I need a hair cut... but I don't know what to do!

isawstars

After a bad experience with my stylist of 7 years... (a woman who I thought I could trust) I have sworn off stylists. I am transitioning and have noticed a significant amount of splits... plus, my stylist cut my hair slightly shorter on one side. After my bad experience, I've learned that my hair needs to be combed while wet with conditioner. Cannot be dry like my ex stylist was doing! And what frustrates me even more is I don't want a "style." I just do wash and goes with a headband or a cute twist or braid in the front. I haven't used heat in months and I don't want a lot of manipulation at this point in my transition. Picturing myself seeing a professional for a cut then walking out with wet hair sounds strange to me.

Oh yeah, and I'm broke. I thought about going to Aveda's hair school or Super Cuts or even "Famous Hair" but I don't want to be rude by requesting all these things. Sigh.

I am afraid of getting my hair cut at a salon. In November, I thought I would try Hair Cuttery. I asked for just the split ends to be cut and ended up with a slightly layered cut that I didn't ask for. Sometimes I put my hair in a lot of twists and cut the split ends off each twist. I have done this several times now. I don't cut more than 1/4 inch if that much.

You could wash & straighten it yourself then go to supercuts to have them trim it.

Eta: I successfully trimmed my own hair using a creaclip. www.creaclip.com they have a lot of videos on YouTube.

Last edited:
I am afraid of getting my hair cut at a salon. In November, I thought I would try Hair Cuttery. I asked for just the split ends to be cut and ended up with a slightly layered cut that I didn't ask for. Sometimes I put my hair in a lot of twists and cut the split ends off each twist. I have done this several times now. I don't cut more than 1/4 inch if that much.

Thanks for sharing this with me! Why didn't I think about self trimming? lol. Now I'm off to look up self trimming threads and youtube vids.

i'm kinda having issues with this same thing. my last bout with a stylist who was trimming me cut 4.5 inches off. i think im gonna invest in a creaclip and a splitender. its gonna take a few months for me to save up for them both but i think im done with stylists/beauticians period.

currently trying to learn how to color my own hair.

You could wash & straighten it yourself then go to supercuts to have them trim it.

Eta: I successfully trimmed my own hair using a creaclip. www.creaclip.com they have a lot of videos on YouTube.

I go to a place like Supercuts in my area. I found a sista who can cut any1's hair and all I do is a light blow-dry and she dusts it by cutting 1/8-1/4 inch at most...she knows I don't like big trims and she knows my concerns with cutting. She charges $13.00 and I go every 8-10 weeks! My hair has thrived big time!!!! When I can't go I just dust it when I do my twists and check every few days for anything I missed...but I am going back to my girl soon!!!

Also try MasterCuts....it's like Supercuts but they have a lot of sista's working there...also don't be afraid to speak up your requests! You're the customer!!!

Wow I've never even heard of Mastercuts!! I googled it and there is one in the town over to mine... oh well.

I ended up trimming my hair by myself!!! It was liberating! My hair doesn't look much different since I cut from 1inch to 3 inches (depending on the side and how stringy my ends were). I really like cutting my own hair. I felt in control. I can't wait to do my BC :grin:

I used this video: http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV_2UPCU8ck

which seems to be the common way for naturals on YT. Thanks again for this suggestion!!

Back