I haven't seen my hair in almost a year

leona2025

The last post I did here about my hair was in December when I got my yearly flat iron. I have since been in knotless braids and twists. I have seen my hair when I blow it out myself for my braids, but that is rare and I can't remember the last time I did it.

I usually let my stylist wash and treat my hair before she does the next install. Right now I have soft locs and I will be having her remove them and I'm going into spring twist the same day. I leave my styles in 2 months.

Usually I like to give my hair a week or two break before my next style, but over the course of the year that has not happened. None of my styles have been tight in any way. From what I remember my hair is still full and healthy. I guess I'm concerned that I may potentially damage my hair with back to back installs even if they are low tension and low manipulation?

I'm at my hair goal pretty much as far the length and health of my hair, but I just don't want to deal with my hair anymore. I really wish I could give this hair to my younger self when it was important to me. :lachen: I'm just wondering if anyone has anyone maintained the health of their hair in protective styles long term?

I had looked into doing mini twists on my natural hair, but I was told that at max I can leave twists in 3 weeks before they start to loc. I'm just not interested in going to my stylist monthly for twists.

Same,

My problem here is the "stylists" want my hair bone straight before styling.
I'm so lucky to have found my stylist. I been going to her so many years I don't remember how I found her. I'm extremely tender headed, but I have thick thick tangly hair. She's the only one who has ever been able to do my hair without me crying lol.

I blow my hair out as good as I can lol. She always ok with it.

If braids didn't tear up my edges I would do this too :look: lol
Unsolicited Tip: In the past when I braided my hair I would cornrow my edges back about an inch before any "hanging" began. These cornrows would NOT be tight but they did include a bit of extension hair for uniformity. Braiders can do this but you'll have to insist and be detailed in your explanation, plus it could save them some time too.

Yup, this is how I grew my hair to WL both as a natural and texlaxed since 2009. I kept it PSd 99% of the time. I just alternated between cornrows (under scarves and wigs), twist extensions and mini braids with my own hair. The mini braids were for the summer so that I could wash/rinse my hair more often and the wigs and extensions were for cold weather. I only kept the styles in 3-4 weeks at a time.

I just made sure to stay up on my protein to keep my strands strong. I don't think my edges suffered any, I've always had really fine edges but they didn't worsen.

If you're concerned about your edges, maybe throw in a cornrowed style for a couple of weeks in between the extensions to give your edges a bit of a rest?

Back