I met Cathy Howse today!

locabouthair

I saw her at the Circle of Sisters event in NYC.

I walked past her table and my friend was with me. My friend saw me staring at the table and she was like, "please whatever shes selling ain't gonna work. Her hair looks a mess".

And I was like "why because it's not straight?" And she was like "no, it looks unkempt".

Cathy's hair looked VERY thick. It looked like she had pressed it and it was humid and got poofy. You could tell she sweated it out or it got humid. If it were me, I would have put it in a bun but I guess if you are selling her hair growth books you have to show people how long your hair is.

Anywho my friend was "her hair is naturally thick. What she's selling aint gonna work". I didnt say that Cathy's hair used to be neck length and how moisture let her retain her length. I wasn't gonna get into all of that:rolleyes: I was just like yeah whatever...

So because I didnt want my friend to know how hair obsessed I really am:look: I told her I was going to the bathroom and went back to Cathy's table :lol:

She told me she had blowdried and flatironed her hair. I asked if her hair was 4b and she said yes and she tried to show me some strands of her hair, I was like girl please my hair's kinkier than that :lol:

I wanted to ask her more questions but I heard she had an attitude and I didnt wanna get on her nerves. I wanted to ask her if she wears her straight all the time and if she does any natural styles. Overall, she seemed nice though.

She had the small size of the dew she sells for like $3. I was gonna buy it but I passed.

Anyway, just wanna tell yall that. I didnt wanna tell her I was on the hair boards. I hear she doesn't like us. :look:

I saw her at the Circle of Sisters event in NYC.

I walked past her table and my friend was with me. My friend saw me staring at the table and she was like, "please whatever shes selling ain't gonna work. Her hair looks a mess".

And I was like "why because it's not straight?" And she was like "no, it looks unkempt".

Cathy's hair looked VERY thick. It looked like she had pressed it and it was humid and got poofy. You could tell she sweated it out or it got humid. If it were me, I would have put it in a bun but I guess if you are selling her hair growth books you have to show people how long your hair is.

Anywho my friend was "her hair is naturally thick. What she's selling aint gonna work". I didnt say that Cathy's hair used to be neck length and how moisture let her retain her length. I wasn't gonna get into all of that:rolleyes: I was just like yeah whatever...

So because I didnt want my friend to know how hair obsessed I really am:look: I told her I was going to the bathroom and went back to Cathy's table :lol:

She told me she had blowdried and flatironed her hair. I asked if her hair was 4b and she said yes and she tried to show me some strands of her hair, I was like girl please my hair's kinkier than that :lol:

I wanted to ask her more questions but I heard she had an attitude and I didnt wanna get on her nerves. I wanted to ask her if she wears her straight all the time and if she does any natural styles. Overall, she seemed nice though.

She had the small size of the dew she sells for like $3. I was gonna buy it but I passed.

Anyway, just wanna tell yall that.
I didnt wanna tell her I was on the hair boards. I hear she doesn't like us.
:look:
Actually, she was a guest at the 1st LHCF Convention in Las Vegas. I thought I heard it was pretty good and she was nice.

Cathy Howse seems to have a problem w/ ANYBODY who doesn't do it HER way. She had issue w/ Wanakee over protective styling, IIRC. She seems to think it's her way or no way. I read her very 1st book way back...it had a few good tips as far as I was concerned, but if I'd followed her to the letter, I'd be bald. LOL

OP...too bad you didn't get her Dew. I would have liked a review! ;)

That's SO COOL that you met her! She was the first person I saw on the web and changed my life coz I saw for the first time someone with hair down to her back who had 4b hair like me. Gave me something to think about. I did hear she has a badditude so I don't blame you for not lingering, I wouldn't either. I think if she has a better attitude she'll sell more books.

Cathy Howse seems to have a problem w/ ANYBODY who doesn't do it HER way. She had issue w/ Wanakee over protective styling, IIRC. She seems to think it's her way or no way. I read her very 1st book way back...it had a few good tips as far as I was concerned, but if I'd followed her to the letter, I'd be bald. LOL

OP...too bad you didn't get her Dew. I would have liked a review! ;)

I dont know why. Some people need protective styling and some don't. I got the BEST growth, (well retention) when I wore braids.

Ill be going back there tomorrow so maybe I'll get the dew if she is there tommorrow.

I showed a picture of her to my mom and of course she asked if she was mixed:rolleyes: That really gets on my nerves.

I dont know why. Some people need protective styling and some don't. I got the BEST growth, (well retention) when I wore braids.

Ill be going back there tomorrow so maybe I'll get the dew if she is there tommorrow.

I showed a picture of her to my mom and of course she asked if she was mixed:rolleyes: That really gets on my nerves.

I have no idea of why CH was so against protective styling. It didn't conflict w/ her system, tho I do believe Wanakee's products interfered w/ her sales! That's what she was really objecting to.:lachen:

CH seemed more chilled back before she started selling products. Maybe she's mad at sites who put up her conditioner formulas that she put in her 1st book? It would make sense.

One great thing about CH's original book is that she made people rethink the whole cutting ends=hair growth as well as being totally reliant on salons. I believe the book was 91 or so and nobody was really saying this kind of stuff before her that I can recall.

Last edited:
This is such a coincidence, a friend of mine was talking about her today and I was just looking at her website and reading her "tips" and I thought to myself..man this chick has an attitude...also, I saw her trying to throw a stab at Wanakee and her system and I thought well Wanakee's hair is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than hers (cause she was dissing protective styles) and I thought to myself, the proof is in the pudding, so I'll stick to Wanakee, but I am a bit interested in the "thin Edges" book???

This is such a coincidence, a friend of mine was talking about her today and I was just looking at her website and reader her "tips" and I thought to myself..man this chick has an attitude...also, I saw her trying to throw a stab at Wanakee and her system and I thought well Wanakee's hair is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than hers (cause she was dissing protective styles) and I thought to myself, the proof is in the pudding, so I'll stick to Wanakee, but I am a bit interested in the "thin Edges" book???

LOL...you wrong for saying that (but it's true). Maybe that's another reason she has such a "badditude". :grin:

I was natural when I came upon her (I'm still natural) and her stuff seemed way too protein heavy for my hair. She was relaxed then (didn't she switch?) and I thought her system was more for relaxed heads. Wanakee, tho also relaxed, was all about the moisture and paying special attention to the ends. This was more easily incorporated into a natural's routine like mine.

Both systems have their +s and -s, but Wanakee's was a better fit for me.

I have no idea of why CH was so against protective styling. It didn't conflict w/ her system, tho I do believe Wanakee's products interfered w/ her sales! That's what she was really objecting to.:lachen:

CH seemed more chilled back before she started selling products. Maybe she's mad at sites who put up her conditioner formulas that she put in her 1st book? It would make sense.

One great thing about CH's original book is that she made people rethink the whole cutting ends=hair growth as well as being totally reliant on salons. I believe the book was 91 or so and nobody was really saying this kind of stuff before her that I can recall.

Yeah I like the points she made about trims because there are still people that think cutting your hair makes it grow faster.

In her thinning egdes book, she says that its best to go to the salon for a chemical service. I disagree because in my experience, stylists do not neutralize well or wash out the relaxer properly.

This is such a coincidence, a friend of mine was talking about her today and I was just looking at her website and reading her "tips" and I thought to myself..man this chick has an attitude...also, I saw her trying to throw a stab at Wanakee and her system and I thought well Wanakee's hair is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than hers (cause she was dissing protective styles) and I thought to myself, the proof is in the pudding, so I'll stick to Wanakee, but I am a bit interested in the "thin Edges" book???

Yeah I was glancing through the thinning edges book when I was there. Maybe I'll read it one day. I'm kinda glad she wrote a book about it. I remember reading in the book that if the hair isn't there then most likely it wont grow back.

i met her last year and she did have a stank attitude. i still have some dew that i only used once when i was relaxed. it was good. i wonder if it would be good for my natural hair.

IIRC, in her book back then, she said go get your relaxers done at the salon. However, she was also saying you should maintain your hair in between (many people didn't back then and still don't...2wk wash was standard). You're right about the rinse out tho. I always have to check my (relaxed) mother's head cuz sometimes there's leftover.

What's her theory for why the edges are gone in so many?

i met her last year and she did have a stank attitude. i still have some dew that i only used once when i was relaxed. it was good. i wonder if it would be good for my natural hair.

Ya know, the one product I considered bying was her Dew, but it seems "too wet" to me and I passed. Don't ask me why I thought that. Her stuff generally seems more relaxed friendly.

IIRC, in her book back then, she said go get your relaxers done at the salon. However, she was also saying you should maintain your hair in between (many people didn't back then and still don't...2wk wash was standard). You're right about the rinse out tho. I always have to check my (relaxed) mother's head cuz sometimes there's leftover.

What's her theory for why the edges are gone in so many?

I just glimpsed through the book but from what I saw it seemed like she thought relaxers were the main culprit. Oh and she did mention braids.

I wore braids for at least 15 years (on and off) and thank God I still have a hairline. I see some Latina women with thinning edges too and also people who wear locks.

We collaborated together in a business adventure in 1999 or 2000(I forget what year) at the Black Women's Expo . She is about the money, that's all I can say. However, if all AA women adopted either Cathy Howes or Wanakee's method, we would have longer and healthier hair.

Why wouldn't she like the LHCF board?

:sekret: I might be wrong about this but a few years ago, there was a discussion about her book and some newbie came on to defend it. A few of us could have sworn this member was Cathy and she had a few pple disagreeing with her, so maybe that too made her hate know-it-alls here. :giggle:

I liked Cathy's book, in spite of the typos. I learned DCing from her, but I disagree with her no-trimming theory and also I do believe protective styling is necessary for healthy ends.

:sekret: I might be wrong about this but a few years ago, there was a discussion about her book and some newbie came on to defend it. A few of us could have sworn this member was Cathy and she had a few pple disagreeing with her, so maybe that too made her hate know-it-alls here. :giggle:

I liked Cathy's book, in spite of the typos. I learned DCing from her, but I disagree with her no-trimming theory and also I do believe protective styling is necessary for healthy ends.

Totally agree with bolded, Nonie.

I'll admit, back in 2003 when I BCed (for like the fifth and final time) some of her methods helped be deal with what I now understand was scab hair. I did, however, get a "my way or no way" vibe from some of her statements in the book/on the site at that time.:ohwell:

We collaborated together in a business adventure in 1999 or 2000(I forget what year) at the Black Women's Expo . She is about the money, that's all I can say. However, if all AA women adopted either Cathy Howes or Wanakee's method, we would have longer and healthier hair.

It's a shame that Wanakee sold her line to Beverly Johnson..... who sells wigs. :rolleyes:

loca did you get back to see her? yup, you're lucky you didn't lose your edges.

I did but I didnt get to speak with her. She was busy talking to other people.

My friend said the exact opposite. Even when she saw Cathy's before and after pics. She was like if whatever she's selling made her hair grow then everybody would have hair like that. I was like yeah whatever...

Cathy's been out since 2000???? I had sooooooo many problems with my hair back back then and I was searching DESPERATELY for some help. I couldnt find anything much about black hair back then. I dont even think LHCF was around then. I ended up cutting my hair to ear length. Man I wish I knew about her then. I would have been BSL by now. Oh well:ohwell:

I will have to assume Cathy Howse knows about LHCF. I have a belief that most people in the hair business know about LHCF.

loca CH's book 1st came out in the very early 90s. In this book she gave instructions on how to make her conditioners. She basically used a blank conditioner you could get at a healthfood store (remember, no net back then) and doctor up yourself. I think she also had one for her Dew. I used to see her UBH book at Border's sometimes in the mid-late 90s.

She started selling products sometime in the late 90s. She, Wanakee, and Lisa Akbari were around from the mid-late 90s. I can't tell you how I found them back then, but I somehow did.

LOL...LHCF is only about 8 years old. Before this site, we used to hang out on other boards LHC, BHT, Naturallycurly, Karen Shelton's HairTalk/HairBoutique, etc)....then the Yahoo Challenge happened for Black hair growth. Out of that Yahoo Challenge is our humble site.

I will have to assume Cathy Howse knows about LHCF. I have a belief that most people in the hair business know about LHCF.

Cathy Howse does, we KNOW this for a fact, but most people even in the hair biz don't know this and other sites like LHC or Hairboutique. Most beauty people have no interest in super long hair other than to cut it.

Last edited:
Back