I knew I had fine hair when...

FluffyRed

When did you know you had fine hair?

I was doing a fish braid on this little girl neighbor (11 y.o.) and I realized i could not fit my hand around her waist-length hair!! WTH? My two plaits as a child were each as thick as my thumb!

That's when I knew. There have been other confirmations, but

What made you know you definitely had fine hair?

It only takes my hair 30 minutes to fully dry under a tabletop dryer....that's just unreal. Now it takes 45 min because it's thicker but dang.

My bsl friend is so friggin jealous, but I'm so friggin jealous of her length lol

When I took a strand of my hair and compared it to others. I could barely see my strand whereas their strand looked like a thick piece of thread. :ohwell:

I always thought my hair was thin but it was actually fine. Everyone around me thinks my hair is thick, but that's the density.

When I took a strand of my hair and compared it to others. I could barely see my strand whereas their strand looked like a thick piece of thread. :ohwell:

I always thought my hair was thin but it was actually fine. Everyone around me thinks my hair is thick, but that's the density.

That is exactly my experience. I even had a hairdresser about to disagree with me that my hair was fine and then she went to grab a handful, she went, "OH! ... yeah ..." (Blond fine is different from black fine - texture advantage)

Last edited:
Even when my hair was natural it was so thin and fine i could see my scalp when it was lossed out.

My cornrows had huge spaces.

when compared to others my hair when pulled back in one or in a bun was equal to 1 single plait of another persons hair. (smiles)

I really hate it but it sometimes have it's advantages.

Holding my hair up to a light makes that baby dang near transparent, lol. And I can't really feel it when I rub a strand between my fingers....

...when I wore my hair straight, and when I was getting into the car my hair floated up and was caught in the car door when I closed it.

I KNEW WHEN I MY HAIR USE TO BE NATURAL PEOPLE WOULD SAY (OOH YOU GOT SOME THICK HAIR) AND THEN WHEN I PERMED IT NO ONE SAID A WORD.

When I could get split ends from just leaving my hair alone or if they were remotely dry
When I would catch a strand of my hair, and couldn't feel it between my fingers
When I put my hair in twists

After a bone straight perm, I can see my scalp. I can't feel too much of anything when I hold one strand in my fingers. Looking back to when I was young and natural, after a press it would seem soooo thin. EVERYTHING weighs my hair down. I could really go on and on...

When my braids look like spaghetti at the ends and when I put a ponytail holder on and then decide to take it out cause the ponytail itself looks anorexic.

When I put my hair in a donut bun and the bun has no thickness whatsoever :look:. I'll look at a pic of someone else's donut bun with the same length but has way more thickness and I confirm my thin hair strands .

When I put my hair in a ponytail and it looks like a shoelace dangling :nono:.

Holding my hair up to a light makes that baby dang near transparent, lo l. And I can't really feel it when I rub a strand between my fingers....

Girl, this is me to a T, when it comes to the light.

I thought it was because of my layers, but now that it's growing to one length I still have this problem.

Any ladies have any success thickening up your fine hair?

there's a difference between fine and thin hair. some people might have BOTH fine and thin hair. having a ponytail with a small circumference can mean you have thin hair i.e, not a whole lotta hair strands from your scalp. You can usually tell when hair is fine if its hard to see when held up to light. And just by comparing with a majority of people. Put your strand side by side with someone who has normal individual hair strands and you will see the difference.

When I do Bantu knots. No matter how big I make them I still end up with little knots. To make my knot out full I would have to do a ton of knots.

i can't see my strands unless its up against a contrasting color... and it doesn't feel remotely close to a thread, or wire or any of that stuff.

I have fine strands but a lot of them :lol: my hair seems to be thick. But I knew when I had a white shirt on and could barely see the shed hairs attached to it.

I never really thought about this, and this thread made me pull out a strand and investigate. It was kinda hard to see, but I could still see it. I put it against my husband's and it is thinner than his but, don't they say asians generally have extra thick hair? I remember one time in science class when I was natural, I looked under the microscope at one of my strands beside some clear chick who had colored and colored and colored. My hair was uber thick and healthy in comparision because my mom never used any heat, so I always thought my hair was thick.....oh well we will see

I never really thought about this, and this thread made me pull out a strand and investigate. It was kinda hard to see, but I could still see it. I put it against my husband's and it is thinner than his but, don't they say asians generally have extra thick hair? I remember one time in science class when I was natural, I looked under the microscope at one of my strands beside some clear chick who had colored and colored and colored. My hair was uber thick and healthy in comparision because my mom never used any heat, so I always thought my hair was thick.....oh well we will see

try to take a pic of one strand. see if it shows up. thats a good way to find out. loool

there's a difference between fine and thin hair. some people might have BOTH fine and thin hair. having a ponytail with a small circumference can mean you have thin hair i.e, not a whole lotta hair strands from your scalp. You can usually tell when hair is fine if its hard to see when held up to light. And just by comparing with a majority of people. Put your strand side by side with someone who has normal individual hair strands and you will see the difference.

This is me. :yep:

I knew when I would relax my hair, and could barely curl it because it was limp. Also, you can see my scalp after a relaxer.

When I kept following the "detangling in the shower" thing and ended up with a tone of hair down the drain. It took me a while to connect that the weight of the water + pull of the comb was too much for my hair. Then I searched about it here and found out it was a common fine strand thing.

I knew when my thick, coarse, 4b sister and I got salon appointments on the same day. The stylist flat ironed her hair about 50-11 times and gave up panting. On me she blow dried in about 10 minutes, skipped the flat iron and hot curled my hair in all of 5 minutes so I would have some "body" and that didn't really work (scalp city)!

Back