I think my growth has SLOWED down???

StarScream35

Approx. 3 weeks ago I got a relaxer and the ignorant stylist chopped more of my hair off than I wanted to. Anyway, the relaxer she used was Affirm and my scalp was itching (not burning) like crazy for a full week. It literally felt like I had creepy crawlers on my scalp and that has NEVER happened before. Here I am 3 weeks post and I don't feel any new growth which is also a rarity. Usually 3 weeks post a relaxer I have an ample amount of new growth I can feel with my fingertips because its nice and coiled. I'm not noticing this and a little worried. There is some new growth but it seems like too little. There has not been any hair loss and my shedding pattern is still the same................the usual 5-10 hairs in the comb a day. Everything looks and feels great but it's the growth that seems a little different. I was even thinking that maybe I'm a slow grower in the summer but then read where most people's hair grows faster in the summer and slower in the winter so I realy just don't know! Any thoughts/advice?​

progress.gif

Maybe you just need to wait a little longer before you make a judgment.

For me, I have periods where my hair grows at a super slow rate, but then I have periods where it seems to sprout out of my scalp. Also, you whole head does not grow uniformly.
Give it more time, I am positive your hair is still growing.

I was waiting for something to appear in your siggy..lol

Conterria

Thanks girl. I feel much better. I was freaking out, mainly because of the over-itching after the relaxer. That was the weirdest after relaxer experience ever. My hair was uber dry as well. I had to moisturize and seal with grapefruit seed oil. Oh and I have no idea what a siggy is...............sorry, still learning!

Do you think you might be itching because she didn't get all the relaxer out?

In your initial post there was a loading icon in your signature, Idk maybe it's only only my PC..

I agree with Conterria. Give it a little time before you totally get alarmed. My NG is never really thick until about 7-8 weeks and then it's like whoa! Some people do have different growth rates at different times of the year as well. Did the stylist base your scalp well before relaxing, rinse it out well with the neutralizing shampoo or leave it on longer than usual. These things used to make my scalp really irritated. But then again, it's one of the negatives with relaxing unfortunately, you never know when it's going to show up and irritate your scalp. Mine does from time to time.I get scalp irritation, though I never burn during the application. When this happens, I just go in with Castor oil and try to take extra care of my scalp.

I agree with Conterria. Give it a little time before you totally get alarmed. My NG is never really thick until about 7-8 weeks and then it's like whoa! Some people do have different growth rates at different times of the year as well. Did the stylist base your scalp well before relaxing, rinse it out well with the neutralizing shampoo or leave it on longer than usual. These things used to make my scalp really irritated. But then again, it's one of the negatives with relaxing unfortunately, you never know when it's going to show up and irritate your scalp. Mine does from time to time.I get scalp irritation, though I never burn during the application. When this happens, I just go in with Castor oil and try to take extra care of my scalp.

Hey thanks for the advice. Yeah she based my scalp and everything and I don't recall the ralxer staying in longer than normal. I think it was the kind of relaxer. My longterm stylist (I moved to a new state) used Design Essentials and I NEVER had problems. Now I'm on the search for a new stylist and its been a nightmare. ONe stylist I went to used Mizani and I did great with that. Maybe my scalp just doesn't like Affirm which is weird cause I thought it was suppose to be a nice milder relaxer!!

Back