I just can't get my hair past neck length!!

c*c*chic*

I don't know what else to do! i've tried protective styles, better products, etc etc, what do you guys suggest? my next step is going straight to doing my own doobies at home, and henna treatments in black (still looking up info on how to do that). I'm getting my ends clipped as soon as I get home from vacation. for the last 3 weeks i've been cowashing daily and half wigging it and it's made my hair thicker, that I will say. but idk what else to do. all tips and advice is appreciated. TIA

Last edited:
The best advice I got here was to keep it off my shoulders and moisturize my ends. U already protective style and that helps tremendously. I also stopped trimming so often.

that's the thing, i don't keep up with my trimming. i got a trim maybe 3 months ago but my ends look ragged. i had my hair dyed last august and now its my ends that are colored and i think the only way to get right is too cut my colored ends off.

Are you seeing a lot of broken hairs, split ends, or shedding? What is causing you not to retain the length. Also you mentioned doing your own doobies @ home, are you going to a salon and are they trimming you up? If so, how often?

Try hiding your hair in a sew in weave for 2 to 3 months. Or maybe even braids. Just make sure you take care of your hair underneath (plenty of moisture). You should see a difference in terms of length retention.

back2relaxed: i'm seeing split ends and broken ends. i go to doobie shops once in a blue. every time i go there I have a bad experience. i can do my own I just need to get a bonnet hair dryer. i keep my flat ironed once a week or once every two weeks with heat protectant. which worked very well for me in the winter.

beans4reezy: i've done weaves and micros and i either end up with breakage or a chunk of hair coming out :'( i get so much growth and then my ends look terrible.

Braids really took me from point A to point B this summer. Also lay off of the trims. You will never see any length if you keep trimming every few months. My ends are raggedy, but I'm waiting until December to even up everything.

Do u do protein treatments? I see split ends and I usually just snip them as I see them. The ends take so much babying. Maybe u just need to hide ur hair for a few months after u trim.

When u say raggedy do u mean uneven or just split and is it just the colored ends that are splitting or is it up the shaft as well?

What has helped me is deep conditioning w/ heat faithfully (1-2x a week) along w/ moisturizing 1-2x daily and wearing a bun. I like using ORS replenishing cond to DC and or cowash which helps a lot when I see any kind of broken hairs. What ever you decide to do as far as any advice goes...don't give up.you will see progress just be patient and consistent.

hmm, I'm having the same delima. Maybe you should take a picture and compare it in later months. I can't for the life of me understand why my hair doesn't appear to be growing (in my eyes). I'm participating in the 'hide your hair challenge until December'...right now, I just wash, egg and avocado conditioner(bi-weekly), w/ a deep moisturizing conditioner. I detangle in sections, braid in sections and let it air dry. I do not take the braids out and wear a wig daily (w/out a wig cap...something tells me my scalp can't breathe w/ that layer of nylon). I moisturize daily and do not bother my hair at all week other than that. I'm on month number 3 going on 4 and I haven't seen much improvement. Also, I take 5000 mcgs of biotin a day along w/ my regular vitamins and iron supplements. what am I doing wrong!!!! sorry to hijak your thead op

Not sure if you are relaxed or not. But I will tell you that I was in the same boat as you for most of my life until I went natural. My hair grew the longest it had ever been in my entire life in just a little over two years. My hair thrived without the chemicals. My hair was thicker, longer, and healthier than ever. I didn't need protein treatments or henna, just protective styling, conditioning, and lots of moisture. Everytime I go back to the relaxers I lose my thickness and then of course my length. This may not be the case for you but I just thought I'd share my experience with you. I will be doing a bc again the next six months...

If you are seeing splits and breakage, more than likely the hair is dry and weak. I would suggest a lite protein...I've been using Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. It leaves your hair strong and soft(if that makes sense). Also if you are relaxing and using heat weekly, that will definitely slow your growth. For most people heat dries the ends of the hair, and eventually that dried out hair breaks and splits. Have you tried setting your own hair instead of the flat iron? It was hard for me too, but I really noticed a difference, once I put my flat irons in the drawer!

hmm, I'm having the same delima. Maybe you should take a picture and compare it in later months. I can't for the life of me understand why my hair doesn't appear to be growing (in my eyes). I'm participating in the 'hide your hair challenge until December'...right now, I just wash, egg and avocado conditioner(bi-weekly), w/ a deep moisturizing conditioner. I detangle in sections, braid in sections and let it air dry. I do not take the braids out and wear a wig daily (w/out a wig cap...something tells me my scalp can't breathe w/ that layer of nylon). I moisturize daily and do not bother my hair at all week other than that. I'm on month number 3 going on 4 and I haven't seen much improvement. Also, I take 5000 mcgs of biotin a day along w/ my regular vitamins and iron supplements. what am I doing wrong!!!! sorry to hijak your thead op

I completely agree with this. People tell me that my hair is growing when they see my twist-outs, but I can't see it. I realize that my fro looks bigger when I detangle my hair, but my twists and twist-outs always look the same to me. Maybe comparison pictures will show you what's really going on with your hair.

Also, you said that you flat-ironed once every week or every two weeks w/ heat protectant, and that method worked very well for you in the winter. You also said that you see split and broken ends. Is it possible that the flat-ironing is contributing to the problems with your ends? Do you moisturize your ends after you've flat-ironed?

I feel your pain. My hair just stayed ear level until I learned how to protective style. Flat twists have helped me to start growing again. I am transitioning now and my hair is getting thicker and longer. Unfortunately, my last stylist cut layers in my hair, so some layers are longer than others.:rolleyes: I am now lip level on my sides and my nape is grazing my shoulder. I am also learning how to lessen my heat use again, since my botched relaxer only relaxed the right side of my hair strait.:ohwell:

yes I have decided to roller set my own hair once a week. Im geting a bonnet dryer tomorrow, hopefully. im only going to flat iron when my roots need to be tamed. Im thinking about getting a relaxer saturday, im not too sure yet. after searching and going thru thread after thread here's the regimen I came up with:

once a week, pre poo - still looking for a good product to use for this.
wash once a week with paul mitchell tea tree shampoo ( other suggestions for a good shampoo are also welcome)
condition with aphogee 2 min
deep condition with matrix biolage
roller set with water,chi silk infusion and a dallop of setting foam
take rollers down, silk wrap
3 or 4 times a week, moe grow oil

vitamins : considering nioxin, and biotin. upping my exercise an water intake, protein also. is there anything else I should be adding ladies?

Prepooing with coconut oil has been going great for me. You may want to try it. It helps to soften my hair and makes detangling much easier. Mixing it with olive oil makes it even better.

stop using heat. just like some hair is protein sensitive, lye or no-lye sensitive, i think a lot of people have problems with heat, and some don't. i'm relatively new, but i haven't used heat in MONTHS and i can see my texlax growing. i was trimming like mad trying get the relaxed ends off, and finally said, 'enough! i wanna see length now!' i used to flat iron a lot on the hair i left out from weaves, and my edges, sides and nape suffered greatly. i'm trying to mold an existence with minute to no heat at all.you may also wanna try baggying for your ends. there are lots of threads on that as well.

weaves and braids keeps your mind off of how long your hair really is...if you keep them in for a month, take it out and document it...you will be surprised as to how much your hair is growing

weaves and braids keeps your mind off of how long your hair really is...if you keep them in for a month, take it out and document it...you will be surprised as to how much your hair is growing

I agree. I got the best growth when I wore braids. This time I'm wearing a half wig.

OP, I'm in the same boat as you. I havent gotten past NL because my hair keeps breaking off.

I notive your join date was Jan 09. I think you should give it more time. Some people see big progress in 6 months and some people see it in a yr. Everyone's different. Make sure you eat a good diet and drink water. If your body's not getting the food it needs, neither is your hair and it wont growth at it's optimum rate. But it will take time for your hair to get the nutrients once you change your diet.

Braid it up. I used cornrows to get from NL to SL. It happened rather quickly. Low manipulation my be the best option for you.

I didn't see if you are taking any vitamins, but my SIL (somewhere in the 3's for texture) started using Nioxin once a day and had tremendous growth. It took about a month for her to notice a difference but after that first month her hair really started growing.

My father (I think 4b) has been using them too and has some really good growth.

I'm experimenting with some Walgreen's hair vitamins and amino acid pills. I have noticed growth as well.

Definitely get RID of that flat iron for now.

Here is my advice. Before doing a protein/moisture treatment I would do a strand test to first diagnose if your hair is lacking in protein or moisture. IMO, it sounds like a moisture issue (esp. since youre using henna which acts like a protein and makes your hair stronger by x50). If your lacking protein I would do one GOOD hardcore protein treatment and then follow up with a moisture DC and then DC again later on that week with another moisture deep conditioner. What I found that help me out with dryness was stepping up on the moisture Deep Conditioning MAJOR. I would DC my hair like 3-4x a week. Here are some other things I wanted to suggest to you.

*Have you tried baggying?
*Try limiting heat to once a month, once every other month or not at all.

- I know i suffered from this but now I NEVER understand why people continue to use heat when they are experiencing breakage. Learn your hair first, get it under control and then find ways to incorporate heat back into your life which might include upping the protein.
*If your hair is protein sensitive have you tried adding an egg to your moisturizing dc?
*When your hair is in braids are you spritzing it with some kind of moisturizer? Even with weaves..are you spritzing the braids? Spritz, Spritz, Spritz mama!

I strongly suggest leaving your hair alone by using braid extensions until your hair reaches shoulder length. When it gets to your shoulders, you can do more protective styles like baggying/phony ponies and updos. Good luck, love!

OP, u have received excellent tips in this thread. Put these practices into action and your hair WILL thrive.

Where was your starting hair length? Hair mostly only grows 1/2" a month. Sometimes you just have to be patient and give your hair time. I often go through periods of very slow hair growth. And then sometimes I'll get a growth spurt.

OP, u have received excellent tips in this thread. Put these practices into action and your hair WILL thrive.

yes I have decided to roller set my own hair once a week. Im geting a bonnet dryer tomorrow, hopefully. im only going to flat iron when my roots need to be tamed. Im thinking about getting a relaxer saturday, im not too sure yet. after searching and going thru thread after thread here's the regimen I came up with:

once a week, pre poo - still looking for a good product to use for this.
wash once a week with paul mitchell tea tree shampoo ( other suggestions for a good shampoo are also welcome)
condition with aphogee 2 min
deep condition with matrix biolage
roller set with water,chi silk infusion and a dallop of setting foam
take rollers down, silk wrap
3 or 4 times a week, moe grow oil

vitamins : considering nioxin, and biotin. upping my exercise an water intake, protein also. is there anything else I should be adding ladies?

I loved rollersetting when I was relaxed!! I don't know enough about the tea tree shampoo to comment on it, but I think the rest of the routine sounds good. msa mentioned coconut oil as a prepoo; I was going to suggest that or vatika oil, which is souped-up coconut oil, with added amla, henna and lemon. I lurves it!!! I'm not a huge fan of the smell, which is why I use it primarily as a prepoo.

The only thing I think you're missing is a moisturizer for during the week. I've heard good things about Herbal Essenses Long-Term Relationship Split End Mender (the leave in conditioner). I can't specifically comment just because I'm natural and I never moisturized during the week when I was relaxed (bad me, I know).

I do also take a vitamin supplement. I've never used nioxin, but I'm sure ladies here can comment on it. I do take 3000mcg of biotin per day; I know some people have acne-like problems at high doses, so do keep that in mind.

Make sure to keep the hair wrapped at night so you're not rubbing up against anything that will harm the hair. A satin pillowcase and wrap work wonders.

Good luck!! I think with that and protective styling, you're well on your way!

I don't know what else to do! i've tried protective styles, better products, etc etc, what do you guys suggest? my next step is going straight to doing my own doobies at home, and henna treatments in black (still looking up info on how to do that). I'm getting my ends clipped as soon as I get home from vacation. for the last 3 weeks i've been cowashing daily and half wigging it and it's made my hair thicker, that I will say. but idk what else to do. all tips and advice is appreciated. TIA

I would suggest you continue what you're doing and don't concern yourself with growth. Watching hair grow, is like watching grass grow, it takes time.

I cut my hair last hair and was surprised to see how well it grew within a year and I think it's all because I didn't really focus on growth, I just do whatever I needed to do to keep it healthy and be on my way, it is growing as long as you have new growth, it's growing

Back