I know this has been said a million times......

TRYING2GROW

But, why is shoulder length to armpit so hard. I thought that I would be armpit lenght by august. I mean it seems like my hair is at a stand still. I wondering if my hair is even growing. I feel like getting a haircut, and just leaving it alone. I just don't know what else to do.

Because the hair at that length is more likely to rub on your clothes and shoulders, making it more susceptible to breakage.

Also, some find it is also a greater difference between SL to APL than the other lengths, meaning, for me SL to APL is a good 6 inches .. but APL to BSL is closer to 3, so it'll take longer.

HTH!

Because the hair at that length is more likely to rub on your clothes and shoulders, making it more susceptible to breakage.

Also, some find it is also a greater difference between SL to APL than the other lengths, meaning, for me SL to APL is a good 6 inches .. but APL to BSL is closer to 3, so it'll take longer.

HTH!

I think your last statement is esp.true for me . I am hoping to get there by the end of August, but now I am not so sure. I wear my hair up or in buns everyday of the week. I finally relaxed today after a 4 month stretch but I think I may have suffered a little bit of a setback w/breakage.

Shoot, I'll be jumping for joy once I make it to SL :rolleyes:. I was hoping to be there by now. Then again, I'm 6 foot with a long neck...:ohwell:

Last edited:
I also feel like I have been SL since FOREVER :rolleyes: I am guilty of wearing it down, but I do moisturize, oil the ends and put it up when I get home. It is taking a long time to get past SL.

I'm having difficulty reaching APL too. I suspect that it's because I have a long distance to go. It's about 5-6 inches from my shoulders to APL. My back is long and it's taking forever for my hair to creep down.

I think the basics for reaching APL go somewhere along these lines:

Moisturize
Maintain a clean scalp and hair
Protect your fragile ends
Limit manipulation and heat
Be patient

I started my journey at shoulder length at the back and a little past chin length in the front. It look me a whole year to make it to SL. I am just now getting to BSL but I still won't claim it until my hair is touching the middle of my bra strap. Hang in there, one day you will wake up, get your touchup and realize that you have met your goal.

well my hair has always been passed sl but not passed apl. im apl now and trying for bsl and it seems like its taking forever.

I went from shoulder length to full shoulder length then right back to shoulder length. I've been at the shoulder mark for almost two years. It's been a hard road but I am so close to APL I feel like claiming it. I've also become a lot more serious about my hair, that's helped a lot.

I went from shoulder length to full shoulder length then right back to shoulder length. I've been at the shoulder mark for almost two years. It's been a hard road but I am so close to APL I feel like claiming it. I've also become a lot more serious about my hair, that's helped a lot.

well my hair has always been passed sl but not passed apl. im apl now and trying for bsl and it seems like its taking forever.

It sure is hard... especially if you are scrutinizing your length constantly. A watched pot never boils.

One thing that really helped me was wearing braids. When you have your hair in braids, you can really see the new growth that you are getting. It's also easier to do DC treatments and such, because you don't have to worry about detangling, drying and styling. If you want to keep frizziness from taking hold, you can dry your hair with a scarf tied on, or one of those mesh wrap caps.
Then, when you take your hair down, you really see the growth, instead of feeling like your hair isn't growing.

Are you taking any supplements? I think some girls go crazy with putting extreme things on thier scalp, when taking a prenatal vitamin, a B-50 and a biotin could really make thier growth take off. Not speaking about any one person here, just saying in general I'd rather take vitamins than smear coochie cream on my scalp.

HTH!

I think people really underestimate the importance of this point. It's not the same distance from point to point for all growth points. SL to APL is a lot bigger on me than APL to BSL (which I'm at in today's length check! :grin:)

I've been slacking on my vits. But, I plan 2 pick them back up. I take multi and fish oils. Biotin makes my face breakout. Fishoil works really good.

are you protective styling ? SL-APL to me was frustrating but it really did not take long and i got frustrated the month before i reached it ( i swear i had a growth spurt cuz up to know i dont know how my hair grew that quickly)

Keeping your hair up helps a big lot because your hair doesnt brush against your shoulders, get splits and then break off ... so do that continuously and see what happens by November

Back