I have finally mastered airdrying and no heat

Dogmd

After going back and forth for 3 years with my hair and using heat ( flat iron/ blow dryers) and swearing that my hair hated airdrying... I have finally figured out what was happening.

For the last 6 months I have been conditioning washing my hair and airdrying my hair daily. My hair has grown and has had virtually ZERO...and I mean ZERO breakage. I shed a few hairs in the shower when I detangle...but that is it. I discovered that I was iron deficient and once I started taking my iron supplements daily ...my hair COMPLETELY changed it's texture. The texture changed from dry, coarse and brittle to soft/ smooth and silky. The curl pattern of my new growth does not matt anymore...It just comes out smooth and wavy. I have been able to stretch my relaxer's easily now that I am no longer iron deficient. It didn't matter what products I used or how often I used them. My hair dryer and flat iron use to be the only way I could straighten my hair.

Before I discovered that I was iron deficient, I couldn't even rollerset my hair. The roots would be all puffy and would never lay down. My newgrowth was very unmanageable. I could barely get a comb thru it when I self- relaxed. Now my roots are as thick as ever, but the new growth is soft and smooth. I am absolutely amazed. I have never been able to go this long without using heat in my hair. I never thought it was possible for me. I would look at all of the people on this website who say they never used heat and was boggled at how they could do that. I can now use my caruso rollers and my hair comes out cute instead of a mess.

I am going to continueto practice no heat for as long as possible. Hopefully my growth continues and I can get my hair to reach my ultimate goal of below bra-strap. We shall see. But for many of you who swear that their hair hates airdrying, it might be time to check out whether or not you are deficient in any viatmin or mineral before you go spending a gang of money like I did on trying 50 zillion different hair products.

HTH

I'm glad you finally figured out what worked for you. I need to start back on my iron too, I am severely anemic and it may have something to do with my shedding. Thanks for sharing.

It has really made the difference for me. Now I just have to learn how to master the wet set and I am set!

That is such good news!! What type of iron do you take...it can be upseting to the stomach. I forgot my doctor told me to take it too:blush: I stopped because it was stoping up my plumbing so to speak.

What kind do you take and does it bother your tummy?

This may sound silly but

..............How did you figure out you were deficient in iron?

No it is not a silly question at all.. I went to the doctor for a checkup and they did routine annual bloodtests. I was moderately anemic, and my anemia was the result of being iron deficient per the doctor. The doctor immediately put me on prescription iron tablets and the rest is history.

That is such good news!! What type of iron do you take...it can be upseting to the stomach. I forgot my doctor told me to take it too:blush: I stopped because it was stoping up my plumbing so to speak.

What kind do you take and does it bother your tummy?

I really don't know what brand it is... it is by prescription. I don't have any problems with constipation, because I eat tons of raw fruit and veges. I take my iron with vitamin c and calcium for better absorption, so it doesn't bother my tummy!

I really don't know what brand it is... it is by prescription. I don't have any problems with constipation, because I eat tons of raw fruit and veges. I take my iron with vitamin c and calcium for better absorption, so it doesn't bother my tummy!

im iron deficient too..my MD put me on iron pills which made me constipated...so i stopped ...will start again as soon as i buy the less constipating brand she recommended....how long were u taking the iron supp b4 u started seeing results....
PS im glad u got to the root of the problem...now GRO hair GRO....:)

Thanks for sharing this. My doctor told me I needed iron for anemia several years ago and that made a huge difference for my body and hair, although I had not started my hair journey yet. It stopped the breakage I used to have from not getting enough blood supply to the roots.

Actually, iron is not sold by prescription, although a doctor such as yours may write a prescription. As of recent years, anyone can now buy it at the pharmacy. I sometimes buy mine at the health food store (different formulations) but the green or red ferrous sulphate iron tablets for $3.99 or so at the pharmacy are effective also, as long as vitamin C is taken at the same time. They can have many different brand names. :)

I too do not have any problems with constipation and take mine with vitamin C, as it's supposed to be taken.
Congratulations on mastering airdrying and no heat!! :up: It is a wonderful experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this. My doctor told me I needed iron for anemia several years ago and that made a huge difference for my body and hair, although I had not started my hair journey yet. It stopped the breakage I used to have from not getting enough blood supply to the roots.

Actually, iron is not sold by prescription, although a doctor such as yours may write a prescription. As of recent years, anyone can now buy it at the pharmacy. I sometimes buy mine at the health food store (different formulations) but the green or red ferrous sulphate iron tablets for $3.99 or so at the pharmacy are effective also, as long as vitamin C is taken at the same time. They can have many different brand names. :)

I too do not have any problems with constipation and take mine with vitamin C, as it's supposed to be taken.
Congratulations on mastering airdrying and no heat!! :up: It is a wonderful experience.

Hey there ISIS.. The iron that I take was sold by prescription and was dispensed by a pharmacist... not over the counter. My box has an RX label on it. I finally got around to looking at the box and it is KAISER PERMANENTE brand of Ferrous Sulfate ( 324 mg tablets) / Iron (65mg) . I take 2 a day. My OB didn't want me taking the "wrong" type of iron for my anemia. She made a point to tell me this. I had a microcytic hypochromic anemia and also lost tons of blood during my c-section soo... apparently the type of iron you take does make a difference. I would definately recommend anyone considering taking a supplement like iron to consult a dr first before purchasing and consuming it. She plans on checking my CBC in 3 months before taking me off of it or changing the dose.

HTH

Back