I NEED SSSLLLLIIIPPPP!!! Please advise Ladies!

MsKdBee

Hello All,

I am a 4a/b relaxed (almost mbl):clapping: lurker who is almost 12 weeks post with about an inch and some of new growth and trying my hardest to stretch.......fast forward to last night I dc'd on dry hair under the dryer for 30 minutes and then rinsed and cheapie co washed. started trying to detangle under the water while rinsing out the condish and the new growth would not cooporate!:wallbash: It took forever! My SO thought I had fallen asleep in there. So finally I gave up and washed with CON and was able to get the comb through slapped in some leave in and bunned.(I only comb on wash day I just moisturize and phony pony during the week) So 4 a/b types the question is what can I use tp provide more slip and assist in the detangling process? ANY help would be great!

Thanks

What has worked for me was a hot oil prepoo treatment or take 3 Tbs each of Epsom salt and a moisturizing conditioner, heat in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds then add it straight on your new growth area and hair ends, put on a plastic cap and DC for 30-45 minutes with heat. This really softens my new growth for me. HTH!

bumping for you - i wish i knew, still learning... I have 6 weeks of new growth and its hard to manage.. i like when my hair is wet all day, lol if that makes sense.. i baggy my whole head under my wigs durring the day to retain moisture.. and when i dont i seperate hair delicately and apply moisturizer to each section and seal.. Wet moisturized hair is the only way for me.. mane and tail and aubrey organics HSR have been the only two conditioners that have given my tremendous slip.. I am still searching for that perfect staple.

Looks like the CON worked for you. I always keep some of that on reserve when my hair starts acting up.

Try adding oil to a conditioner. That should help in increasing slip :)

I agree w/adding oil (EVOO, coconut, sweet almond, avocado oil) to conditioner

I've added honey, coconut milk to conditioner as well.

Warming it up in the microwave, and then applying it to dry hair, in sections.

Straight oil on wet/damp hair :yep:

Last wash day I mixed some coconut milk with water, thoroughly dampened my hair with it, then put a bunch of evoo into it.

Comb slid through like buttah :lol:

After detangling, I shampooed and dc'd like normal.

I wish I would have discovered this earlier. It makes perfect sense. If you are looking for SLIP, why not try OIL? It's slippery stuff.

Plus, it's conditioning to the hair!

Detangle before DCing. If you are going to DC on dry hair use oil and do a hot oil treatment. Hot oil treatments make my type 4 hair very soft and easy to manage. Also, detangle while you are co-washing or DCing. Buy a detangling comb. Comb/detangle hair while conditioner is in it. Use a leave in conditioner for daily moisture and seal with oil (cococnut and castor are great for type 4 hair. They make hair soft, manageable and add sheen). If you are using a protein DC make sure to follow with a moisturizing DC.

Mix different conditioners with different purposes...Last week when I co-washed, I used a moisturizing con, body con and reconstructor con. I did this last week and my hair still feels great.

I've never tried either one of these, but after reading lots of posts about this, I remember Sylver recommending Rusk Leave-in Smoother and I remember seeing an older post about a product called Cowboy Magic that really helped the relaxer stretchers detangle and better manage their new growth.

1. I agree with adding oils to the conditioner and doing more dcs with them.

2. I found leaving the conditioner in my hair and bunning after detangling really helped with my last stretch of 18 weeks. By the next wash, my hair was more manageable.

3. Porosity control also came in handy as well during my relaxer stretches: :yep!

4. I used a lot more of the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and Aubreys (Honeysuckle rose or white Camellia) after 12 weeks post.

Last edited:
when I have that much NG I also will wash my hair in 4 sections.

And I definitely agree with the ladies. Use oil directly on wet hair. they call it oil rinsing, believe me, it works!
The comb will slide right through.
(I gave a bottle of hot 6 oil to a coworker who has natural hair and she said that using the oil made detangling and combing a breeze!)Try it, you will not regret it. And the best part is that oil is so inexpensive

1. I agree with adding oils to the conditioner and doing more dcs with them.

2. I found leaving the conditioner in my hair and bunning after detangling really helped with my last stretch of 18 weeks. By the next wash, my hair was more manageable.

3. Porosity control also came in handy as well during my relaxer stretches: :yep!

4. I used a lot more of the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and Aubreys (Honeysuckle rose or white Camellia) after 12 weeks post.

Cosigning on the porosity control conditioner during long stretches. It really helps a lot.

Thank you Ladies! I am going to try the oil rinse this weekend because I am getting great retention with my stretches but it wont make any difference if I am ripping it out trying to detangle!

Hello All,

I am a 4a/b relaxed (almost mbl):clapping: lurker who is almost 12 weeks post with about an inch and some of new growth and trying my hardest to stretch.......fast forward to last night I dc'd on dry hair under the dryer for 30 minutes and then rinsed and cheapie co washed. started trying to detangle under the water while rinsing out the condish and the new growth would not cooporate!:wallbash: It took forever! My SO thought I had fallen asleep in there. So finally I gave up and washed with CON and was able to get the comb through slapped in some leave in and bunned.(I only comb on wash day I just moisturize and phony pony during the week) So 4 a/b types the question is what can I use tp provide more slip and assist in the detangling process? ANY help would be great!

Thanks

I am not a 4a type but I am CERTAIN that Silicon Mix would be awesome for you. I LOVE IT!

I don't know if anyone else suggested henna but it really loosens my new growth hairs and allow me to comb it better as well.

I've found that Rusk conditioner or Silicone Mix work great when transitioning or stretching. Marshalls sells a liter bottle of Rusk for $10.

Some products I use when I want slip:
Heenara (brand of henna that has lots moisturizing and mucilaginous herbs that seal cuticle and help give slip)-I mixed it with hot coconut milk, made a paste, and applied it to my hair. Changed my world :grin:.

Aubrey Organics White Camellia Conditioner-when apply this to damp hair, I get TONS of slip.

Giovanni 50/50 balanced conditioner- Some say the new formulation doesn't work well for them, but it gives me good slip.

Hi! I am also six months post and I have been using elucence moisture balancing conditioner and it has great slip. I use it as a leave in and its great. Also, after I wash my hair but before I put in my deep conditioner I use a cheapie conditioner to detangle. I am currently using herbal essences hello hydration. Hope that helps.

I'm a fellow 4 type here whose hair is prone to tangles.... the most reliable detangling method i have is:

use ORS replenshing pak w/ heat for 15-20 mins, rinse, use a good leave in (i use lacio lacio) and comb out in sections. I comb out comfortably every time doing this.

I'm a fellow 4 type here whose hair is prone to tangles.... the most reliable detangling method i have is:

use ORS replenshing pak w/ heat for 15-20 mins, rinse, use a good leave in (i use lacio lacio) and comb out in sections. I comb out comfortably every time doing this.

ORS replenishing pak is wonderful. It also has great slip. Also, when I detangle in the shower I do so in sections.

Back