the ppl that take an ignorant stance than at Chris Rock for making a film for what I truly believe he thought was an honest cause. It's like he put the movie out and people, as with anything else took what they wanted from the movie and ran with it..forming this opinion and that one..but he's not responsible for the bigger issue that lies beneath the surface. But your point is well taken my dear. For those who refuse to be rational and informed individuals, the movie did not help and only dug them deeper into the pit of cultural ignorance they were already wallowing in..but with the added bonus of them "thinking" they know a lil something and can speak with authority on our hair. I gotcha.

Let me ask you this though. Do you think that if there was a film about black hair and it was indeed educational and made sure to mention throughout that not all black women depend on weaves and various reasons why weaves or wigs are worn...and shared healthy haircare practices ect..it would be well received? Or would ppl still be mad because they feel like nobody should be allowed to see what's in their wig basket?
Good question. I wish I could answer, but I can only take a guess , a large audience would not care about our healthy hair care practices , or the knowledge that is being gained about our hair today, we have youtube and the forum, lol but girl I don't know, I doubt it tho. I think that movie captured more people's attention and had more appeal because it was Chris Rock, and because it did seem to have the tone of telling on ourselves-ppl were more interested in seeing the means we would go through to have 'good hair' as though our hair is bad, instead of finding out or accepting that we do have 'good hair'.

Well I get weaved checked in buns..But,when I have my hair out (people touch & pull) that sort of thing makes me crazy...Black & White people do that ,,(are you mixed ? comes)..

TO EVERY-ONE JUST DO YOU! People are going to judge any-way....

OP:I understand your vent & thanks for sharing! Its good to talk things out....

Happy Hair Growing!

It's the join date. She's been a member since '06....you, July '10...which means she has seen this topic be discussed ad nauseum while it is new to you. There's a join date chasm! :lol: It always comes up in threads like these. Don't be offended. Just know that you too will one day be sick and tired of worrying what others think about your hair/regimen/dating preferences/politics/religion, as well. :yep:
Thanks but this is a forum..no? :lachen: and trust me i may have not been a member but i knew about this board way before july '10

Last edited:
mmm...I think there's a chicken and and an egg thing going on with that statement. Maybe black women wouldn't be so obsessed with wearing their hair on our heads if they weren't so willing to grow it just to sell it...:look: No one's forcing them. I once heard, and I have no idea if this is true, as I'm not a weave wearer, but that the most sought after hair for wigs and weaves was coming from women in a village in Siberia, not India. So really, if it weren't Indian hair, it'd just be someone else... IDK :lol: That whole argument is a little :spinning:. I think you did the right thing, Rei.

But anyway - I'm with the "I don't care" ladies. Someone is always going to have an opinion or misguided impression about me, either for being a woman, being black, or both - or for some other reason.

My ancestors have a long history in this country of moving beyond the ignorant ideas others promoted or believed about them while they carved out successful, prosperous, and happy lives for themselves. I'm no different.

For the most part the Indian women are NOT growing their hair just to sell it. They pull out their long locks by hand as part of a ritual they practice and it is collected...Apparently whoever is collecting it is the one doing business with buyers of Indian hair. The women had no idea their hair was being sold for major bucks. And when some found out they were highly upset..others didn't care. But they are not seeing a dime of the money made by the sale of their hair. I learned about this through a documentary..before "Good Hair" even came out.

^^Yeah I learned it on a documentary on the BBC called "whoose hair is it anyways?" presented by singer Jamelia to find out where weave comes from. She went to India and Russia and it wasn't only on black women.

What did he say that wasn't true? A lot, probably most, black women are wearing fake hair daily. People notice that.

Most wigs/weaves are easy to spot. It's usually too perfect in some way. Perfectly uniform curls all over that last all day. Too shiny, too black, or too thick.

IDK, maybe it's different with human hair wigs/weaves. Maybe those are the ones that I can't spot. But it's very easy to come to the conclusion that the majority of black women wear fake hair based on the number wearing the kind that are easy to spot.

Anyway, aren't most women here wearing fake hair on a regular basis as a protective style? People notice. No biggie.

I agree. I see a lot of black women wearing weaves, so I can understand why those two guys would make that assumption. And black people are just as ignorant towards each other about hair, especially if it's natural.

For the most part the Indian women are NOT growing their hair just to sell it. They pull out their long locks by hand as part of a ritual they practice and it is collected...Apparently whoever is collecting it is the one doing business with buyers of Indian hair. The women had no idea their hair was being sold for major bucks. And when some found out they were highly upset..others didn't care. But they are not seeing a dime of the money made by the sale of their hair. I learned about this through a documentary..before "Good Hair" even came out.

That's so unfortunate. I have to check out that documentary.

Last edited:
So today im at work, and this Hispanic and Asian guy decided to make a comment pertaining to black females hair. They said that they thought that we all wore fake hair, and if they seen us with really long hair that looks real, they'd just think its a really natural looking weave.:sad:

Its so sad to hear that that's what other races think of us.We are all just some bald headed weave wearing females that can't grow long hair!

I swear this just makes me want to take care of my hair even more to prove f**kers like them wrong!

-----------------------------------------------

YOU ACTUALLY BOUGHT INTO THAT??? :nono:

Girl, they know good and well that not every black girl's hair is fake.
You should recognize by now when someone is just picking at you.

Don't feed into it next time, because it will come around again.

They were very immature and were playing "the gang game" where they only act dumbfounded to clown only if someone else is willing to participate... like it gives their race cookie points or something... (their inkies must have been feelin' small that day.)

:ohwell:

I never respond to ish like that... cause I'm an intuitive Cancerian, things like this rarely get past me.

:yep:

hahaha Well I did used to think that all Asians were smart til I came to college and met a BUNCH of dumb ones.....there are a bunch of stereotypes that people have that are not limited to just Black people. So I don't care. If people don't want to educate themselves then that's their bad. They can go ahead and think I'm rockin a weave while me and my man get to enjoy the lack of tracks.

Wow, dumb people in college? :perplexed:look:

Black, white and any other race...they will always have their misconceptions!
Funnily enough, in the 1800s, most white people of the upper classes wore wigs and powdered their hair. And now, more white female celebrities wear weaves than can be counted! Jessica Simpson has her own line.....
Bottom line is, you know your hair is real. They say that because they've just been proven wrong.You just brush it off and move on..

Back