I just can't believe I'm doing this!!

melodee

I just can\'t believe I\'m doing this!!

That is washing my hair three+ times a week. It goes against everything I've been told about black hair. But it makes perfect sense. If a white person's scalp can get dirty and they don't apply oils( they have alot of natural oil flow), then our can definately get that way too. I have dry scalp that flakes and I used to wash once a week. I thought that was alot. Many girls wait two-three weeks. My biggest concern is the styling. But I guess i'll be okay learning how to style w/o heat. I'm glad i got y'all.

Re: I just can\'t believe I\'m doing this!!

I know what you mean. I used to wash my hair once every two weeks because I was always taught that too water would rot my hair away.
tongue.gif
Boy, how hokey that sounds now. The added moisture has been the best thing for my hair.
smile.gif

I know what ur going through. I use to wash my hair every 2 weeks because thats what i have always heard and now i presently wash every 3 days(97% of the time) and my hair does not fall out.
hope that helps
grin.gif

grin.gif
some of the things we been told while growin up are a trip coz amazingly the same hair myths exist both in america n africa which is really spooky
smile.gif

CarmenRose made a good thread about not washing the hair too often and I think she is right.

The key is to rinse the hair more often but not shampoo too often. Go back to shampooing the hair every 2 weeks but rinse more often. The water and your fingers tips (not your nails please) are sufficent enough to remove the dirt. Shampoo is damaging to the hair.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
JazzAngel said:
CarmenRose made a good thread about not washing the hair too often and I think she is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="purple"> Check out her post about why washing our hair with shampoo is not even necessary to get our hair clean. </font>

I've started (in the last month or so) washing my hair every 4-7 days, with shampoo. Obe brand (Desert essence Shea Butter) has sodium laureth sulfate, but the other one I alternate with (Kemit Sava'ge) doesn't list SLS or ALS as an ingredient. So far my scalp isn't as flaky (yay!) and the hair seems ok. Would it be better to only use an ALS/SLS free shampoo?
confused.gif

Daughter said:
I've started (in the last month or so) washing my hair every 4-7 days, with shampoo. Obe brand (Desert essence Shea Butter) has sodium laureth sulfate, but the other one I alternate with (Kemit Sava'ge) doesn't list SLS or ALS as an ingredient. So far my scalp isn't as flaky (yay!) and the hair seems ok. Would it be better to only use an ALS/SLS free shampoo?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so...I'm looking for one also(although I like my Elucence, which I dillute alot)....

melodee said:
That is washing my hair three+ times a week. It goes against everything I've been told about black hair. But it makes perfect sense. If a white person's scalp can get dirty and they don't apply oils( they have alot of natural oil flow), then our can definately get that way too. I have dry scalp that flakes and I used to wash once a week. I thought that was alot. Many girls wait two-three weeks. My biggest concern is the styling. But I guess i'll be okay learning how to style w/o heat. I'm glad i got y'all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you! When I was a child, my parents saw to it that my hair was washed every Sunday without fail! Somehow I stopped doing this and washed the hair every 2 weeks
blush.gif
oo: and blow-dried each time
blush.gif
I simply cou;dn't believe I could wash my hair every week AND not use heat... but thanks to this site and www.nappturality.com I see that I can and like you see less problems with my scalp
cool.gif
I 'm thinking I'll still wash my hair every 4/5 days and add a conditioner wash (looking for a conditioner to use) to my regimen too.

Back